Tallinn on our own

Can anyone who has been to Tallinn tell me if there is a shuttle service that goes from the cruise port to The Old Town? 

Also, does it go to the upper old town?

And if we got dropped off at the upper old town, where would be dropped off?

I'm trying to decide if we should do a tour or do it on our own. I know it's a 10-15 min. Walk but just wondering if there is a shuttle.

Can anyone who has been to Tallinn tell me if there is a shuttle service that goes from the cruise port to The Old Town? 
I'm trying to decide if we should do a tour or do it on our own. I know it's a 10-15 min. Walk but just wondering if there is a shuttle.

Just a few threads down from this one is one called Questions on Tallin Old Town which should have some helpful information for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

27 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Just a few threads down from this one is one called Questions on Tallin Old Town which should have some helpful information for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your help. I did find an answer to a couple of things. But I didn't see if there was a shuttle service. 

When my husband and I were there a number of years ago, our ship provided a shuttle (for a price, of course). I don't know if they still do it, but Tallinn's Visitor Center used to provide a bus tour that visited their festival site then dropped everyone (plus the guide) at the Upper Town. As there were only 5 other tourists besides the two of us, it felt like a private tour. Our guide was great and gave us lots of insights into Tallinn, and eventually we ended our tour in the lower part of the Old Town where it was an easy walk to return to the ship.

50 minutes ago, Tilly20 said:

We were in Tallinn in July 2019 with P&O and we used their provided shuttle service, it was only a fairly short journey. 

Thank you for the reply. We are cruising with Celebrity and hoping they also have a shuttle. 😁😁

On 4/16/2020 at 2:00 PM, Moose12345 said:

Tallinn is very easy to DIY - you can rent an audio guide at the TI if you are interested in the history of the sights in the old town.

The walking distance from where your ship will dock to the old town is no more than a 20 minute stroll. If you prefer a ride to the top of the upper old town (you would be dropped off at the entrance near Toompea Castle) you can easily grab a taxi at the port. Taxi fares are very reasonable - expect to pay between 5 to 10.

Don't have a clue about ship sponsored shuttles but I recommend checking the drop-off location if your ship does provide a shuttle (particularly if you wish to start in the upper old town). We prefer to maximize our time in ports of call so we don't travel on the ship shuttles as they invariably waste time by filling the shuttle before departing port.

Edited by dogs4fun

• 1 month later...

We were in St. Petersburg for 2 full days on a tour with lots of walking before going to Tallinn the next day. Princess had a shuttle which we gladly took to the old town. We enjoyed strolling around in the walled city, people very nice.