CDC Delays Cruising for a While

Laminator

1 hour ago, sansterre said:

Wondering if the following restriction will stay in place, or is just temporary.

UPDATED AS OF 3/20/2020 5:30 P.M. CST

Due to governmental restrictions imposed worldwide as a result of the Coronavirus, we regret that MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services continue to be heavily restricted in a growing number of countries and territories, and in some areas, suspended.

Please be aware that:

• Medjet cannot transport a member infected with the Coronavirus. Transportation and repatriation of diagnosed, or potentially infected, patients has so far been controlled by the CDC and U.S. Department of State.
  •  

I assume that it is temporary until COVID is under control and countries have opened their gates.  Otherwise, MedJet would be out of service.  It is a good company.  I hope that it weathers COVID.

6 hours ago, npcl said:

The list I put together is only those ships around the US.  That is why it does not include the others you list.

By limiting it to those impacted by the CDC document I have both the number infected, as well as the total number of ships in the area when those ships were infected.  I also list the total number of documented cases in the US at the last possible time any of those cruises took place to show just how few active and documented cases existed at the time.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Himself said:

Thumbs Down!.   Ronald Raegan once said the worse words we can hear are: "Hi, I'm from the Government I am hear to help." 

And wasn't Reagan president of said government.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zelker said:

Just announced on Carnival website - all cruises cancelled through June 26th plus other cancellations/changes:

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

Certainly expecting HAL and Seabourn (and other CCL lines) to be announcing something similar in the next few days. 

Not surprised, it may not be the last extension.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Not surprised, it may not be the last extension.

Precisely.

The "optimists" here would do well to reread the CDC directive. Closely.

Genuinely absorb the tone of the document: this wasn't some neutral, beige list of mild concerns. This was damned serious. The CDC is saying sternly & strongly that the cruise industry created a lot of havoc, and must change numerous fundamental problems.

Look at those problems: They're not temporary, not minor, and not going to magically disappear by June 28. (And COVID-19 isn't going to magically disappear by June 28, either).

At no point does the CDC suggest "Of course, if that's too expensive for Norwegian or too inconvenient for HAL, well we just won't bother with it. This isn't a "let's negotiate a pleasant compromise" document. (And it shouldn't be. COVID-19 is a global disaster, compared to which the wishes of cruise lines and cruise fans are vastly less important than petty cash). 

So it's too soon to 100% guarantee that July and August sailings are positively, certainly and surely canceled - but 96% doesn't seem remotely too strong.  Some folks on CC have touted the Fox News line, and have been underestimating this crisis since January -  they've been shown wrong again and again and again, yet continue chirping. There's no good reason for the rest of CC to pay attention to them any more.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My guess is that the WHO is fed up with the antics of the cruise industry.   Trust is at the bottom.   

If I had to choose based on honesty, acting in the public interest, and the issuance of straight forward and accurate press releases between the WHO, our politicians, and the cruise industry I know which one I would pick.   

The latter two are placing their own self interest above all other concerns.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, iancal said:

My guess is that the WHO is fed up with the antics of the cruise industry.   Trust is at the bottom.   

If I had to choose based on honesty, acting in the public interest, and the issuance of straight forward and accurate press releases between the WHO, our politicians, and the cruise industry I know which one I would pick.   

The latter two are placing their own self interest above all other concerns.

Personally, having had some interaction with WHO, when I worked with FDA, I would not trust any of the three.  Like with any organization WHO does have some competent people, unfortunately, like most organizations of its kind the leaders are there because of political influence and that influence does not go away when they have to act.

One person that I do believe that he knows what he is talking about is Scott Gottlieb, the former FDA Commissioner.  He is pretty accurate in what he says.

Edited by npcl

On 4/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Precisely.

The "optimists" here would do well to reread the CDC directive. Closely.

Genuinely absorb the tone of the document: this wasn't some neutral, beige list of mild concerns. This was damned serious. The CDC is saying sternly & strongly that the cruise industry created a lot of havoc, and must change numerous fundamental problems.

Look at those problems: They're not temporary, not minor, and not going to magically disappear by June 28. (And COVID-19 isn't going to magically disappear by June 28, either).

At no point does the CDC suggest "Of course, if that's too expensive for Norwegian or too inconvenient for HAL, well we just won't bother with it. This isn't a "let's negotiate a pleasant compromise" document. (And it shouldn't be. COVID-19 is a global disaster, compared to which the wishes of cruise lines and cruise fans are vastly less important than petty cash). 

So it's too soon to 100% guarantee that July and August sailings are positively, certainly and surely canceled - but 96% doesn't seem remotely too strong.  Some folks on CC have touted the Fox News line, and have been underestimating this crisis since January -  they've been shown wrong again and again and again, yet continue chirping. There's no good reason for the rest of CC to pay attention to them any more.

Many people have not read the guidelines as they don't want to.  What they fail to accept or understand is the cruise lines made a real mess of COVID-19.  The cruise lines did not handle this crisis well, and are still not.  And the fact that you have so many people willing to turn a blind eye to this and quickly get back on another cruise simply emphasizes the need for the CDC to consider even more restrictions.

• Like 3

cbr663....completely agree with you.   

No doubt the goal of the cruise lines was simple.  They wanted to rid themselves of their passengers period.  No real concern for the safety of others.  And they wanted to do as quickly as possible IMHO, without accepting any responsibility, and at the lowest cost possible.    Others may disagree but that is the way I view it.  This is not a HAL issue, it is a cruise industry issue.   This is what created the conflict with various Governments and health organizations. 

No surprise for an industry who had made every attempt to appear resident in the country while at the same time making every attempt possible to dodge US regulatory agencies, US law, and of course US taxes.   Cruise line cheerleaders of all stripes seem vary anxious to turn a blind eye in their rush to ensure that future cruises will be available to them ASAP. 

My guess is that the cruise lines spend far more money in poliitcal donations and  attempts to lobby legislators than they do in actual tax.

I am amazed at the number of posters over the past month who have wondered if their April, May, or June cruises would happen.  It is almost as if they are on a different planet without access to what is going on with regard to this scourge.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

I have no doubt that the staff on board these cruise ships have gone above and beyond.  I am just sad that their employers apparently put them, and their customers in harms way,

I understand being a loyal cruise line customer.  What I don't fathom is how can some cheerleaders think that the cruise lines (as opposed to their captive on board staff) did such a stellar job or even a reasonable job and why some seem anxious to resume cruising this summer.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 3:39 PM, iancal said:

I have no doubt that the staff on board these cruise ships have gone above and beyond.  I am just sad that their employers apparently put them, and their customers in harms way,

I understand being a loyal cruise line customer.  What I don't fathom is how can some cheerleaders think that the cruise lines (as opposed to their captive on board staff) did such a stellar job or even a reasonable job and why some seem anxious to resume cruising this summer.

Absolutely. 

Here's the horribly sad story of today:
https://crew-center.com/costa-cruises-doctor-dies-after-testing-positive-covid-19