When will "All be clear"

Narcussist

I love sailing and will continue to do so. Booked Panorama 9/12. But when the government gives the all clear to travel, how ALL CLEAR will it be? I think the cruise industry is in for a rude awakening. SOME of my friends and family think I'm nuts to ever get on a ship again that carries 5000 people on it. You know.....they may be right. But as Bon Jovi says "It's my life Life and its now or never, I ain't gonna live forever" Discussion?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I love sailing and will continue to do so. Booked Panorama 9/12. But when the government gives the all clear to travel, how ALL CLEAR will it be? I think the cruise industry is in for a rude awakening. SOME of my friends and family think I'm nuts to ever get on a ship again that carries 5000 people on it. You know.....they may be right. But as Bon Jovi says "It's my life Life and its now or never, I ain't gonna live forever" Discussion?

Carnival's CEO just said they are prepared to shutter for the remaining of the year. Soooo, IMO, they are keenly aware of the timeline + it's our government that's in for the rude awakening. Course, they know the truth, they just never seem to be able to speak it (BOTH SIDES!!!)

If anyone sails in 2020, I will be surprised. Spanish Flu ultimately was beaten, so COVID-19 will be as well.

Cruising gets burdened a little more than other forms of travel, but ultimately I think airlines are going to have to make some changes in this as well that make flying less convenient and more expensive.

6 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

SOME of my friends and family think I'm nuts to ever get on a ship again that carries 5000 people on it. You know.....they may be right.

Will they think you are nuts to get on a ship with only 2500 people on it?

Will they think you are nuts to go to a sporting event with 25,000 people in attendance?

Will they think you are nuts to fly on an airplane with 250 people on it?

Will they think you are nuts to go to a theater, concert or show with 1250 other people there?

Will they think you are nuts to get on a bus with 25 people on it?

Will they think you are nuts to get on an elevator with 6 people on it?

Pay attention to the science, medical and travel advice being issued by the CDC and the experts. Assess your own personal risks.

If you allow friends and family to dictate your every movement you might as well just stay home forever.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a cruise in November.  I have stopped buying things for it.  So no plane tickets yet or rental car for pre cruise stay.  Did excursions on a credit card so can cancel.  I plan to decide by final payment in August. 

I was watching a nature show and saw penguins standing in mass at the edge of a cliff, they push a few in front off to see if they get ate, if not the rest jump in.  I'd like to be the guy in back watching some cruises go by a little while and not get ate up by coronavirus before my turn.  I really don't have much faith in that going on by August. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Let's not lose sight of the fact there will be another strand to mutate off this. Might there be a vaccine for Covid-19 by then possibly. Will it be effective for for next round?

I wouldn't cruise for at least a year. As Covid-19 changes daily on projection ( here in Ohio they are saying mid May to peak) it just a guessing game. 

It will  be interesting on Monday what the cruise lines say. One can be hopeful or realistic. Right now with cruises that's a fine line.

3 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

SOME of my friends and family think I'm nuts to ever get on a ship again that carries 5000 people on it. You know.....they may be right. But as Bon Jovi says "It's my life Life and its now or never, I ain't gonna live forever" Discussion?

This past December, I caught the flu from somebody on the Valor. It laid me up for over a week. My wife has caught strep throat from one of our cruises. It happens and sometimes it's unavoidable. We could all take your friends' advice and never cruise again, but we'll still catch those illnesses in our everyday lives. For a majority of healthy people who contract coronavirus, it presents itself similar to a mild or moderate cold or flu. I'll be mindful and cautious, but I refuse to live in fear of this thing.

We were on the Horizon earlier this month, its last cruise before the shut-down. At that time, we were safer on the ship and at our ports of call. We were much more at risk when we got back to the States since there were already a few hundred cases in FL, over 150 in our home state, plus over 500 cases combined in the states we drove through to get home. That compared to none on the ship and only six total across four islands...two of which had no cases at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRocks said:

Carnival's CEO just said they are prepared to shutter for the remaining of the year. Soooo, IMO, they are keenly aware of the timeline

That video was posted yesterday. He said they, as a company, have financially prepared themselves in case the shut-down lasts the rest of the year. That's not the same as saying they expect to be out the rest of the year or that they're considering it, or anything like that. They've simply taken steps to prepare themselves financially for a worst case scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

That video was posted yesterday. He said they, as a company, have financially prepared themselves in case the shut-down lasts the rest of the year. That's not the same as saying they expect to be out the rest of the year or that they're considering it, or anything like that. They've simply taken steps to prepare themselves financially for a worst case scenario.

I didn't say ALL THAT, you did!

My take is cruise lines were one of the first to be    Impacted by the virus and will be the very last to be up and running.  If a vaccine cane be made in 18-24 months I would expect the first cruise to be at least 6 months after. 

On 3/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, NavyCruiser said:

Define:  "rampant"

I would think that a scrubbed down cruise ship is probably safer & the virus is less rampant onboard than it is in NYC right now...

It doesn’t matter how scrubbed down the ship is. One person boards who doesn’t know they are carrying the virus and it’s the Princess ships all over again.

I have one in December.  I will cancel for sure.  No one will be safe if there is no vaccine.  I am hoping that when there is one, they will make everyone show proof of vaccination.  They are making the over 70 group  submit a health certificate from your Dr.  I don’t see how anyone can go before there is a vaccine.  It will not be safe no matter what they sanitize.

9 hours ago, CRocks said:

Carnival's CEO just said they are prepared to shutter for the remaining of the year. Soooo, IMO, they are keenly aware of the timeline + it's our government that's in for the rude awakening. Course, they know the truth, they just never seem to be able to speak it (BOTH SIDES!!!)

Do you happen to have a reference for this statement?

On 3/27/2020 at 1:10 PM, NYcruzzer said:

My guess is that Carnival will do a slow rollout end of May. Starting with Florida, SC, and Texas.Do not think NYC will be ready for sailings before July at the earliest.  I also think Carnival will pull all ships from NYC this season. 

I have no proof, but I believe there are a lot more cases of COVID 19 in Texas than reported.  I don’t believe that cruises will start back until August at the earliest.  The middle of the country is starting to have more cases.  Houston and the surrounding areas are very densely populated.  

1 minute ago, Hobby3333 said:

I have no proof, but I believe there are a lot more cases of COVID 19 in Texas than reported.  I don’t believe that cruises will start back until August at the earliest.  The middle of the country is starting to have more cases.  Houston and the surrounding areas are very densely populated.  

Yep I agree with you.  Here in Louisiana the #'s are going up up up daily.  Not in our specific parish (thank you Father) but close by.   I know it's taking a toll financially on so many but hoping they don't relax their stance on letting people get back to work, etc around Easter.  Too soon.  I think they should go through end of April.   Only get out for necessities.  

I was hoping to book another cruise on the PANORAMA in November. Then when I looked at that deposit amount and the possibility of Carnival doing a  bankruptcy and reorganization, the thought of throwing away that deposit soured me on the idea. 🙂

The same thought occurred to me when playing with the idea of buying 100 shares of Carnival when it hit $7.99/share, but then it went away.

Edited by glrounds

6 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I was hoping to book another cruise on the PANORAMA in November. Then when I looked at that deposit amount and the possibility of Carnival doing a  bankruptcy and reorganization, the thought of throwing away that deposit soured me on the idea. 🙂

The same thought occurred to me when playing with the idea of buying 100 shares of Carnival when it hit $7.99/share, but then it went away.

You could have bought out at $8 and sold it at $14. People don't have to hang on to the stock long term to make a profit.

Edited by TNcruising02

Just curious on opinions? How long can carnival survive without filing bankruptcy? And when this is over and ships are not full when they start back sailing will they retire some of the older ships like fantasy? I live close to mobile and love sailing out of that port. But I am afraid they will retire some of the older ships and close some of the small ports like mobile. I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 3/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, NavyCruiser said:

Define:  "rampant"

I would think that a scrubbed down cruise ship is probably safer & the virus is less rampant onboard than it is in NYC right now...

Until you bring together thousands of guests from all over the US, who are exposed to other people in transit to the ship. The ship is only clean until 1 sick/exposed person gets on it.