How long is it taking to get refunds on cancelled Cruise Planner items?

DebInAntigua

I cancelled 5 shore excursions, two drinks package upgrades and a speciality restaurant booking. Did this in the cruise planner on 13th March for our cruise that was due to sail on 3rd April. 
Got cancellation email straight away but as yet have had no refund.

10 hours ago, Roddo said:

I cancelled 5 shore excursions, two drinks package upgrades and a speciality restaurant booking. Did this in the cruise planner on 13th March for our cruise that was due to sail on 3rd April. 
Got cancellation email straight away but as yet have had no refund.

Update. Today I received a refund for all of these 

33 minutes ago, Roddo said:

Update. Today I received a refund for all of these 

Cool as it seems I am 3 days behind you fingers crossed I may get something soon then 🤞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_W said:

Cool as it seems I am 3 days behind you fingers crossed I may get something soon then 🤞

Yes, I cancelled mine on the 15th, so hopefully tomorrow or Monday! My excursions were for a later cruise I'm still on, but picked the couple of excursions I felt ok cancelling for now and will rebook later.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, Al_W said:

Cancelled my shore ex for May 16 sailing on Silhouette on March 16, still not received any refunds yet to my CC.

Refund showing on my CC today 🙂

As of recently, I’ve decided to close one of my credit cards. It’s happen that I used that card for the deposits for two cruises. What can I do in this case? How I will be able to receive refunds?
Is anyone having the same problem?
Thanks

4 minutes ago, txd said:

As of recently, I’ve decided to close one of my credit cards. It’s happen that I used that card for the deposits for two cruises. What can I do in this case? How I will be able to receive refunds?
Thanks

You'll have to wait for them to hit and then request for the credit card company to mail you a check. 😞

19 minutes ago, txd said:

Just a thought: If you have a yearly fee due soon, I understand closing it. But if not, why not wait and just stop using it until you get the refund?

BTW, if it is a credit rating issue, be aware that closing a card can actually decrease your rating if you have other outstanding consumer debt. This is because it will make your existing debt-to-available-credit ratio higher. (And then they also punish you if you have too much available credit even if you don't use it. Gotta love 'em. If you are closing it to deal with this, forget my other comment.)

10 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Just a thought: If you have a yearly fee due soon, I understand closing it. But if not, why not wait and just stop using it until you get the refund?

BTW, if it is a credit rating issue, be aware that closing a card can actually decrease your rating if you have other outstanding consumer debt. This is because it will make your existing debt-to-available-credit ratio higher. (And then they also punish you if you have too much available credit even if you don't use it. Gotta love 'em. If you are closing it to deal with this, forget my other comment.)

I booked B2B Cruises a year ago. Two months ago My husband decided to close one credit card. It’s happened the one we used for the deposits. 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:55 AM, txd said:

Thanks

Actually if you close your credit card a couple things could happen.

If you have other credit card accounts with that bank the credit will likely automatically transfer to your other card

If you have no other accounts with the credit card bank the refund will likely bounce back to Celebrity.  They then will need to reach out to you and ultimately send a check.  That will take a week or two or three.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:20 PM, DebInAntigua said:

That is unacceptable. They have systems in place to refund directly to credit cards without long delays, so if they are now refunding only after several weeks or even longer, that's a deliberate delay to help their cash flow. Which for many customers mean that people are paying interest on things that should have been refunded promptly. Not very fair to customers, sadly.

As the OP of this thread, I’m glad to hear you’ve finally received your refunds. I know the waiting is frustrating. While I’m not waiting for Cruise Planner purchases, I am waiting for a refundable airline ticket I cancelled with Flights by Celebrity on March 20. I was told 7-10 days for refund, but still patiently waiting. 

In reading your first post, I’m thinking you first applied for refunds on/around March 22? So in your experience is it safe to say it took you roughy 3 weeks to see the refunds?

Do you still feel it was a deliberate delay for cash flow purposes vs. a mountain of bookings to process?

I’m glad you’ve been made whole from the purchases you applied for refund. And hope your late 2020/2021 cruises actually sail! And with you aboard! 😉

I have been waiting over a month and received nothing. TA  has also been given th run around. Phones been disconnected in Australia and when I ring the US office they say I have to ring the Aust office. Tearing my hair out.

I learned from canceling the cruise planner purchases for a May 16 cruise right before I called and cancelled the cruise (50% plus taxes/fees). The refunds were all lumped together for one processing they told me and it took 25 days for credit card refund. I called yesterday and requested and was approved the remaining 50% fare as FCC.

I canceled cruise planner purchases March 29 for a Jan cruise and only took 11 days (April 9) for the credit card refund. I waited and canceled the cruise March 31 - still waiting for that refundable deposit to be credited.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

I have had two cruises cancelled by Celebrity: March 15th - Silhouette and May 11th - Solstice. As of today, April 10th, I have received exactly zero refunds. Both cruises had shore excursions which have not been refunded. Both cruises were cancelled by Celebrity and I requested 100% refunds, but nothing yet. I have received only 1 communication from Celebrity: that being an email stating that the shore excursions on the March 15th cruise would be refunded within "two billing cycles" or 60 days. Even with the unprecedented virus pandemic, this is UNACCEPTABLE. Just in case Celebrity declares bankruptcy, I have prepared claims for both cruises with my travel insurance company. Even though my wife and I have taken nearly 40 cruises on RCCL/Celebrity over the last 22 years, I think we are done with RCCL/Celebrity. Maybe done cruising forever.

• 3 weeks later...

Celebrity cancelled our April 30th Alaska cruise, and I had my travel agent request a refund way back in March. Yesterday, I finally got a refund, but it was about $2,000 short, and the credit card showed the merchant as "Royal Caribbean" instead of "Celebrity." (I realize it's essentially the same company, but when I booked it, my credit card statement showed "Celebrity" for the charge, not RCCL.)

I've called my travel agent to work this out. There's nothing in the booking that would account for the refund being $2,000 short. Celebrity cancelled it, so there shouldn't be any penalty. And I didn't book any shore excursions, so there aren't any additional charges. The travel insurance was only about $700, so even that doesn't account for the difference. (And since Celebrity cancelled the cruise, the insurance should be refunded as it was never "activated" because the trip never began.)