Payment vs Cancellation

debnrick

What to do! What to do?

Do I make final payment for August 23 cruise that is due on June 9?  Do I just cancel cruise and loose deposit?  Is cruise automatically cancelled if I don’t make final payment or do I have to call Carnival (I booked through the website)?  I know Carnival will most likely NOT have officially cancelled the August cruise before the final payment due date.  Does anyone know if they are waiving the LOSS of deposit money policy if you cancel?

I realize if I make the final payment and Carnival indeed cancels the cruise, all of my money would be credited towards a future cruise (with the potential of perks).  This is a bit scary since who knows what the future holds for the cruising industry.  If Carnival (hopefully not of course) was to seek bankruptcy at some point in time, I’d be sure to loose a couple thousand dollars.  This is like making a bet in Vegas!!! 

What to do! What to do?

STAY HEALTHY EVERYONE 

There are decisions to be made for sure.  If you really think you could lose money (I think that is far fetched), then do not do it.  The industry needs to find a way to start, without getting slammed by overriding agencies, that’s the solution.  

17 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

The first thing you do it wait until much closer to June 9th to make a decision. By then hopefully things will be much clearer. The cruise might even be cancelled by then.

this is the best thing to do. wait and hope the situation improves.

if you do not make final payment, they will automatically cancel

Our final payment date was April 15 for our June 29 cruise. We called Carnival and they moved our final payment date til May 15. I would call them a few days before and ask them to move your final payment date. I just told them I was not comfortable yet making final payment and they moved it. It was a quick phone call. 

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

I'm booked for the Panorama on October 17 which I have a refundable deposit on and I'm going to be cancelling today.

Cruising in any capacity is not going to resume for a very, very long time.😢

I agree.  We are going to cancel our October 31 cruise.  I tried to do it online but there was a $250 charge for cancelling.  If I call Carnival directly will they waive that fee?  I know I can wait until they cancel the cruise but I would like to get my deposit back and the money we have put down on it sooner rather than later.

11 minutes ago, Leen729 said:

I agree.  We are going to cancel our October 31 cruise.  I tried to do it online but there was a $250 charge for cancelling.  If I call Carnival directly will they waive that fee?  I know I can wait until they cancel the cruise but I would like to get my deposit back and the money we have put down on it sooner rather than later.

It depends on what rate you booked as to whether you'll lose your deposit. If it's telling you you're gonna lose $250, I would just wait for them to cancel, and they will cancel, then you'll be made whole. You just have to wait a while for the refund.

ETA: You could try calling and see if they'll waive the fee, if they say they will, get it in writing.

I booked under a past guest rate well over a year ago and that rate is fully refundable.

Edited by tonit964
Added info.

5 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

It depends on what rate you booked as to whether you'll lose your deposit. If it's telling you you're gonna lose $250, I would just wait for them to cancel, and they will cancel, then you'll be made whole. You just have to wait a while for the refund.

ETA: You could try calling and see if they'll waive the fee, if they say they will, get it in writing.

I booked under a past guest rate well over a year ago and that rate is fully refundable.

Thanks for the info!  We booked this about a year ago and I cannot remember what kind of rate we got.  I will give them a call and see what they will do for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leen729 said:

Thanks for the info!  We booked this about a year ago and I cannot remember what kind of rate we got.  I will give them a call and see what they will do for me.

Best of luck to you. 😊