Now for something completely different

So way up there in the land of Murphy's law. Imagine my surprise to wake up because my CPAP stopped working. Of course the power is out at 0045 hrs so much for sleeping. So now it is 0145 hrs all dressed and nothing to do but wait. Of course Lynn is a world champion worrier so she's definitely on the edge. Now we wait for the cab we moved it up to 0330 hrs. We can wait at the airport at least we will have power there.

50 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So way up there in the land of Murphy's law. Imagine my surprise to wake up because my CPAP stopped working. Of course the power is out at 0045 hrs so much for sleeping. So now it is 0145 hrs all dressed and nothing to do but wait. Of course Lynn is a world champion worrier so she's definitely on the edge. Now we wait for the cab we moved it up to 0330 hrs. We can wait at the airport at least we will have power there.

Hope it goes smoothly  from now on for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, mr walker said:

First Cruise Ship Set to Return to Canada On Saturday After Two-Year Pause on Cruising

Hey Lyle, is this your cruise. Photo is from FB.

No Neil that looks like a HAL ship. We are on Viking. We have a shuttle booked for 1100 hrs tomorrow. We are looking forward to getting on board. Once that happens the power outage, early flight and the combat cab ride will all be chaff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we made it to San Pedro, we board the ship tomorrow. I'll maybe do a couple phone snaps when we get to the pier.

Where are you staying? We stayed at Crowne Plaza - San Pedro a couple of times, free hotel shuttle to ship. Great hotel.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Where are you staying? We stayed at Crowne Plaza - San Pedro a couple of times, free hotel shuttle to ship. Great hotel.

That was our TA's recommendation but alas no rooms were available. We are at the Best Western. It's a nice place, clean rooms but with much traffic noise. It is very short on amenities like a bar and restaurant although the space and facilities are all here just no stock or staff. We will see what the included breakfast is like. I'm pretty sure it won't be a B52.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

No Neil that looks like a HAL ship. We are on Viking. We have a shuttle booked for 1100 hrs tomorrow. We are looking forward to getting on board. Once that happens the power outage, early flight and the combat cab ride will all be chaff.

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Holland America Line Neil.,, tut, tut.

Oh. my mistake. I just saw a story saying this was the first cruise to depart a Canadian port on Sat & thought it could be Lyle - wrong line of course 😮

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Oh. my mistake. I just saw a story saying this was the first cruise to depart a Canadian port on Sat & thought it could be Lyle - wrong line of course 😮

Actually that is probably Koningsdam she is due in to Victoria tomorrow. She is the first ship by default because Princess decided to put Caribbean Princess into drydock early. We will be the second ship when we sail into Victoria next Saturday. 

On 4/8/2022 at 12:28 PM, Blackduck59 said:

We are in a "Deluxe Veranda" Les. We looked at the "Penthouse Verandas" but we didn't like the location of the ones available so saved about $1,000.00 total and went for location. We are starboard side on deck 5, near midships. In my view the posh suites are in crappy locations...High up and far forward or aft. Get any adverse sea state and your cabin is suddenly moving up and down faster than the lifts.

So I should fess up:  to our amazement and eternal gratitude, we were upgraded to the Explorers Suite (the posh suite you mention).  We later realised that our TA had leaked to Viking that it was our 50th wedding anniversary during the cruise, so I will never say that Norwegians have cold hearts 🙂  I was at first apprehensive, because our ES was as forward as suites get.  I feared that was not a good spot for a North Pacific crossing.  It was actually fantastic.  Orion is such a beautifully engineered craft that we hardly moved.  It was beyond spacious, and the balcony was huge, with an undercover area as well as open space, perfect viewing platform for the morning we awoke to the magnificent sight of the looming Hubbard Glacier in Alaska.  The only sad day was the day we had to disembark in Hong Kong.  For all of that opulence, outside of our suite nobody knew who has which suite, because Viking runs a very egalitarian experience:  no preference in  restaurants, shows, etc., no matter where you call home for the duration of the cruise.  I should also add that the crew, individually and collectively, was the most amazing, kind, attentive and efficient crew we've ever had the pleasure of sailing with.  I just know you'll love your Viking experience.  Enjoy every moment.

Linda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay we are aboard, hanging out in the World Cafe waiting for the spit test result. Lunch included roasted veal and the included wine is a nice reisling.

Be careful Lyle, perusing the roll call for the cruise before yours, ship was flying the yellow flag - they had several lurgy cases on board.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Be careful Lyle, perusing the roll call for the cruise before yours, ship was flying the yellow flag - they had several lurgy cases on board.

I suspect that that will be the case for every cruise, a few cases are bound to spring up even with prior testing. Just hope it is not into the crew like with P&O UK having to cancel cruises.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I suspect that that will be the case for every cruise, a few cases are bound to spring up even with prior testing. Just hope it is not into the crew like with P&O UK having to cancel cruises.

Just had an overhead announcement calling about a dozen people to customer service. And we are still alongside San Pedro. We slip at 2300 hrs. I'm not sure we will be awake.

We just had some excellent entertainment in the Explorer's Lounge. An excellent singer/guitarist playing easy listening like James Taylor, Jim Croce and Don McLean. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just had an overhead announcement calling about a dozen people to customer service. And we are still alongside San Pedro. We slip at 2300 hrs. I'm not sure we will be awake.

We just had some excellent entertainment in the Explorer's Lounge. An excellent singer/guitarist playing easy listening like James Taylor, Jim Croce and Don McLean. 

Envious....we loved the Explorers Lounge and met up with new mainly Aussie friends there every evening for loooong nightcaps 🙂  Hope your sailaway goes smoothly, and any medical hiccups are well handled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think James Taylor is Australian, or at least he likes to sing about the Australian climate.

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think James Taylor is Australian, or at least he likes to sing about the Australian climate.

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again.

Geez you have a good voice Mic, do you do karaoke on the ships, like moi? 

We just enjoyed the included in the fare "Afternoon Tea" it was pleasant, I  nice snack. We are now hanging out in  the "Living Room" where a couple of lovely ladies are playing violin and cello.

We find out the "Included in your fare" specialty restaurants are completely booked even though we were supposed to be guaranteed at least on meal in each one. I guess some different tactics will be required. 

• Like 2