Queen Elizabeth Circumnavigation of Australia

I guess Cunard will make a call sooner or later, what is the issue, waiting on a refund or are they still selling it? Carnival cancelled our cruise next week, they say up to 8 weeks for our refund, guess our money, that they had had for a few months already, is in the short term money market keeping them afloat.

I suspect many cruise lines are just spreading the load of cancellations so they don't have to refund too much all at one time. We're still waiting for the official cancellation of our May Europe cruise with Crystal. It's frustrating from our perspective, especially as they are saying up to 90 days for the refund to be processed. 

• Like 1

I read an article yesterday in the Independent (UK) that as a package it is still being sold in UK. The journalist did a successful test booking, as reported.  It was suggested that by keeping the package open, some would cancel voluntarily and in that case would get FCC and not a full refund. With the severe UK and Australian travel restrictions, there would be no chance of the cruise or flight going ahead.

Edited by megsie

2 hours ago, megsie said:

I read an article yesterday in the Independent (UK) that as a package it is still being sold in UK. The journalist did a successful test booking, as reported.  It was suggested that by keeping the package open, some would cancel voluntarily and in that case would get FCC and not a full refund. With the severe UK and Australian travel restrictions, there would be no chance of the cruise or flight going ahead.

It has since been taken down from sale. Probably got a few enquiries after that article! 

On 3/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, GUT2407 said:

I guess Cunard will make a call sooner or later, what is the issue, waiting on a refund or are they still selling it? Carnival cancelled our cruise next week, they say up to 8 weeks for our refund, guess our money, that they had had for a few months already, is in the short term money market keeping them afloat.

How did it get to this stage where we allow cruise lines to demand big deposits so far in advance.  Eg HAL World Cruise 2023.

You wouldn't put a huge deposit on a new car which hasn't been released yet.  $100 would demonstrate your interest in buying the car once available for sale. 

To add insult to injury, they then take far too long to give you your own money back when they don't supply the product.

Cruiselines have been a law unto themselves for far too long.

I just heard one management figure state that their ship should be able to stay in Australian waters because Sydney is really their base because they cruise from Sydney for 6 months of year.  No matter that the ships are registered in Bermuda.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

How did it get to this stage where we allow cruise lines to demand big deposits so far in advance.  Eg HAL World Cruise 2023.

You wouldn't put a huge deposit on a new car which hasn't been released yet.  $100 would demonstrate your interest in buying the car once available for sale. 

To add insult to injury, they then take far too long to give you your own money back when they don't supply the product.

Cruiselines have been a law unto themselves for far too long.

I just heard one management figure state that their ship should be able to stay in Australian waters because Sydney is really their base because they cruise from Sydney for 6 months of year.  No matter that the ships are registered in Bermuda.

There is a plan now in place for getting the ships to return. Armed services involved in testing, treating, then repatriation.