Plans for Third Sydney Cruise Ship Terminal Delayed 18 Months

• 5 months later...
33 minutes ago, arxcards said:

There are some whispers that Newcastle could be back into the loop as an alternate turnaround port for one of the ships in 2023./24.

It could take some of the load of Sydney but I don’t think it can take ships much bigger than 300 meters.

But it would work, catch the train from central. It couldn’t be much more inconvenient than white bay.

The only way I could see Botany being built in the current financial climate would be if it was multiple use so the navy could use it.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It could take some of the load of Sydney but I don’t think it can take ships much bigger than 300 meters.

But it would work, catch the train from central. It couldn’t be much more inconvenient than white bay.

The only way I could see Botany being built in the current financial climate would be if it was multiple use so the navy could use it.

300m is their published limit, but Solstice has docked  there for the day, and I think that has been the longest to date. They had shelved plans for a terminal, so those would also have to be dusted off pretty quick if was to work. 

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

300m is their published limit, but Solstice has docked  there for the day, and I think that has been the longest to date. They had shelved plans for a terminal, so those would also have to be dusted off pretty quick if was to work. 

They will have to do something, white bay seems to becoming unpopular with the locals.

Sydney port authority is coming down hard on air, noise and even light pollution.

10E3A0FF-7871-4D49-A66B-2E9BD62DC644.thumb.png.5fc150258db883062d79f797225ed246.png

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

They will have to do something, white bay seems to becoming unpopular with the locals.

Sydney port authority is coming down hard on air, noise and even light pollution.

10E3A0FF-7871-4D49-A66B-2E9BD62DC644.thumb.png.5fc150258db883062d79f797225ed246.png

Yeah, saw that. It is a noted as a reminder, and most likely put out to appease the locals. White Bay Cruise Terminal Noise mitigation strategy | Port Authority New South Wales (portauthoritynsw.com.au)

White Bay has always been unpopular with the locals, and they are no doubt still peeved that their objections to the terminal from their council were not heeded. 

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

The train doesn't go all the way in any more and even if it did the port is on the other side so I would say much more inconvenient than white Bay but still doable.

• Like 1

Yep probably a bus or taxi to the terminal from the station.Also they are duplicating the train line to reduce traveling time to Newcastle.

It would be better than Port Kembla.

Hayes dock in Botany would be the quick fix but they would have to get it of Patrick.

Edited by Chiliburn

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The train doesn't go all the way in any more and even if it did the port is on the other side so I would say much more inconvenient than white Bay but still doable.

In the past they operated a free cruise shuttle from Newcastle station. Now that the train terminates at Newcastle Interchange, it is actually closer to the ship. The train trip from Sydney is considerable though, but something we have done in the reverse direction so many times. With some tweaking, they could even run a dedicated train to the ship via Port Waratah coal lines - nah, very unlikely

It is doable, but I wonder if it is just come from a thought bubble ATM. I don't think this is targeted at White Bay though, as a limited number of ships have to share that terminal. It is more about the congestion at OPT that has been driving the need for another terminal in Port Botany

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Wait until the new terminal is built in Botany, then there will be noise from protesters, with all those planes, it can't be a noise issue.

Rod will be leading the demos, lol.

R.jpg.87c4b6e3180c2eaad8adde43db0e7701.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Rod will be leading the demos, lol.

R.jpg.87c4b6e3180c2eaad8adde43db0e7701.jpg

That looks like that *hit box car or his leaking oil.

But Newcastle does have merit because of the rail upgrade. It’s not high speed but fast train in the near future. If anywhere in Australia will has high speed rail it will be Newcastle.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

That looks like that *hit box car or his leaking oil.

But Newcastle does have merit because of the rail upgrade. It’s not high speed but fast train in the near future. If anywhere in Australia will has high speed rail it will be Newcastle.

Sounds great. Do you think it will happen in our lifetimes?

Because of the extra stops on the express service, the journey time is slightly longer than for the old Newcastle flyer being pulled by 3801 over 60 years ago. Port Botany is much more convenient to the population and the airport, but until that can happen, Newcastle has a wharf and approvals for a terminal.

I would love a fast train to Sydney, but we can't even get the V-set replacements on the tracks.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Sounds great. Do you think it will happen in our lifetimes?

Because of the extra stops on the express service, the journey time is slightly longer than for the old Newcastle flyer being pulled by 3801 over 60 years ago. Port Botany is much more convenient to the population and the airport, but until that can happen, Newcastle has a wharf and approvals for a terminal.

I would love a fast train to Sydney, but we can't even get the V-set replacements on the tracks.

My daughter is a engineer for transport NSW . No high speed train.
A fast train yes . 

We just don’t have the population at the moment and trains run a hideous lose as it is.
It’s just something they kick around the office at election time.
So the Chinese will build it when they take over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

A fast train yes . 

We just don’t have the population at the moment and trains run a hideous lose as it is.

When you travel overseas and see the trains they have in Japan, UK, USA, other European countries etc, you can see how antiquated our trains are.🚆

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

A fast train yes . 

When it has green lights ahead, the XPT can click past my place at close to 160kmh. There is some really good track between Newcastle & Hunter Valley because of the coal it carries. As nice as the XPTs can be, they are now 40 years old.

The track through the Hawkesbury is an engineering feat in itself, and improving the route would be a long & expensive project. If they could just run from Newcastle and Circular Quay with no stops in between, that could cut an hour off my travel time to the ship.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

When it has green lights ahead, the XPT can click past my place at close to 160kmh. There is some really good track between Newcastle & Hunter Valley because of the coal it carries. As nice as the XPTs can be, they are now 40 years old.

The track through the Hawkesbury is an engineering feat in itself, and improving the route would be a long & expensive project. If they could just run from Newcastle and Circular Quay with no stops in between, that could cut an hour off my travel time to the ship.

I believe they are in the process of duplicating some of the line between Sydney and Newcastle so a express can pass the all stops train.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

When you travel overseas and see the trains they have in Japan, UK, USA, other European countries etc, you can see how antiquated our trains are.🚆

We just don’t have the population uncle Les.

The new metro is pretty impressive, it fast ,a train every 3-4 minutes but I find it a bit uncomfortable for a longer trip.

She is going to be working on the new metro that services the new airport and then there’s the one that goes to the eastern suburbs.

Edited by Chiliburn