RCI cruise to Mediterranean

Hi

Can anyone advise please.  Booked on a RCI cruise to Spain at the end of June.  One week to go before I have to pay balance.  I can cancel the cruise 48 hours before departure and receive a FCC, but if the cruise line cancel the sailing, which I suspect they might, can I receive a cash refund?  If I cancel now and don't pay the balance I think I will lose the deposit.

I am in contact with my travel agent, but its taking a long time to get a reply as they are very sensibly working from home.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Daddynews

Presuming you booked from the UK.....

If you cancel, you lose your deposit.

And if the cruise line cancels you are entitled under UK law to a full cash refund.

Those are facts

The rest is just my opinion.....................

Cruise lines will be short of cash so a refund may take some time, they may try very hard - including lying about your rights -  to persuade you to accept a future cruise credit, they may even entice you to accept future cruise by offering more credit than you paid or freebies like upgrades or drinks packages - but bear in mind the strong possibility that their list prices for future cruises will go up, rendering any bonus irrelevant. It's also unlikely, but possible, that they go broke and you have to chase your card issuer for a refund, presuming that's how you paid for at least some of it. (I'm confident that the same cruises and ships will return - which is good for all of us,  but not 100% that they'll all remain in the same ownerships ie bought from liquidators - which probably isn't so good for their creditors, like those who've paid for cruises or accepted future cruise credits.

I have serious doubts about whether June cruises will happen, but that's just opinion without insider knowledge or a crystal ball.

And I wonder how comfortable you'll feel about the risk of infection (mark that "important" if you're in an at-risk group or age) and the risks of lock-down & failures-to-port as experienced on Feb / March cruises.

But presumably you have no independently-booked flights and minimal associated costs (travel to port etc), so any financial loses will be the potentially-protected cruise fares.

Those are my thoughts.

But as for making a decision - sorry, that's for you to decide.

Stay safe

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

Hi John Bull

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I agree with all your comments.  We will definitely not be travelling in June even if the cruise goes ahead.  It would be far to risky.  We are keen cruisers, but at this stage I am not sure when we will feel confident enough to travel.

Its a dilemma, but need to decide in the next few days if we will pay the balance and hopefully receive a full refund if the cruise is cancelled.

Regards.

Daddynews

I would pay the remainder and take the FCC if it's not cancelled by RCL. The issue with the FCC is that you will need to pay a new deposit and the remainder will be used from the FCC. If the FCC is higher than the new cruise fare, then that amount over can be used for another cruise. It will not be used at OBC. 

I should've been sailing on the 19th April for my 40th and was offered either the 125% FCC or refund. I've taken the refund though I have booked another in December but if I used the FCC, I would've been paying out more. 

I also have a Med cruise booked for the 6th September and have until the 13th June to decide whether we pay or not but he deposit was only £25 each when we booked so I won't be losing much if decide to cancel ourselves.

7 hours ago, daddynews said:

Hi

Can anyone advise please.  Booked on a RCI cruise to Spain at the end of June.  One week to go before I have to pay balance.  I can cancel the cruise 48 hours before departure and receive a FCC, but if the cruise line cancel the sailing, which I suspect they might, can I receive a cash refund?  If I cancel now and don't pay the balance I think I will lose the deposit.

I am in contact with my travel agent, but its taking a long time to get a reply as they are very sensibly working from home.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Daddynews

We cancelled our June 7th cruise on Allure today before final payment and deposit of £300 under RCL CWC is now a FCC voucher.

Spain and Italy have almost 25,000 deaths between them with coronavirus and both in lockdown so not advisable.

Edited by grapau27

Hi Ned

Thanks for your reply.

Will probably pay the balance and hopefully get a refund if RCI cancel the cruise.  Our deposit was £300 would rather not lose that if I can help it.

Hope you get to the Med in September and enjoy your other cruise in December.

Regards.

Daddynews

3 minutes ago, daddynews said:

Hi Ned

Thanks for your reply.

Will probably pay the balance and hopefully get a refund if RCI cancel the cruise.  Our deposit was £300 would rather not lose that if I can help it.

Regards.

Daddynews

Under CwC you will get the deposit back as a FCC. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/cruise-with-confidence

Edited by little britain

59 minutes ago, daddynews said:

Hi John Bull

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I agree with all your comments.  We will definitely not be travelling in June even if the cruise goes ahead.  It would be far to risky.  We are keen cruisers, but at this stage I am not sure when we will feel confident enough to travel.

Its a dilemma, but need to decide in the next few days if we will pay the balance and hopefully receive a full refund if the cruise is cancelled.

Regards.

Daddynews

Why tie your money up if you have only paid a deposit to date?

RC Cruise With Confidence covers your deposit as a Future Cruise Credit to be used up by December 2021.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

RC Cruise With Confidence covers your deposit as a Future Cruise Credit to be used up by December 2021.

Hi Graham

Or just pick a cruise for next year and transfer it when prices are low

The recovery plan that Spain is working on now does not consider any international travel will be allowed throughout the summer. They will only allow Spaniards to travel abroad for medical purposes. The plan will involve a great deal of testing and carriers without symptoms will be quarantined in hotels. All Police, EMT, Medical staff and nursing homes will be tested first. 

If that June cruise departs from Spain it will most definitely be cancelled. 

In Spanish. 

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-gobierno-prepara-escenario-verano-sin-turismo-exterior-202004082310_noticia.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bigeck said:

Hi Graham

Or just pick a cruise for next year and transfer it when prices are low

Thanks Alec.

We had to cancel our P&O Azura TA on March 20th as well.

Hopefully our government lift the advice against traveling with health issues by next year as even though I feel fine my Heart Attack in December caused us to cancel the P&O cruise because of government advice.

Just now, grapau27 said:

Hi grapau

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying I don't necessarily need to pay my balance and can get a cruise credit from my travel agent for the £300 representing the deposit?

19 minutes ago, daddynews said:

Hi Ned

Thanks for your reply.

Regards.

Daddynews

Thank you. I do hope it works out for you.

Stay Safe!

I have same problem. UK rules, balance due next week. It is with celebrity but I think their CwC rule is the same. I think we will canx and take the deposit as FCC to be used next year. I did ask my travel agent if we were covered if the cruise line goes bankrupt under ABTA and she said yes 

1 minute ago, daddynews said:

Hi grapau

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying I don't necessarily need to pay my balance and can get a cruise credit from my travel agent for the £300 representing the deposit?

Yes you can but you can't use it as a deposit for another cruise. You will need to pay a new deposit and then put the FCC on top. Sorry, I forgot that this was an option for you too.

Just now, Ned11 said:

Yes you can but you can't use it as a deposit for another cruise. You will need to pay a new deposit and then put the FCC on top. Sorry, I forgot that this was an option for you too.

Brilliant, that all I wanted to know.  Sorry if I was being a bit dim.

Regards.

Daddynews

Just now, daddynews said:

Hi grapau

Thanks for your reply.

Yes.

The future cruise credit is from Royal Caribbean under their CWC scheme up to September 1st sailings and your Travel Agent should confirm this with you.

Your TA will have to cancel your cruise with RC and get them to acknowledge it is cancelled under CWC then you will get a voucher within 20-30 days.

Do not pay your balance but cancel in plenty of time before balance is due.

Graham

Just now, grapau27 said:

Yes.

The future cruise credit is from Royal Caribbean under their CWC scheme up to September 1st sailings and your Travel Agent should confirm this with you.

Your TA will have to cancel your cruise with RC and get them to acknowledge it is cancelled under CWC then you will get a voucher within 20-30 days.

Graham

Just now, grapau27 said:

Yes.

Graham

Hi Graham,

All is clear now.  I will TRY to contact my TA tomorrow and cancel the cruise.  It will be a relief actually as we have been wondering for weeks what is the best thing to do.

I am very grateful for your assistance.

Kind Regards.

Daddynews

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, daddynews said:

Hi Graham,

All is clear now.  I will TRY to contact my TA tomorrow and cancel the cruise.  It will be a relief actually as we have been wondering for weeks what is the best thing to do.

I am very grateful for your assistance.

Kind Regards.

Daddynews

You are welcome.

I would take my money and run. I would not cruise for at least a year, Too risky to be enclosed with a couple thousand people. Just  think about this. Suppose someone get some kind of virus. But it is your decision.

We had a Med planned out of Spain on the Allure in June and when the full payment was due a week ago, I simply had my TA move my $1k deposit to the same cruise for next year (Harmony).  We are a family of 4 and staying in a suite and I was not willing to pay balance now for a future credit.  I’ll take my chances and hopefully all is well next year and I’ll pay my balance next March.  

Now I’m waiting to see my options for Iberia which is paid in full 😢.   I can get a voucher + 10% I think it said....I’m watching that closely.  Would prefer that as a full refund now but if not, I’ll do the voucher. 

9 hours ago, daddynews said:

Hi grapau

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that is what I said earlier, with the link to the CwC policy. 

Edited by little britain

I’ve got a cruise booked out of Rome in July and the balance payment is due on 19th April. There’s absolutely no chance of us going so I don’t intend to pay the balance. Not seen the answer to this anywhere but if we take the cruise with confidence offer and transfer my deposit to next years cruise I’ve already booked and if they cancel can I claim that money back when they cancel. The complication is that I have two cabins booked for my wife and I and then my daughter and two grandchildren. I paid both deposits but cruise with confidence means that the two deposits are classed separately so I would only get my suite deposit fee with CwC as my daughters deposit would be transferred in her name and she is deffo not cruising ever given what’s happened. I lose out then with the second cabin booking. 
Any ideas