NYC cruise ships’ Covid exposure

BillDz

5 hours ago, BillDz said:

Relative to our population, the incidence of Covid or any other disease is very small. In the last week you'd see a large proportion of people with masks, but few people are outside, most are staying home.

If the incidence of COVID-19 is so small relative the population please explain why the hospital system is already overwhelmed, why they're installing 1,000 hospital beds in the Javits Center, why a 1,000 bed US Navy hospital ship is heading to NY City, and why the governor is begging for more ventilators and other necessary supplies.

You know why...because the incidence of the disease is extremely high when compared to other serious diseases and it's expected to get worse before it gets better.

13 hours ago, BillDz said:

Exactly. And why are they continuing to sell those cruises on their website?

Because they need money. People pay for an April cruise. Then they cancel the cruise. Now NCL either keeps the money for an extra 90 days if the person requests a refund, OR they keep it indefinitely if the person requests FCC.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

If the incidence of COVID-19 is so small relative the population please explain why the hospital system is already overwhelmed, why they're installing 1,000 hospital beds in the Javits Center, why a 1,000 bed US Navy hospital ship is heading to NY City, and why the governor is begging for more ventilators and other necessary supplies.

You know why...because the incidence of the disease is extremely high when compared to other serious diseases and it's expected to get worse before it gets better.

People don’t seem to listen, I placed a video on here the other day explaining how it spreads, I suppose certain people are still in the mindset it’s still the 😷 flu

5 hours ago, Trimone said:

If they can get fares, deposits off customers it’s money in their bank, all you get back is a promise plus 25%...

it is money in the ncl bank, that is what its all about, trying to avoid bk at any cost

14 hours ago, BillDz said:

Exactly. And why are they continuing to sell those cruises on their website?

They may be marketing the cruises, but they aren't selling anything, anywhere for the next few months. Ignore their high pricing....they need high prices to help support the refunds they owe and are going to owe. Have a look at stateroom availability by doing a mock booking. Airlines and hotel occupancy is reported to be below 20%. There is no reason to believe stateroom occupancy on ships is any different in the next few months.

If you are booked and want a cash refund, you have to wait it out, as difficult as that may be. If you have CFAR insurance, consider cancelling and get your refundables back. Cash is King right now, and the cruise lines may be running out of it.

Costa also just announced more cancellations, leaving NCL as one of the last few delaying a timely update to passengers with voyages scheduled to depart in 14 days or so.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

if you have 320 million people and 100,000 need a ventilator, that is by definition small relative to the population.  Yeah more beds more supplies because it looks like it will get worse, nyc could get very bad, work the problem be part of the solution.

We’re supposed to be going to Bermuda out of NYC on May 24. Even if the ship were to sail (which I really don’t expect), I can’t imagine any port letting a ship fro New York dock and let us all loose. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vicocala said:

I just signed up for an eleven day cruise on the Pearl, leaving out August 29th.  I'm optimistic things will normalize by then.

I am  on that same cruise and thinking of canceling.  I guess I will have to make up my mind before final payment is due next month.  I was thinking of canceling and if the virus is gone by July rebook it.  I bet the ship will be only half full by then.  I had a cruise April 10th that was cancelled so I am feeling a bit hesitant.

We are booked on the Encore out of NYC 24MAY20 to Bermuda.  I agree this cruise is not going to go not way NYC is going to let that many people in and around the city anytime soon.  Why in the world is NCL waiting to cancel their NYC spring/summer season?  My take is they are hoping people cancel on their own thus only option for them is a Future Cruise Credit.   I can't use FCC and have to wait for NCL to cancel so I can get a full refund.  I understand the situation NCL is in and I am sure they are fearful that they may not get through this and a FCC with be worthless.

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That, but also, because the US operates hospitals (and medicine in general) on a for-profit system, extra capacity is lost money - empty beds have cost but don't bring in revenue.

Because of this, the US healthcare system tries to operate as close to max capacity as possible.  The upside of this is PROFIT!, but the downside is that if there's even a small bump in critical care cases, it can overload the entire system.  (And this is much more than a small bump)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Named-Tawny said:

That, but also, because the US operates hospitals (and medicine in general) on a for-profit system, extra capacity is lost money - empty beds have cost but don't bring in revenue.

Because of this, the US healthcare system tries to operate as close to max capacity as possible.  The upside of this is PROFIT!, but the downside is that if there's even a small bump in critical care cases, it can overload the entire system.  (And this is much more than a small bump)

You're wrong.The vast majority of US hospitals are voluntary not-for-profit or government run. Only 25 % are for-profit.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/hospitals-by-ownership/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

• Like 1