Europe may ban visitors until September; Australia through end of the year

Reagan0712

17 hours ago, TN Fem said:

We have an Australia and New Zealand cruise planned for Christmas. I really hope we can go. It is the kids' last continent and it is getting harder and harder to do long family trips as they transition to high school/college.

December/January is peak holiday season in Aus and NZ and I would be surprised if cruises aren't operating then. In addition, it is peak season for people escaping the Northern winter.  

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

December/January is peak holiday season in Aus and NZ and I would be surprised if cruises aren't operating then. In addition, it is peak season for people escaping the Northern winter.  

I was just socially distancing chatting with my neighbor from NZ. She's planning to go home the same time we are headed there. She is hopeful they will reopen by then but also worried they won't let her in since although a citizen they are no longer residents. 

9 minutes ago, TN Fem said:

I was just socially distancing chatting with my neighbor from NZ. She's planning to go home the same time we are headed there. She is hopeful they will reopen by then but also worried they won't let her in since although a citizen they are no longer residents. 

You may find they might relax the requirements for residency by then.  Restrictions are continually under review.  

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Remember our leaders all talked about the US going to close borders and ban travel.  That talk then became a reality.  Same for when stay at home orders went into place.  First they talked about how to implement then it was done.  

I think the talk these countries are having per this article is their way of preparing people just as was done with other other phases of lockdown.  

Remember, the travel "ban" was not actually a ban; there were loopholes for people to jump through.  One example is the "China ban": after it was announced, US citizens, permanent residents and family of US citizens are still permitted to fly back and forth between China and the US, the must only do the standard 14 day self-quarantine.  

No one with common sense wants to just "flip the switch" and declare "hey, we're open, come on over."  It has to be a phased-in approach.  Deal within your own country first (or your own state, with a country as large as the US).  Then, maybe work with just the neighbors on your border.  Then, move further, etc., etc.  

I don't want to contribute to another country's attempt to contain COVID-19 just because I want to cruise.   I absolutely wouldn't even think of a cruise under any circumstances until Fall 2021.  And, even then, it has to be with major positive advances in containment, control, and vaccination.  

• Like 2

On 4/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, ontheweb said:

I just looked at my (former) roll call. We had cancelled because as I said we wondered if our cruise would have ports and if our flights would still be practical. Yet someone just joined the roll call saying they had just booked. BTW, it was their first post on cruisecritic.

The last sentence says it all!

On 4/15/2020 at 12:07 AM, MMDown Under said:

Just reread this - it may have been wishful thinking on my part.  Aust is paying a high price for counting cruises between Aus and NZ as low risk.  They would be low risk if everyone told the truth!

In BC, Canada, our health minister is talking about one year perhaps longer for international travel.

Miss cruising but don't think it will start up for quite a while. Perhaps, on a small scale in limited areas for short duration.

It is all about social/physical distancing which is difficult to achieve on planes and ships.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bajakiter said:

In BC, Canada, our health minister is talking about one year perhaps longer for international travel.

Miss cruising but don't think it will start up for quite a while. Perhaps, on a small scale in limited areas for short duration.

It is all about social/physical distancing which is difficult to achieve on planes and ships.

I saw that too.  Guess our holidays will be within Canada once it is safe to do that again.  

• Like 1