Cruises Suspended Through June 30, 2020

scoodogg

I’d like to share an important update about Norwegian Cruise Line’s response to COVID-19. With the virus impacting communities around the globe, we voluntarily suspended cruise voyages across our fleet through May 14, 2020. Today, we are extending this suspension through June 30, 2020. We plan to relaunch cruise operations with embarkations beginning July 1, 2020.  
Information follows for guests currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates from May 15 to June 30, 2020:
· All guests on impacted voyages will automatically receive a 125% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2022. This future cruise credit is valid for one year from the issue date and applicable towards all published sailings through December 31, 2022. All future cruise credits will be issued by Friday, May 1, 2020. Guests who take advantage of this option and rebook a new cruise through May 15, 2020 for any voyage in October through December 2020 or anytime in 2021 or 2022 will receive an additional 20% discount off any published price. The 125% refund and additional 20% discount provides tremendous value to our loyal guests; we are very pleased to be able to offer this terrific incentive.
· A lesser value refund is also available for guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit and 20% off future cruise discount. Those guests can request a refund of the fare paid to be reimbursed to the original form of payment 90 days after completing the request form at https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/peace-of-mind. The form will be available from May 7 to May 13, 2020.  Policies for bookings made through Tour Operators or Wholesalers may vary, please contact your travel professional for full details.

July will never happen. I seriously doubt that 2020 happens.

I don't think cruising goes back to normal until the pandemic is over: either because the virus peters out, or a because a vaccine or highly-effective treatment is readily available.

See y'all next year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Phoenix cruiser said:

The other thing of interest to me is why NCL took so long to cancel our Alaska cruise. Canada announced ages ago they were closed to cruise ships until July 1 and all the other major cruise lines immediately canceled their Alaska cruises since they cannot sail without a stop in a foreign port. I can only assume NCL was waiting for folks to pull out first so there was no obligation to refund our money.

It is simple.  They have no money.  They are dripping the funds out as long as possible.  As more waves are added it is less and less probable we will ever see our funds.  They also hope to get people to convert to FCC.  Personally at this point they would have to give me 200% before I would even blink and even then they would have “special” pricing for us that would have been jacked up 300%.

Totally done with cruising for years

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

I don't think cruising goes back to normal until the pandemic is over: either because the virus peters out, or a because a vaccine or highly-effective treatment is readily available.

See y'all next year.

I agree, i have a Panama Canal cruise on the schedule for end of Nov.  Even that in my opinion is questionable now.  I have an underlying condition Multiple Myeloma, so i have to be careful where i go.  I would probably wait for a vaccine as well.

11 minutes ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

I'm definitely not done cruising, but for the near future (once it's safer) I'll only be doing last-minute cruises from NY or  Cape Liberty where I can do a same-day drive and not have to worry about flights or hotels, and where money is only 'tied up' for 30-45 days, tops.  I can be parked at Cape Liberty in less than an hour.  Our family can generally take time off work on fairly short notice, so that's going to be the way to go for us for now.  

Edited by Jobeth66
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

It is simple.  They have no money.  They are dripping the funds out as long as possible.  As more waves are added it is less and less probable we will ever see our funds.  They also hope to get people to convert to FCC.  Personally at this point they would have to give me 200% before I would even blink and even then they would have “special” pricing for us that would have been jacked up 300%.

This is true NCL has no cash and is out seeking investors that can fund them.  They already put the Epic up as collateral on a loan when this all started.  No cash is coming in as others are canceling before final payment.

5 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

I'm definitely not done cruising, but for the near future (once it's safer) I'll only be doing last-minute cruises from NY or  Cape Liberty where I can do a same-day drive and not have to worry about flights or hotels, and where money is only 'tied up' for 30-45 days, tops.  I can be parked at Cape Liberty in less than an hour.  Our family can generally take time off work on fairly short notice, so that's going to be the way to go for us for now.  

I think those are the people who will stay cruising - and it makes total sense.  I cannot with my animals.  I have to coordinate months in advance ( have show dogs so I cannot board them as they are intact for showing and kennels do not allow intact) so I just cannot take the chance again.  

Last year Cuba and this year Alaska - it is not a good fit for me unless they want to allow 3 big hairy Aussies dogs to travel with me LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

See y'all next year.

Could not agree more!

Friends of mine were booked for a June 16 cruise and cancelled with their TA in March when virus started coming out. They received the credit at that time for their cruise. Now that the cruise is cancelled, can they change the credit to a refund?

1 hour ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

It is simple.  They have no money.  They are dripping the funds out as long as possible.  

Exactly this. They are controlling cash spend. I'm not saying it is right, but it is why the cancellations are announced in one or two month blocks. Plus, they reportedly are still working on refunds from early March, so the refund queue is lengthy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcipjr said:

See y'all next year.

Next year may not happen, or the next, or...

8 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Exactly this. They are controlling cash spend. I'm not saying it is right, but it is why the cancellations are announced in one or two month blocks. Plus, they reportedly are still working on refunds from early March, so the refund queue is lengthy.

hmmm interesting, makes sense.

3 hours ago, Phoenix cruiser said:

The other thing of interest to me is why NCL took so long to cancel our Alaska cruise. Canada announced ages ago they were closed to cruise ships until July 1 and all the other major cruise lines immediately canceled their Alaska cruises since they cannot sail without a stop in a foreign port. I can only assume NCL was waiting for folks to pull out first so there was no obligation to refund our money.

Was wondering the same thing. The only answer I could come up with, is that they furloughed a bunch of people and could not deal with all the cancellations, re-bookings, so they phased this process, so their remaining people could deal with it..

• Like 1

"A lesser value refund". By this they mean if you want the full amount you paid for the cruise. You will not lose any real money!

Deceptive, it will be interesting how many lawsuits result from NCL practices.

Restricting the window to ask for a refund essentially means a refund will be ~104 days...

• Like 2

Please do not assume a vaccine will ever be invented.  Most drug leads fail.  The most similar diseases to covid-19 don't have them.  They did try to come up with one but it didn't happen.  We also have to worry about safety concerns of such a hastily designed vaccine.  We do not want a repeat of the issue of the Simian virus in the polio vaccine in the 1950s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tgloersen said:

A lesser value refund is also available for guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit and 20% off future cruise discount. Those guests can request a refund of the fare paid to be reimbursed to the original form of payment 90 days after completing the request form at https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/peace-of-mind. The form will be available from May 7 to May 13, 2020.  Policies for bookings made through Tour Operators or Wholesalers may vary, please contact your travel professional for full details.

A 7 day window for the  refund form, that is absolutely stupid and only done to make the process as difficult as possible And a "not sooner than 90 days to wait after them receiving the form", again making it just as difficult as possible, shameful.   As we used to say in air traffic control at ORD, if you're are about to go down the ATC s##tter with traffic, do it gracefully and with poise.  To do so won't change the fact that it's about to happen, but while it is happening at least you'll get some respect and sympathy from those watching.   NCL is beginning to suck as to how they are handling this mess...that we all find ourselves in.   My opinion.   

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Now that the cruise is cancelled, can they change the credit to a refund?

No.  They CHOSE to cancel under the Peace of Mind policy that allowed cancellation up to midnight 2 days before the cruise, and they accepted those terms at that time (only FCC).  The only people that are getting refunds allowed are those that wait for the cruise to be cancelled by NCL.

1 hour ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Friends of mine were booked for a June 16 cruise and cancelled with their TA in March when virus started coming out. They received the credit at that time for their cruise. Now that the cruise is cancelled, can they change the credit to a refund?

No,   they no longer have any cruise booked and they accepted the terms a the time.