Further Cancellations - Alaska, San Francisco, Radiance and Legend

lensonlife

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I think he meant to say "zero chance of walking away from a ship" as in there is too much invested to just desert the project at this stage. Just a guess.

Seemed obvious as I wrote it, but you are correct.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 10:58 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Seemed obvious as I wrote it, but you are correct.

@jimbo5544, your casual colloquialisms often cause confusion and conundrums amongst the common folk.

😉

(I got what you meant, but I can see how the context might be hard to grasp if not following post by post, which is what I just did in catching up.)

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

@jimbo5544, your casual colloquialisms often cause confusion and conundrums amongst the common folk.

😉

(I got what you meant, but I can see how the context might be hard to grasp if not following post by post, which is what I just did in catching up.)

Lol, was really not trying to be cute and thought it was clear.  That said, I will try to cut down on my casual colloquialisms.  Formal ones are are always better...😉😃

1 hour ago, bstel said:

per the letter cancelling all cruises through May 11, Radiance was also cancelled April 29, May 9, May 21, May 30, June 11.

Again, we are not talking about the European cruises for Radiance which have been cancelled as you pointed out. We’ve been told by Carnival that the late June to October NYC sailings off Radiance are in jeopardy bc they had to stop the dry dock in Spain, all of those cruises are no longer bookable so we’re kind of in limbo and want answers to move our plans

15 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Again, we are not talking about the European cruises for Radiance which have been cancelled as you pointed out. We’ve been told by Carnival that the late June to October NYC sailings off Radiance are in jeopardy bc they had to stop the dry dock in Spain, all of those cruises are no longer bookable so we’re kind of in limbo and want answers to move our plans

Until they reach a time where one of several things happen, you wont get what you want.  These are:  1, the build cycle for the transformation to the Radiance exceeds the time to get to NYC to meet your cruise or 2, New York decides it cannot restart cruising due to the current disaster.  So you are in limbo till one of these events change.  Carnival wants you to cruise.  

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Until they reach a time where one of several things happen, you wont get what you want.  These are:  1, the build cycle for the transformation to the Radiance exceeds the time to get to NYC to meet your cruise or 2, New York decides it cannot restart cruising due to the current disaster.  So you are in limbo till one of these events change.  Carnival wants you to cruise.  

Do you know the build time is for the transformation?  And, I guess, how long will it take to get to NY?

I don’t think the transformation was supposed to take long- month and a half maybe! I remember feeling surprised at how quickly they could overhaul a ship of that size! And I believe they were scheduled to sail at the end of April. 

9 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

I don’t think the transformation was supposed to take long- month and a half maybe! I remember feeling surprised at how quickly they could overhaul a ship of that size! And I believe they were scheduled to sail at the end of April. 

I think I read 38 days. We're scheduled for August 10, so for now we're staying with it.

• Like 1

I'm going to start with a little back story, as everything I'm worried about now has a base in my short past with Carnival. During the fall of 2019, my husband decided he wanted to go on vacation for his birthday in February of 2020. We booked a cruise to Cuba with Carnival. It was our first booking with them. Then the laws changed and we were no longer allowed to cruise to Cuba. Obviously not Carnival's fault. However, it seemed like the other cruise lines were offering generous cancellation or rebooking options, while Carnival had offers for bookings through December of 2019. After that, you were out of luck. We had made a non refundable deposit. Ultimately, our overnight Cuban cruise turned into a fairly expensive Bahamas cruise with a stop in Nassau. Regardless of who made what decisions, that is what we were stuck with. We made the best of it - we took full advantage of the perks included with our spa cabin and enjoyed Half Moon Cay. 

We decided to give Carnival another chance, and booked a cruise to Bermuda out of NYC on the Radiance for fall of 2020. Radiance refurbishment - halted due to COVID 19. NYC - COVID 19 hotspot. Again, not Carnival's fault. However, we don't trust them to help us. I received an email stating that we'd know their decision by today, but I have yet to hear anything. Honestly,  I fully expect them to stick us on another ship to a random location without any other choice. Their contract says they can. I'd really like to try and stick the wait out to see what's going to happen, but my uneasiness with Carnival is nudging me towards cancelling now. 

Any constructive opinions or thoughts for this anxious traveler? 

14 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

We’re over here waiting on the same decision sadly to see if we’ll sail or not. 

I was definitely surprised there wasn’t more information in that communication today. I mean, if Carnival knows 100% that Radiance isn’t sailing before November- it seems they would have just gone ahead and said so (like they did with the European sails). SO maybe they’re thinking they can get the ship together and back to NYC for summer or early fall sailings? Again, if they’ve already thrown the towel in, they should just let the customer know. What’s actually going on is anyone’s guess 😅. I was in a ‘hurry up and wait’ frame of mind pre-COVID. Now I’m in no hurry for my vacation to get here! Hopefully the humans will stay still... this is getting worse by the minute. 

4 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

I was definitely surprised there wasn’t more information in that communication today. I mean, if Carnival knows 100% that Radiance isn’t sailing before November- it seems they would have just gone ahead and said so (like they did with the European sails). SO maybe they’re thinking they can get the ship together and back to NYC for summer or early fall sailings? Again, if they’ve already thrown the towel in, they should just let the customer know. What’s actually going on is anyone’s guess 😅. I was in a ‘hurry up and wait’ frame of mind pre-COVID. Now I’m in no hurry for my vacation to get here! Hopefully the humans will stay still... this is getting worse by the minute. 

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. It’s tough to be in limbo and they have to have some kind of worst case scenario discussion to pull the sailings from sale. Guessing right now they just don’t want anyone else booking cruises “in jeopardy” of not sailing. At this point, I’m thinking they’ll be lucky to get it done, crewed, and ready to be here by August but who knows. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. It’s tough to be in limbo and they have to have some kind of worst case scenario discussion to pull the sailings from sale. Guessing right now they just don’t want anyone else booking cruises “in jeopardy” of not sailing. At this point, I’m thinking they’ll be lucky to get it done, crewed, and ready to be here by August but who knows. 

I just saw on tonight’s news that Spain is the third hardest hit Country by COVID-19 after USA and Italy. That’s where our ship is. 

50 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

There is very little they know for certainty, way to many variables outside of their control.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

Any constructive opinions or thoughts for this anxious traveler? 

This helped me (a little) when considering our September cruise out of NYC on the Radiance. A member of our FB group for the cruise emailed John Heald. Here is her question and his response:

We have a group scheduled to sail on the Radiance Sept 27th out of NYC. The cruise has been taken down from the website but we still have access to our cruise planner. ANY information you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

From John Heald: Hello, at the moment we hope this cruise will go ahead as scheduled and once work starts again in Spain we will of course be able to let you know if there are any changes. But for now please keep your bookings and of course if we need to we will take great care of you.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mother27 said:

This helped me (a little) when considering our September cruise out of NYC on the Radiance. A member of our FB group for the cruise emailed John Heald. Here is her question and his response:

We have a group scheduled to sail on the Radiance Sept 27th out of NYC. The cruise has been taken down from the website but we still have access to our cruise planner. ANY information you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

From John Heald: Hello, at the moment we hope this cruise will go ahead as scheduled and once work starts again in Spain we will of course be able to let you know if there are any changes. But for now please keep your bookings and of course if we need to we will take great care of you.

Thanks for sharing his response. I just don't want to be stuck on another cruise headed somewhere we have zero interest in going. I guess I will be joining the wait and see crowd 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

So, the way I see this, there is no cruise season for New York this year

so far the Carnival Sunrises sailing out NYC for May-October is still on the website. i wonder how long before those disappear and get canceled.

• Thanks 1

I'm in NYC....they just put up a temp hospital across the street from me.

I'd like to rebook for an Oct cruise...but....I will say this quite frankly and from the bottom of my heart...if I did not live here there's no way I'd come here for a long time.

I go out weekly (run across the street to drugstore at 8 am) and everyone (not that there are many) is wearing a mask....and moving quickly.

14 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I'm in NYC....they just put up a temp hospital across the street from me.

I'd like to rebook for an Oct cruise...but....I will say this quite frankly and from the bottom of my heart...if I did not live here there's no way I'd come here for a long time.

I go out weekly (run across the street to drugstore at 8 am) and everyone (not that there are many) is wearing a mask....and moving quickly.

😪 stay safe