Norton Popup

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I don't believe it is a problem with Cruise Critic but a problem with a link that someone posted  and you clicked on and that on your computer is now linked to Cruise Critic.

It could be either one of those possibilities. 

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Install Adblock Plus. It's free. I never see any adds on CC.

Yes, that is the one I installed.  But, I needed to install the "new" version of Microsoft Edge to be able to use it as an extension.

8 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Every time I have 'clicked' on the Boards portion of the CC web site a pop up takes over the page and tells me my Windows 10 firewall has been breached and I must download their program. This is the only site I have had this happen; so, members beware.

Go into Settings and click Privacy and Services on LHS, clear Browsing History, Cookies, Cache. Close Browser and re-open. Might be worth restarting your PC. You have a choice of how far back to clear things, I chose a period that was well longer than instances of the pop up

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

We will check this out this morning.    If anyone can grab or has a screenshot, or the url that would be helpful. 

laura

On 4/2/2020 at 12:36 PM, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, this is not a Cruise Critic issue. Its a bad ad from the ad network.

The problem that I have only appears after I 'click' on the NCL part of the Boards page, not on any other part of my browsing.

Well, today I got a new one! I was reading a thread and all of a sudden the page blanked out and changed to "Hmm, we can't find this page" and my Norton popped up in the corner saying it had blocked an attack". I closed out right away so I couldn't grab a screen shot.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:47 AM, LauraS said:

We will check this out this morning.    If anyone can grab or has a screenshot, or the url that would be helpful. 

laura

I've been seeing this a ton as well and was able to grab a couple of screen shots.  This was in the NCL board just going to different posts, next pages, etc.

image.png.041d72c4b2eb1abf6c60280e3a16fdc7.png

image.thumb.png.5f34cb3abedd76249c918e7d7e093d6f.png

• Administrators

Thank you for the screenshots.   We never run any Google Ad popups, so we haven't subscribed to them.  Plus, we can easily see the "Norton" ads are scams because they are using incorrect grammar. 

I've checked to see if there are any urls posted to the forums with the websites found in your screenshots and haven't come across them. 

We're still looking into this.

• Administrators

Bottom line here:  wherever this came from it appears it has been downloaded to your computer.   I did a google search on these keywords: How to remove "Your Norton Subscription has expired today" popup  and quickly learned that this issue isn't a Cruise Critic issue but that something has been downloaded to your computer.  Please try doing the search, and reading up on how to remove from your computer.

I'm going on the assumption that everyone who is experiencing this issue is NOT on a MAC/iPad/iPhone. 

Edited to add:  I now see that someone has reported a popup while on their iPad.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 4/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, Tedferg said:

I had instances yesterday where SCAM popup said Norton or McAfee antivirus had expired. It only happened on Cruise Critic and possibly one Conversation, 'onboard Crown '  I am using iPad today have not visited CC on WINDOWS PC. 

Tedferg  I've been unable to locate a conversation 'onboard Crown"   Any chance it is something different?

7 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This is what I get on the Celebrity Boards when using Microsoft Edge.  I do not get it on Chrome. I have never used Norton Software.

image.thumb.png.2ce4c6713d599df6ce5ee310c4067e03.png

Yes I'm getting this now too. Tried to get a shot of it but it disappeared. Closed CC and opened it back up and the ad went away.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:44 AM, LauraS said:

Tedferg  I've been unable to locate a conversation 'onboard Crown"   Any chance it is something different?

Sorry, the thread was 'Currently on Coral Princess' however that thread does not cause the pop up any longer. Had the Norton Expired' pop up half an hour ago on a different CC thread. Since this topic was moved I forget to check it.

• Administrators

Hi there!  We are still looking into this.

Question:  has anyone received this when visiting NON-BOARD pages of our site?  The url would be:  www.cruisecritic.com/.  Maybe our homepage, or our news section, anything other than the boards.

Thanks,

Laura

4 hours ago, LauraS said:

Hi there!  We are still looking into this.

Question:  has anyone received this when visiting NON-BOARD pages of our site?  The url would be:  www.cruisecritic.com/.  Maybe our homepage, or our news section, anything other than the boards.

Thanks,

Laura

I have not received this anywhere on the www except the boards section of cc

• Thanks 1

Happened again this morning. I was scrolling through this particular thread.

With this Covid-19 thing, I'm probably on my PC 6 hours a day. The ONLY time something like this happens is on CruiseCritic.

image.thumb.png.19b5101e781bfb957d3c8b5b38a1090c.png

10 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Happened again this morning. I was scrolling through this particular thread.

With this Covid-19 thing, I'm probably on my PC 6 hours a day. The ONLY time something like this happens is on CruiseCritic.

image.thumb.png.19b5101e781bfb957d3c8b5b38a1090c.png

I agree. The only time I get it is when I'm on the CC boards. I don't go to other parts of the website. It only happens on Edge on my PC, not Edge on my phone. I've gotten it from various threads, not one in particular.

Just my perception but I get the feeling that the Mothership isn't putting too much effort into help CC figure out what's going on. Then again, I would imagine they've also been hit hard by the Covid-19 situation.