Now for something completely different

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Bon Voyage  Lyle and Lyn. Above all Enjoy ! 

Thanks Uncle Les, we are so happy to hear from you. I have a thread running on the Holland America board but will post here from time too. Take care mate, live life full. 

• Like 5

So we are in Saint John New Brunswick, happy to be home in Canada. It is a foggy day and much cooler than where we have been. We have a shore excursion here which is supposed to include the reversing rapids. Hopefully the timing works out that we can see that. It depends on the  tides.

Apparently the dining situation and the entertainment don't meet up to at least one fellow passenger who posted a comment on my observations thread. Oh well you can't please everyone. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we are in Saint John New Brunswick, happy to be home in Canada. It is a foggy day and much cooler than where we have been. We have a shore excursion here which is supposed to include the reversing rapids. Hopefully the timing works out that we can see that. It depends on the  tides.

Apparently the dining situation and the entertainment don't meet up to at least one fellow passenger who posted a comment on my observations thread. Oh well you can't please everyone. 

A belated Happy Birthday to you @Blackduck59

• Like 2

Hey everybody, I see a lot of you are having a look at my thread on the HAL board. Thanks for your interest and support, I really appreciate it. So far we are enjoying the cruise but perhaps haven't done the best job of exploring the ports. Halifax was very much affected by the weather and by the time we walked to my main objective (HMCS Sackville) we were already wet and a little miserable. The ship tour was interesting to me and I think a little for Lynn but she doesn't get the "Navy" thing. We expected to find a bunch of food vendors right close by but they were all closed (apparently fair weather bluenosers) the only one open was Cows ice cream, it was very good. After visiting Sackville we toured the Maritime Museum, bought some souvenirs and trudged back to the shipby then it was really pouring. Once we got back to the ship all we wanted to do is get the wet gear off and put our feet up. Today was a sea day and it was a little rocky overnight and in the morning. Lynn was a little uncomfortable but I think the sea bands and her gingin chews are helping. 

Just a short note to say hi and hope everyone is healthy and safe.

Cheers, Lyle 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Was it nice?

It's a comical ceremony where Newfoundlanders poke fun at themselves and those that come from away. Sort of a "welcome to the rock" and now that yer here we'll give ya a little test to see if you fit in. When ya finish the test and shoot the Screech you're an honourary Newfoundlander.

• Like 5

On 8/27/2023 at 9:39 PM, lyndarra said:

I caught last ten minutes of NRL Knights V Sharks to see them win their eighth consecutive game to make the finals. Big turn around from last year coming 14th of 16. Go Knights.

I just added the trophy to your post. Not the "thanks" trophy, but the Provan-Summons trophy.

Go the Knights. They have beaten plenty of contenders, so must be one themselves. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Nothing quite like kissing a Cod😆.....Safe Travels.....

It was a tiny little frozen thing, the one they used on the wet coast at HMCS Quadra was fresh and it had big teeth. I cut my lip on one those snaggle teeth, then the shot of Screech (a certain rum of dubious quality) was a new experience in pain, both from the open wound and Screech itself. 😟

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It was a tiny little frozen thing, the one they used on the wet coast at HMCS Quadra was fresh and it had big teeth. I cut my lip on one those snaggle teeth, then the shot of Screech (a certain rum of dubious quality) was a new experience in pain, both from the open wound and Screech itself. 😟

Yikes!!!

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Now were you able to recite your lines from memory or did you need cue cards??? Actually, I didn't find the Screech as bad as it was claimed to be. We were given Honorary Newfie certificates that we still have to this day. Once a Newfie, always a Newfie. Enjoy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's a comical ceremony where Newfoundlanders poke fun at themselves and those that come from away. Sort of a "welcome to the rock" and now that yer here we'll give ya a little test to see if you fit in. When ya finish the test and shoot the Screech you're an honourary Newfoundlander.

I had meant the rum? But glad you enjoyed the ceremony. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I had meant the rum? But glad you enjoyed the ceremony. 

Thanks Mic as I mentioned on the observations thread the rum isn't that bad but definitely needs to be mixed, Ron Zacappa it's not. 

I should clarify the "screech in" at HMCS Quadra, included a fresh cod with big teeth so when I kissed the cod I cut my lip so the dubious quality of the screech combined with the open wound on my lip made for a memorable moment at least there was a certain antiseptic quality to the screech. 😟

• Like 1

It is a sea day today. The weather is delightful, it's a bright sunny day with a very light ripple on the sea. We're in Explorations Café, I'm just enjoying the view from my comfy chair and Lynn is working a puzzle. We have met some really nice people and had some great conversations. 

• Like 4

Qantas has again agreed to refund our airfare (cancelled Alaska cruise 2020).  I say again because we have been trying to get it refunded for the last three years and Qantas kept saying they would but never did. Here's hoping.

• Like 6