Canceled cruise paid with gift cards

Cruise Raider

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I didn't think about this before perhaps, but seems pretty obvious now.  Customers electing Option #2 (cash refunds) will get funds back on a Gift Card since that is like cash.  Customers electing Option #1 (FCC) will not get anything back on a GC since they are like paying with cash or Visa.  Something to consider when choosing.  The GC's never expire, but FCC will.  If I had a lot of 2020 bookings, I'd be going with the cash option for the most part.

When we likely cancel our Fall 2020, we won't have made any payment other than $200 FCD's, so a no-brainer.  Lucky us.

Right!!  I also just want my cash back as well.  There is one sailing where I am considering just filing a dispute with my CC.  The other two were paid off so long ago.  

So glad other people are talking about this! I paid for our cruise with over a dozen gift cards, and that cruise has been cancelled. I would love that back in cash, but I'm not hopeful. Just crossing my fingers that I can get it back on one gift card and not the dozen I used. 

I'll try calling this week to see what I can get. Thanks for the updates everyone! 

57 minutes ago, RebeccatheGeek said:

So glad other people are talking about this! I paid for our cruise with over a dozen gift cards, and that cruise has been cancelled. I would love that back in cash, but I'm not hopeful. Just crossing my fingers that I can get it back on one gift card and not the dozen I used. 

If you ask they will reissue on one card.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RebeccatheGeek said:

I'll try calling this week to see what I can get. Thanks for the updates everyone! 

I don’t see them giving anyone cash for giftcards. I hope they do, but I have $24,300 in giftcard limbo right now, for which I paid a little over $ 21,900 net. I also have another $ 2,000 + in Princess cards sitting loaded in my desk. 

On 4/20/2020 at 2:23 PM, Coral said:

This just seems an odd response. What if I had minimal finger surgery, does this mean I wouldn't be able to cruise? I ask this oddly and for me, it may require a night stay because I don't deal with anthesthia (sp?) well.

Most likely you wouldn't have to have general anesthesia for "minimal finger surgery".  More likely would be local and a little sedation...not general.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, suzyed said:

Most likely you wouldn't have to have general anesthesia for "minimal finger surgery".  More likely would be local and a little sedation...not general.

I know.... I was just making fun of Princess's vagueness.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am realizing you keep referring to the Bonus GC amount as OBC.  Did you specifically purchase OBC?  I used my Bonus GC's as additional deposit payments (IOW, a payment against my balance owing for the cruise).  Perhaps that is easier to re-coup and transfer to another booking. 

Yes, the are applied as OBC. I got a reply from my query regarding the number of cards and they corrected it to the proper number of cards. I really can't see being allowed to fly into Australia and then cruise around Australia and New Zealand in 2020. I'll likely end up looking at final payment before Princess gets around to cancelling the cruises but we have two booked for May that "should" go and the FCC from the Australia cruises and flights will work to cover the others in May. It depends on when Princess decides to cancel the cruises or if my wife decides we should just go ahead and cancel on our own. There's plenty of time to figure it out.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1