South Georgia Islands & Antarctica

jjs217

Hi!  Just booked, and was wondering about outerwear packages.  For some reason, I was thinking Seabourn offered snow and weather paraphernalia for rent, but didn't see that as an option anywhere.  Do they contact me at a later date, or do we provide our own?  In videos, I see people all wearing the same orange jackets.  Thanks for your help.

Whenever your cruise is scheduled for, we sincerely hope it sails, safely and successfully.  

We went to Antarctica on the Seabourn Quest in December 2017, and just returned from a cruise to South Georgia on Silversea.  ( Do not want to lead this thread astray, but South Georgia was fantastic and Silversea is never again!)

Seabourn uses Ship to Shore as its supplier, as do other cruise lines.  We do not remember the exact details, but you should be able to access them through your Seabourn account.  After you login and choose your booking number, there should be a link to order your parkas, which will be in your suite when you get on the ship, and also to order other items, if you want. 

If you rent and/or buy through Ship to Shore, everything should be delivered to the ship.  We bought our own boots and waterproof pants, but you probably will have less use for such things in Georgia than we do in upstate New York.  As tmk said, waterproof pants are a necessity for zodiac  landings.

12 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Hi!  Just booked, and was wondering about outerwear packages.  

If you have booked the Christmas/New Year 2020-21 sailing, good luck to you.  I think the chances of that cruise happening are vanishingly small - huge question marks hang over flights, ports being open and so on.  Seabourn provides excellent outer parka, inner puffer jacket, woollen beanie, backpack.  Wellington boots are top quality and should be rented.  No need to pack your own.  You need to take - liner socks, outer thick socks, thin liner gloves, waterproof outer gloves, waterproof over-trousers, a merino wool sweater, thermal underwear.  Climate and temperature changes are frequent but this kit will ensure you will never be cold.  Peel away as necessary.

7 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We went to Antarctica on the Seabourn Quest in December 2017, and just returned from a cruise to South Georgia on Silversea.  ( Do not want to lead this thread astray, but South Georgia was fantastic and Silversea is never again!)

I'd be interested to know, FlyingScot, why you disliked Silversea.  I think the differences are quite subtle, though I do much prefer the more casual vibe on Seabourn.  Some might say that, currently, Silversea has the better ship for Antarctica - the Cloud.

I will chime in since I have sailed on Cloud in the Arctic and Quest in Antarctica.

The Cloud is beat up, virtually all interior public areas very cold (landing doors on lower levels cause all heat to escape on deck 8 when the pool doors open), many cabins and corridors flooded, the interiors are very tired, pool temperature under regulated so can be way too hot, Terrazza tatty, too noisy and crowded. Maybe my first and enduring impression were the MDR chairs- very uncomfortable since any cushioning went flat years ago. And since this is an “expedition” ship it is very casual eg jeans and tee shirts in the MDR which contrasts strangely to its best point, IMO, the food and service.

The best aspects were the lectures in the (freezing) theater and easy in/out zodiac procedure which allowed in some places 2 excursions per day on this 200 person ship.

Not worth the considerable (check out those prices!) money unless you accept/fit in despite these objective and subjective weaknesses. I would never go back. And I kinda like the brand... not the boring Whisper class but yes to the elegant Muse! (See my review of the Cloud from last August.)

In contrast Quest is an elegant classic ship, modern, comfortable, and predictable, which allows an excursion per day and the choice to enjoy the good life in all its aspects for its pampered 450 guests. And no line delivers the friendliness and resourcefulness of Seabourn officers and crew. Chalk and cheese, Prosecco vs Champagne.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Thank you to everyone for replying.  I did get an e-mail from Seabourn (after I posted here) about them supplying the jackets, hats, and backpacks.  We will definitely bring our waterproof pants and rent the wellies.  In answer to FlyingScotSailors, we will be going to the South Georgia Islands.  I'm really looking forward to that part of the cruise.   In answer to Fletcher, yes I did just book the 2020-2021 Christmas/New Year's cruise.  We had two trips (one a cruise) cancelled, so I'm trying to stay positive that this one will sail.  If not, so be it.  We love Seabourn and feel like a cash infusion for future bookings will help get them back out there on the high seas.  They need to know there is a market.  If everybody sits back and waits - they may never return.

It's so interesting how one trip on a ship can give different impressions. We've loved Seabourn on each trip we've been on, and were hoping to do South Georgia and the Antarctic next year on the new Venture expedition ship. And it time and money were no issue, we would have booked the Venture 100%. But when the itineraries came out, the cost was higher than the normal Antarctica high, and the duration was just too long for several in our group who are still working. We had taken our first trip on Silversea in 2018 -- on the Cloud -- in Greenland, where we had a fantastic first experience with expedition-style cruising. We thought the ship was fine -- cabins and public spaces did not seem tired or worn -- and the service and expedition staffs were excellent. (Although we did miss our caviar-on-request!) Greenland in the summer presented us with smooth seas and warmer weather than the Antarctic, so I can't judge some of the concerns @markham noted above.

Having decided against the new Seabourn Venture, we debated for a long time about the Quest vs. the Silversea Wind, sister ship to the Cloud, which will be fresh off a major multi-month renovation this summer. In the end, we felt we'd probably prefer Seabourn a little better -- but because we're going there for the once-in-a-lifetime scenery and wildlife, being on a ship with half as many passengers and twice as many landings per person won out. So we're currently booked on the holiday sailing of the Wind this December-January. But with all the question marks about that trip -- will anyone be cruising by then without a vaccine? will flights to and around South America be up and running? will the renovation of the Silversea Wind even take place on time starting in August? -- we may have a chance to revisit our Venture-versus-Quest-versus-Wind choices for the 2021-22 trips to South Georgia. So I remain very interested in all opinions about the various options for Antartica + South Georgia.

We chose the Quest trip to Antarctica and South Georgia for several reasons:

We liked the idea of a larger ship with bags of space, dining options, general luxury levels, handling in rough seas, cruising speed.

We didn't mind making a landing only once a day, though changeable weather can result in no landings at all which might not be the case with a smaller ship.  For us, Antarctica was all about the scenery, not trudging around a stinking penguin colony.  Yes we did that but were always glad to get back to the ship.  South Georgia shore excursions were another matter entirely, just unforgettable.

We had sailed many times on expedition ships with about 100 pax and knew from experience just how slow they are, how badly they handle in rough seas and how claustrophobic they can become (this does not necessarily apply to tropical zones).  However, traditional expedition ships do provide a more immersive experience.  And they are more expensive because of that.

We liked the idea of sailing from Santiago down through the Chilean fjords.  This itinerary also eliminates the need for the internal flight from BA to Ushuaia.  That was a big plus factor for us.  However, if the cruise starts in Buenos Aires and heads straight to South Georgia you are starting with the best first which isn't the best way to see things.  For us, the fjords were a nice aperitif to Antarctica and then the finale of SG.

• Like 1

We've been to Antarctica and several other destinations on the Quest. Great ship. We were booked on the December 2020 South Georgia itinerary, but cancelled due to COVID-19 health and travel risks. My hat is off to whomever is so confident about their own health risks and the travel situation in the coming months. Best of health to you.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:47 AM, Fletcher said:

We liked the idea of sailing from Santiago down through the Chilean fjords.  This itinerary also eliminates the need for the internal flight from BA to Ushuaia.  That was a big plus factor for us.  However, if the cruise starts in Buenos Aires and heads straight to South Georgia you are starting with the best first which isn't the best way to see things.  For us, the fjords were a nice aperitif to Antarctica and then the finale of SG.

I took the holiday cruise on the Quest from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires and concur that this is the better direction.  In fact, one of the expedition leaders diplomatically suggested so.  You first have a few leisurely days sailing down the Chilean coast to get acquainted with the expedition team members and to receive briefings of the logistics and rules etc. of the Antarctica experience, and you finish off with the climax that is South Georgia (even better than the Antarctica Peninsula for many of us).

By including charter flights to/from Ushuaia, the Venture will eliminate the need for the 10 days between Chile and Ushuaia, which is supposedly appealing to the younger demographics who have more money than time.

17 hours ago, notjaded said:

We've been to Antarctica and several other destinations on the Quest. Great ship. We were booked on the December 2020 South Georgia itinerary, but cancelled due to COVID-19 health and travel risks. My hat is off to whomever is so confident about their own health risks and the travel situation in the coming months. Best of health to you.

We all have to go sometime.  I'm just hoping I can see the "White Continent" before that happens.  Best of health to you too.

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Do you mean 'go' as in dead.  Or merely 'go' to Antarctica?  Or perhaps both?  As in see Antarctica and die.

I meant "go" as in die. 

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, notjaded said:

Anyone else decide to cancel out?

Yes.  Yesterday we cancelled a 45-day Antarctica/South Georgia/Amazon cruise on Quest departing Feb 2021.  Superb itinerary but it would have been a repeat for us so we have no regrets given the current state of play in the cruise industry.  We'll stay tuned and possibly rebook if circumstances improve in the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Yes.  Yesterday we cancelled a 45-day Antarctica/South Georgia/Amazon cruise on Quest departing Feb 2021.  Superb itinerary but it would have been a repeat for us so we have no regrets given the current state of play in the cruise industry.  We'll stay tuned and possibly rebook if circumstances improve in the future.

I have been toying with the idea of making a return trip from Santiago to Buenos Aires via South Georgia aboard the Quest but I agree the situation at the moment is far too uncertain.  I will be closely monitoring the situation.  This Feb 2021 sailing may well be the Quest's last hurrah in Antarctica. 

Seabourn has not posted Quest itinerary past November 2021. Up to that point it winds up in Miami about the same time as in 2020 when it heads south. There is hope. The Venture itineraries are VERY expensive.

No - we have not cancelled (too soon), and really really do not want to go that route.  I am so antsy to go somewhere (travel is my joy).  If there is not a vaccine widely available as we get closer to our sail date (24 N Dec 20th Holiday Cruise), then we will reconsider.  Of course, if Seabourn or the airlines cancel then we will have no choice.  

11 hours ago, hoya68 said:

Seabourn has not posted Quest itinerary past November 2021. Up to that point it winds up in Miami about the same time as in 2020 when it heads south. There is hope. The Venture itineraries are VERY expensive.

They have posted the itineraries now.....no more Quest to Antarctica after the 20/21 season. Quest will be doing "Miami to Panama !! "Tropical Panama" or some such name....

15 hours ago, 2seabournsailors said:

They have posted the itineraries now.....no more Quest to Antarctica after the 20/21 season. Quest will be doing "Miami to Panama !! "Tropical Panama" or some such name....

Very disappointing.

"Tropical Panama" is disappointing.  I can't think of any place more dull or passe than cruising that area of the world.   I can't believe Seabourn thinks that is a place discerning travelers would want to visit.

When we were on the Sojourn last May/June, we were invited to a presentation about the new Venture.  Lots of questions were asked and specifically a number of people wanted to know if the Quest would still be going to Antarctica.  The Seabourn executive presenting the program artfully dodged this question over and over again.  I had the strong impression at the time that Quest would be reassigned and Venture would be the new face of Seabourn in Antarctica.  If you analyze it, you can see why.  For one thing, Venture represents a very large investment--in a new type of ship, new technology and a new philosophy.  Why would the cruise line continue with the old?  It is true that Venture is going to be quite a bit more expensive.  I think the calculation was that Seabourn guests would be willing to pay--after all they will be getting more.  I have to say I was quite impressed with Venture as it was presented.  I loved the idea of the Club being relocated to higher on the ship with a view and a fireplace.  I am not surprised that the Quest is going elsewhere while Venture takes center stage.  

Edited by SLSD

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

I think the calculation was that Seabourn guests would be willing to pay--after all they will be getting more.  I have to say I was quite impressed with Venture as it was presented.  I loved the idea of the Club being relocated to higher on the ship with a view and a fireplace.  I am not surprised that the Quest is going elsewhere while Venture takes center stage.  

I'm sure there will be some people willing to pay more because of that phoney fireplace.  We in the UK tend to snigger at such things.  They are rather naff.  However, I do agree that the Venture looks rather special and may well be the market leader in the sector.

We did Quest to Antarctica/South Georgia over the holidays in 2015-16 and it was EPIC and we've talked about going back some day.  Had been told since last year that they thought Quest would return to Antarctica/South America in 21-22 season, that it's itinerary is different enough from Venture's that they could put both ships down there.  So when I looked yesterday and saw the boring Caribbean/Canal back and forth into the beginning of 21, we were very disappointed.  😞