Thomas Keller Napa Burger

kjbacon

10 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

We cruised on Regent Mariner in 2011 and were underwhelmed.  I wrote a CC review titled "All Inclusive But Not Luxury" which pretty well summed up our experience. I know it's probably nor right to judge a cruise line based on a single voyage but we haven't been motivated to go back to Regent after we found our sweet spot with Seabourn and Crystal.

—-I looked your review up and read it, found if very fair and credible. Our Regent experiences are more varied with some spectacular cruises and a more recent one that fell way short. Bigger problem was some bookkeeping issues that left us with a bad enough impression that we began the consideration of switching. Our travel agent feels that Seabourn is the right match for us.

Caviar is available anytime and anywhere.  Hot tub ... room service ... pre-dinner in a lounge ... by the pool ... breakfast on disembarkation day.  In 2019, SB made a change in their caviar to Regiis Ova, which has a TK connection.  Here's their description: Regiis Ova, co-founded by culinary partner Chef Thomas Keller and Shaoching Bishop, offers Siberian Reserve (Acipenser Baerii) caviar from a family owned and operated farm in the fisherman village of San Gregorio de Polanco on the shore of the Rio Negro in Uruguay. 

—-Music to my ears! I’m the caviar lover in our group and I know what my first breakfast will be and yes, of course, on blinis. I looked up the brand and I’m excited. There appears to be several different ones so I’ll have variety with my way too much caviar!

My bad on Yountville Dog.  It's actually called the Yountwurst and is another creation of TK.  It's an artisanal hot dog named for the hometown of The French Laundry, Ad Hoc and the original Bouchon.  I'm by no means a hot dog connoisseur but I thought the Yountwurst was juicy and delicious.  I was less taken with Grandma's Cake, another SB fave.  It was nothing more than a simple pound cake with a sugar nut ring running through the centre.  Nothing to rave about but others think so!

As for cocktails, SB has all the usual top shelf stuff and the pours are generous.  My issue was that, almost without exception, the bartenders just couldn't produce decent drinks.   And I'm not talking exotic concoctions.  Cocktails like Lemon Drop Martini and French Martini.  Mixed drinks like Bloody Caesars.  Or my favorite Gin & Elderflower with Tonic (special order Fever Tree) was impossible for them to execute consistently.  

—-Hmmm, this could be a little tricky for our group, especially our friends who truly enjoy all kinds of cocktails. It’s slightly possible that I may have had the occasional Brandy Alexander after dinner but it was just to make sure my Seattle friends felt connected!! If my husband can’t get his martini properly made, well, he will just have to keep trying until they get it right or until he passes out trying!

—-We are going for an Alaskan itinerary so we probably won’t have the opportunity to do the pool and caviar event but maybe, you never know. Sounds fun though. Are there outdoor heaters available for the outdoor venue for dining under the stars if it’s chilly?

Edited by kjbacon

Personally I much prefer the TK Grill to R2.  But I'm not a great fan of taster menus which I find too rich and too many varied tastes.

As for the cocktails, we've never had a problem with our favourite cocktails being mixed just how we like.  Claudio was a great mixologist in the Obs Bar, and there's been good ones since.

450 passengers, probably 200 different options to please most of them.

I think this space on the 450 ships should have a maximum lifespan of four years.  We came in on the tail end of Charlie Palmer t and thought it was great.   I remember reading comments on here that it was getting tired.  My response was "be careful what you wish for."   R2 followed and I liked it for several reasons.   Staff treated it as a special work experience.   Favorite table was kept and it was never a dull experience + quick exit out the back door.    Mine was probably a minority opinion.  Along comes the railroad car at no small expense.  Food stuff enjoyed in the beginning faded just as fast.   For me, a much less comfortable room even with regular table 5.   Keller food I like is limited to the dark chocolate squares and fried chicken in Colonnade.   Squares might have disappeared.   How much butter do you need for carrots and mashed potatoes?

"I'd like an order of butter, can you add some mashed potatoes to go with the freakish sized Dover Sole."  

Have had different explanations covering the burger.   Some were great, others not so much.   Prefer consistency offered on Crystal for burgers.

We might be in for a sad shock re crew staffing when sailings resume.   I'd like long cruises to nowhere from ports that want the business ASAP.   It can be Portland Oregon or Maine.  Matters not to me.  To hell with figuring port logistics.  Port fees getting out of whack on some itineraries. 

I do enjoy the Napa Burgers. But, for me, it is just a hamburger.  And the restaurants on the Seabourn ships are just  cruise ship dining rooms. I've never expected exceptional cuisine, even though, very occasionally we have have experienced it.  Seabourn cruisers are from all over the world (mostly from the United States, the UK, and Australia of course), and have vastly different expectations and subjective opinions about  what is delicious and what is not.  I can't tell you  how many times someone has recommended a particular dish as being the best ever, and I have found it barely edible (the very salty TK Grill roasted chicken being a case in point, the TK Grill Caesar Salad being another).  I happen to prefer the railroad car like TK Grill on Sojourn to the larger, more lavish TK Grills on Ovation and Encore.  I found the coziness to be very comfortable.  I do agree that the menu is getting a bit stale--and the serving of Dover Sole is too massive and that too much butter is too much butter.  But, most of all, I am always having a good time, and what's for dinner is seldom part of the equation--unless it is really bad.  

11 hours ago, kjbacon said:

—-We are going for an Alaskan itinerary so we probably won’t have the opportunity to do the pool and caviar event but maybe, you never know. Sounds fun though. Are there outdoor heaters available for the outdoor venue for dining under the stars if it’s chilly?

Dont know about Alaska but when we were on the Quest at Antarctica Seabourn had the caviar around the pool We spent a lot of time around the pool area under the heaters so we could watch the scenery

And Joc123 you are correct the beetroot seems to be an Aussie and Kiwi thing, every time we asked for beetroot we would get this real strange look and no beetroot

1 hour ago, Joc123 said:

Every Australian knows it’s not a real burger unless there is bacon, fried egg and beetroot on it. 😉

Exactly  my point.  What is beetroot?  We all have different expectations.  

2 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Every Australian knows it’s not a real burger unless there is bacon, fried egg and beetroot on it.

2 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

And Joc123 you are correct the beetroot seems to be an Aussie and Kiwi thing, every time we asked for beetroot we would get this real strange look and no beetroot

There's a food truck operator here in Victoria BC called Deadbeetz Burgers.  Their most popular item is a burger called Beetrice which features local grass-fed beef with house-made pickled beets.  Bacon and fried egg optional.  I thought it would be weird but it was off-the-chart good.  No wonder it is consistently voted as a top burger in the city.

Speaking of Kiwis and burgers, our first trip to New Zealand was in 1987.  Those were the days when Auckland rolled up the sidewalks at 6:00 pm and we found ourselves wandering about in search of a place to eat.  We ended up at a food truck called The White Lady.  It was dodgy but delicious.  Is it still around?

11 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Every Australian knows it’s not a real burger unless there is bacon, fried egg and beetroot on it. 😉

I have never even heard of this burger combo but am now dying to try it. Each component is a fave of mine but never imagined them together. Is the egg fried hard or is the yolk still runny?

11 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

Dont know about Alaska but when we were on the Quest at Antarctica Seabourn had the caviar around the pool We spent a lot of time around the pool area under the heaters so we could watch the scenery

The Quest is a sister ship of the Odyssey, isn’t it? I am hoping that there are heaters around the pool area for outdoor viewing and especially around Earth and Ocean. We will dine there no matter what but it would be better if it’s not too terribly cold out at dinner time.

Havent been on the Odyssey yet as we seem to be on the Encore for the last three cruises

I am fairly certain I have seen heaters on the Encore and the Sojourn but we havent needed them so I would presume the Odyssey would have them especially for an Alaska cruise

At Antarctica we had lunches around the pool area just about every day with our Seabourn supplied jackets. It was funny if you sat by the doors to the passage way to the cabins a blast of hot air would come out if somebody opened the door. In the warmer climates a blast of cold air would come out. Good place to sit

The eggs are cooked on a hot plate and not runny

And still the bestest cruise we have ever done

Edited by Thecat123

Here in Oz the eggs are cooked on a hot plate bur definitely slightly runny - just enough to get in a mess when eaten.

The yoke then combines with dressing (usually mayo and ketchup) and juices of meat - wonderful.

We also have fried onion, cheese, tomato, lettuce.

Pickles are only found on burgers that have come from USA eg MacDonalds.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, kjbacon said:

The Quest is a sister ship of the Odyssey, isn’t it? I am hoping that there are heaters around the pool area for outdoor viewing and especially around Earth and Ocean. We will dine there no matter what but it would be better if it’s not too terribly cold out at dinner time.

Quest, Yes there are heaters around Patio grill/ Earth and Ocean, but tables near the heaters fill up quickly at dinner.  We had trouble with the female Maitre D saving tables. A big no no. We sat in the cold for 45 minutes, she finally let us move. Heard from other guests she had done this on other occasions. If she is still doing it, please complain.  It is the first time I complained about a specific Seabourn employee. 

Well , this sort of off-topic but...

In 64 years of stuffing my pie-hole, the three best meals I’ve ever had are:

- The seafood lunch bbq on Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos.  All sea food from Galapagos waters, bought that morning.  It had everything.

- Tasting menu with (bottomless) wine pairing at Le Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower, at sunset.

- My mother’s pot roast 🙂

Have traveled far and wide, and cruised with Seaborne, Regent, SeaDream, Xpedition, and Windstar.

Sorry, all we have are travel memories at the moment...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Well , this sort of off-topic but...

In 64 years of stuffing my pie-hole, the three best meals I’ve ever had are:

- The seafood lunch bbq on Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos.  All sea food from Galapagos waters, bought that morning.  It had everything.

- Tasting menu with (bottomless) wine pairing at Le Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower, at sunset.

- My mother’s pot roast 🙂

Have traveled far and wide, and cruised with Seaborne, Regent, SeaDream, Xpedition, and Windstar.

Sorry, all we have are travel memories at the moment...

Don’t be sorry, they sound like fabulous memories and we all need some happy breaks these days.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, Fletcher said:

I don't think I've eaten any sort of burger for maybe 30 years.  And I haven't drunk Coke since I was in my teens.  Maybe that's why I'm slim and healthy. 

As I said on another thread a week or so ago. Thomas Keller's contract should be terminated before the ships sail again.  His restaurant food is (apparently) nothing like the food on the ships so Seabourn simply bought his 'name' to fool the gullible passengers.  

On 5/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, Fletcher said:

I totally agree.  When I look back across my cruising life and think of the greatest meals afloat I think of the spontaneity of two ships in particular - on the Corinthian II in the Med the chef bought freshly caught red mullet and octopus and served up a grilled lunch on deck with these fishes, ratatouille and rice.   And on the Orion in Papua New Guinea the chef bought sackfuls of mud crabs and cooked them for everyone at dinner, either steamed Chinese-style or served as a light curry. Utterly fabulous.

Beats a lousy burger any day!

I think you are pretty dismissive of the humble burger.

Nothing wrong with a prime beef patty grilled medium rare, topped with some mature cheddar, fresh tomato and lettuce a nice dressing and popped between 2 brioche buns.

I enjoy a good homemade burger at least once a month usually washed down with a cold beer although nothing wrong with a Coke also.

I'm also slim and healthy and enjoy my food.

Edited by Reef Knot
text
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 3:59 AM, MJN1 said:

7. The Napa Burger, Seabourn Cruise Line

The Napa Burger

The Burger: Developed by Michelin-starred chef and Seabourn partner Thomas Keller, this decadent burger is made with a high-quality RR Ranch beef and pork patty, five-year aged Wisconsin cheddar cheese and Thousand Island dressing made in house -- all packed into a potato brioche bun with the freshest fixings (lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles).

I have not had a mixture of beef and pork in a burger, the pork could be an improvement. My patio menu described the Napa burger as "Potato Onion Bun, Secret Sauce, Hooks Five Year Sharp Cheddar, Fries". US cheese makers usually do not add yellow dye to their sharp or aged cheddar, Hook's photo makes it look like they do: http://hookscheese.com/cheese descriptions.html

I am not much of a burger eater, doubt that any shipboard tomato slices, even on Seabourn, compare favorably with my home grown tomatoes. A slice of beet is a nice addition to a burger. I think the cut of beef used in a burger is more important than the grade of beef; chuck is better than round, sirloin is better than chuck, etc. The best burger I have had was made of chopped (not ground) ribeye. The cook said that grinding makes the patty too mushy.