Now for something completely different

Well I'm hoping to get back to work tomorrow. I can move without too much pain, although coughs and sneezes are a reminder of my clumsiness. I just spent a bit of time sorting pictures and uploading images from SD cards and portable hard drives. So next time I get a turn on "where was I", I have a folder of images to make a quick choice from.

• Like 7

I'm doing well Linda, thanks for asking. I have gone a couple of days without pain killers. I still have some twinges if I move awkwardly. We are trying to decide about our flight arrangements. We have 2 choices for direct flights from Vancouver to Sydney; Air Canada and Qantas, we were not really that pleased with our Air Canada business class on our east coast trip last year. Right now we are leaning towards Qantas Premium Economy but may switch to Business Class depending on the price. We certainly didn't like the angled pods on Air Canada, the business class seats on Qantas look much better. The premium Economy on Qantas looks good as well if we can get the bulkhead seats, if we can't get those that may be the catalyst to go with Business class. We have so much of the trip planned but are taking a break from planning, while we settle Lynn's Mom's estate.

We have had a few Cruise ships in so far this season but I think this weekend is well and truly full with seven cruise ship visits between Thursday and Sunday. We even had a Regent ship in our drydock last week, although I don't know which one.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm doing well Linda, thanks for asking. I have gone a couple of days without pain killers. I still have some twinges if I move awkwardly. We are trying to decide about our flight arrangements. We have 2 choices for direct flights from Vancouver to Sydney; Air Canada and Qantas, we were not really that pleased with our Air Canada business class on our east coast trip last year. Right now we are leaning towards Qantas Premium Economy but may switch to Business Class depending on the price. We certainly didn't like the angled pods on Air Canada, the business class seats on Qantas look much better. The premium Economy on Qantas looks good as well if we can get the bulkhead seats, if we can't get those that may be the catalyst to go with Business class. We have so much of the trip planned but are taking a break from planning, while we settle Lynn's Mom's estate.

We have had a few Cruise ships in so far this season but I think this weekend is well and truly full with seven cruise ship visits between Thursday and Sunday. We even had a Regent ship in our drydock last week, although I don't know which one.

Glad to hear you’re on the mend.  Yes, estate settling is poignant and sometimes exhausting.  Qantas fares always seem exorbitant.  BC is a good product, I know, but the price makes it prohibitive for us.  Does Air New Zealand fly direct?  Last time we flew from Vancouver to Sydney (years ago) we flew to Honolulu then picked up AirNZ business.  Fantastic flight, great ambiance with hilarious crew.  I seem to remember they were angled pods though.

I like business class, but I don't like paying for it. I would rather use the money on extending the trip or other trips. 

As my wife says, by not paying for Business, it is like being paid $200 + per hour. Easier and cheaper to either book a lay-over or extra  nights accommodation to allow for recovery.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I like business class, but I don't like paying for it. I would rather use the money on extending the trip or other trips. 

As my wife says, by not paying for Business, it is like being paid $200 + per hour. Easier and cheaper to either book a lay-over or extra  nights accommodation to allow for recovery.

Wait until you get older and creakier, Mic. Then you might find business class more viable.

We're reach the stage where long haul economy is impossible, and even for domestic travel we try to get business class or extra legroom seats on points. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wait until you get older and creakier, Mic. Then you might find business class more viable.

We're reach the stage where long haul economy is impossible, and even for domestic travel we try to get business class or extra legroom seats on points. 

Perhaps, but maybe shorter flights with more stop overs to get somewhere is better then.

• Like 1

For us, the air travel component has always been part of our adventure, ever since we first flew business with Lauder 25 years ago.  I cannot in my wildest nightmares imagine returning to the cramped discomfort of economy (which we flew all our lives previously) unless it was absolutely essential.  

The alternative to business travel for us, having enjoyed the wonder of countless exploration adventures over many years, is simple:  we’ll happily stay in the comfort of our own home.  I wouldn’t dream of criticising your point if view, Mic, because that is exactly how we felt until we didn’t.  This current adventure is our first and only trip this year.  We’re probably running out of years for comfortable travel, but we wouldn’t even consider another trip for at least 18-24 months, that’s why we’re extending our time in the northern hemisphere.  Truth be told, we don’t relish the hassles that air travel brings:  airport security, crowds, wait times.  $200 per hour is no temptation.

Julie, my apologies.  The new SA bc cabin refurbishment is not great, because the seats are indeed hard.  They were perfect before.  We switched to a smaller plane for the Singapore-Rome leg, and enjoyed sinking into ultra comfy seats.

i’ll be watching for your world voyage blog.  Have a wonderful time.

• Like 1

I think we are beginning to swing towards Qantas business class for the long haul Vancouver to Sydney. We will probably use Air New Zealand Premium Economy for the hop from Melbourne to Auckland, it is a much shorter flight and I doubt we would even attempt to sleep on it.

Like Linda we would rather stay home than fly coach ever again. After the last short hop flight through a full blown claustrophobia event, I decided I was never flying in a Dash 8 aircraft again; we'll rent a car and take the ferry over the day before we fly out. We aren't sure how much more travelling we have left in us. Although we are relatively young we are really growing weary of flying. There may be a couple of cruises left, perhaps an Alaska/Yukon cruise tour and maybe a UK cruise with a Trans Atlantic on Queen Mary 2 with a cross Canada train trip home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Julie, my apologies.  The new SA bc cabin refurbishment is not great, because the seats are indeed hard.  They were perfect before.  We switched to a smaller plane for the Singapore-Rome leg, and enjoyed sinking into ultra comfy seats.

i’ll be watching for your world voyage blog.  Have a wonderful time.

It's not just the hardness of the seats, it's that you have to lie in an odd position when trying to sleep. I tweaked a muscle in my back trying to get comfortable on one of the flights which annoyed me for days. It didn't really go away until I forked out for a very expensive massage on the Regent cruise.

I'd rather have the older style seats where your legs fitted straight in front of you, even if the seat didn't go entirely flat. But I think they get more seats in each cabin in the current configuration.

I'll be posting in the Bon Voyage Coral Princess World Cruisers 2024 thread here.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:24 PM, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps, but maybe shorter flights with more stop overs to get somewhere is better then.

This is what I do. I have tried Buisness Class once with lie flat bed and I just didn't feel as rested like when I had a stopover in a hotel with a real bed. For me I just don't see the value in BC and I'd rather put that money into a nice stopover instead. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

This is what I do. I have tried Buisness Class once with lie flat bed and I just didn't feel as rested like when I had a stopover in a hotel with a real bed. For me I just don't see the value in BC and I'd rather put that money into a nice stopover instead. 

We usually do both, but this time flew straight through because we were travelling with friends.  BC and a stopover for a few days in Singapore is perfect for us.

• Like 1