Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, jk04 said:

I know it's supposedly taboo to talk about monopoly violations, but honestly, for a meme?  (Graham).  Unless there was some shenanigans later. 

And, I didn't see anything that you posted that I thought was bad, at least in that thread... :classic_huh:

My first violation, (just a reminder point, no Monopoly time) was for responding to a post stating "bring on the popcorn" on a thread topic that was getting pretty wild.  I simply stated with a smile "make mine with butter"...that was it.  Just that sentence.  Guess that was the wrong thing to do.  🤔🤨

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ahh...OK.  That's why I hadn't heard of it.  Bucky has a hard head, luckily, but not his back and shoulder.  He took a hit in the back one day in the swamps, but being the guy with the huge radio on his back (probably why he was targeted) the radio took the brunt of the blast.  He still has tiny bits of radio shrapnel coming up to peek out of his skin at times.  😮   He has partial disability...but doesn't tell anyone.  

Worst thing is that hard head....  😉   that is where the real disability is.  😜

Now where have I heard that before. 🤔

If Bucky doesn't have a service connected disability rating, he may want to consider going back to the VA for an evaluation. I know from my own experiences the VA has made huge improvements (especially the last 4 years) compared to when I first started getting help from the VA back in the mid 70's.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

And thank you to your husband for his service. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Do check with your county tax office.  It is my understanding all states offer some type of property tax exemption for a vet with at least a 10% service connected disability. Also the expanded base privileges. 

I also don't know what the expanded base privilege's are, but it's probably not for Mike.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Now where have I heard that before. 🤔

If Bucky doesn't have a service connected disability rating, he may want to consider going back to the VA for an evaluation. I know from my own experiences the VA has made huge improvements (especially the last 4 years) compared to when I first started getting help from the VA back in the mid 70's.

Thanks!  Though it has been a tough road just getting him to ask for help at all from the VA, but that is changing now.  

Sad thing is Bucky needed to separate himself so much from the whole thing when his two tours were over in Vietnam.  The reception he got from the "Baby killers" type mentalities here at home was as you know...a far cry from what the military gets now as they are considered returning hero.  He was shunned and worse.  Bought a small sail boat to shake it all off and took off for a couple of years in the Carib, doing whatever he needed to survive.  

His ex wife never wanted to hear about any of it.  Not until he met me, years later and I was able to talk him through it to stop the night sweats, the sitting upright and shouting in his sleep, and mostly the depression. Those are over now, thankfully.  

It's only been 10 years or so that, with my nudging...he has been going to the VA for his medical needs.  He has a wonderful relationship now with our local clinic.  He enjoys the staff there.  And is no longer afraid to ask for some military discounts at places.  He is a changed man.  Though I think he still misses growing his own Oregano from many years ago.  😉 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

You couldn't before? That doesn't make any sense since we allowed to or am I missing something?

No. Is your husband a retired vet? I'm not. So no base privilege's prior to 2020 for a vet with a service connected disability.  I've always had limited base privileges as I worked for DOD/USAF as a civilian (CSRS) for almost 40 years after getting out of the service.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Though it has been a tough road just getting him to ask for help at all from the VA, but that is changing now.  

Sad thing is Bucky needed to separate himself so much from the whole thing when his two tours were over in Vietnam.  The reception he got from the "Baby killers" type mentalities here at home was as you know...a far cry from what the military gets now as they are considered returning hero.  He was shunned and worse.  Bought a small sail boat to shake it all off and took off for a couple of years in the Carib, doing whatever he needed to survive.  

His ex wife never wanted to hear about any of it.  Not until he met me, years later and I was able to talk him through it to stop the night sweats, the sitting upright and shouting in his sleep, and mostly the depression. Those are over now, thankfully.  

It's only been 10 years or so that, with my nudging...he has been going to the VA for his medical needs.  He has a wonderful relationship now with our local clinic.  He enjoys the staff there.  And is no longer afraid to ask for some military discounts at places.  He is a changed man.  Though I think he still misses growing his own Oregano from many years ago.  😉 

I totally understand and can relate. Peace. 🍷

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

No. Is your husband a retired vet? I'm not. So no base privilege's prior to 2020 for a vet with a service connected disability.  I've always had limited base privileges as I worked for DOD/USAF as a civilian (CSRS) for almost 40 years after getting out of the service.  

Hmmm...sounds like you have some rocket scientist in you.  😉 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I totally understand and can relate. Peace. 🍷

Thanks Dave!  Yeah, he went through some crap...but shook it off, and you would never think he was that same man anymore.  Outgoing, happy, enjoys life....  🤗

Can't wait to see you two sit down together for a beer someday...hopefully on a cruise soon!  🙂 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Hmmm...sounds like you have some rocket scientist in you.  😉 

Not a scientist, but worked as an electronic tech and then PM for the sustainment of the ground electronics (not the missile, but the Launch Command Center) for the ICBMs. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, island lady said:

Pat I'm so sorry to hear he went thru so much. Ot must have been horrifying. So glad he has you and we're able to help him. Unfortunately not all were so lucky. 😥

18 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes. Between active and the reserves he spent 27 years in and retired in 2012.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not a scientist, but worked as an electronic tech and then PM for the sustainment of the ground electronics (not the missile, but the Launch Command Center) for the ICBMs. 

Wow...very interesting career!  Thanks for all you did (and still do?).   Totally fascinating!  👍  Would definitely go way over this blonde's head!!  😉 

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Pat I'm so sorry to hear he went thru so much. Ot must have been horrifying. So glad he has you and we're able to help him. Unfortunately not all were so lucky. 😥

Yes. Between active and the reserves he spent 27 years in and retired in 2012.

Yes, as your DH can attest...it was very tough on them all.  They both lost so many of their friends, so very sad.  Thanks to your hubby for his service and all he has done for us all.  

• Like 1

Just now, island lady said:

Yes, as your DH can attest...it was very tough on them all.  They both lost so many of their friends, so very sad.  Thanks to your hubby for his service and all he has done for us all.  

Mike wasn't in Vietnam as he was to young and not in the military at that time. The closest he came to a war was in Bahrain in 2009.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Those Reubens look amazing, though I prefer them "ready made" 😉😁

I do too. We haven't been to a sit-down restaurant for a year. Have gotten take out about 6 times.

Since I've figured out how to make them, I prefer mine. All the stuff is spread out on the bread evenly. I use the meat to line the bread - restaurants usually put the kraut next to the bread so the bread gets soggy. I also don't bake with the dressing inside. We use a dipping sauce.

Pauline - although we all miss Graham, it's nice to meet you.

And to all the current and Veterans, police, and fire department personnel THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERBICE.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mets07 said:

Hi all, just took a walk during the latest snow event in Northern New Jersey.  Here are some photos. Perhaps later this week some of this stuff will actually start melting. 

20210222_135323 V2.jpg

20210222_134948.jpg

20210222_135142.jpg

20210222_141012.jpg

Brr...all these snow pictures are beautiful...but makes me shiver!  😮 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I do too. We haven't been to a sit-down restaurant for a year. Have gotten take out about 6 times.

Since I've figured out how to make them, I prefer mine. All the stuff is spread out on the bread evenly. I use the meat to line the bread - restaurants usually put the kraut next to the bread so the bread gets soggy. I also don't bake with the dressing inside. We use a dipping sauce.

I need to try to make those.  Never thought about it before, and in fact only recently started to really like the sandwiches!  

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Still, what he did was important.  And we thank him for that.  🙂 

Charlie was in Korea during the Vietnam War in 1966-67.  We didn’t realize for awhile how lucky he was not to go to Vietnam.  He said one week a group of them would go to Vietnam and the next week a group would go to Korea.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

I need to try to make those.  Never thought about it before, and in fact only recently started to really like the sandwiches!  

I butter the outside of the bread slices.

350 F oven. Bake 20 min, flip and bake about 15 min.

Works for any kind of "grilled" sandwich when you don't want all that grease. And you can control the portion size easier.

• Like 2