Questions about "Free at Sea Gratuities" charge and NCL Joy

Is there an additional gratuity charge (the $15.50 per person a day) to what they charge you when booking ($154.40 for a 7 night cruise "free a sea gratuities" charge). This is when booking on the NCL website. 

Also I've Googled and have been on Youtube for photos, but cannot seem to find photos of any aft or forward balcony rooms on deck 10. Has anyone seen any photos of these balcony rooms?

Thanks

The free at sea gratuity charges cover gratuities for the free at sea promotions; drink and/or dining package. They do not cover the standard daily service charges.

(If you are in the UK it operates differently for legal reasons)

• Like 1

Thank you. I guess in retrospect it's a decent deal despite not including coffee or juice. It ends up being an extra $139 for a 7 night trip so less than $20 a day you drinks which is a really good deal. I've never really felt like I was missing out not getting alcohol or sodas on a cruise. I would have a drink on occasion (always the drink of the day), but never been someone who feels like I need a drink package. 

Edited by FaithPlus1

4 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Also I've Googled and have been on Youtube for photos, but cannot seem to find photos of any aft or forward balcony rooms on deck 10. Has anyone seen any photos of these balcony rooms?

Which stateroom category would you like to see?

They are mostly the same for standard (side) balconies and standard mini-suites/club suites. Some have angled balconies which are larger. Some staterooms have a larger bathroom. 

NCL is changing many stateroom alphanumeric codes and descriptions after Sept. 2020 for Joy so you might have some success looking for the older names/codes. 

4 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Is there an additional gratuity charge (the $15.50 per person a day) to what they charge you when booking ($154.40 for a 7 night cruise "free a sea gratuities" charge). This is when booking on the NCL website. 

Thanks

Yes, it's the DSC (Daily Service Charge) which is separate from the 20% Beverage and Dining grats if you include the Beverage and Dining as the promos.

Summary:

Booze: $138.60 ($19.80 per day)

Dining: $15.80

DSC: $15.50 x 7 = $108.50

Bottom line: the booze promo is the best deal if you drink! If you do not select the booze promo, you'll end up with a bill of hundreds of dollars if you like to drink, even if you drink a little at home - impossible to drink a little while on ships and on vacation! $19.80 per day will give you only 2 drinks - drinks are not cheap on ships!

Edited by bluesea777

5 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Thanks

Can you specify which ship?

44 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Which stateroom category would you like to see?

They are mostly the same for standard (side) balconies and standard mini-suites/club suites. Some have angled balconies which are larger. Some staterooms have a larger bathroom. 

NCL is changing many stateroom alphanumeric codes and descriptions after Sept. 2020 for Joy so you might have some success looking for the older names/codes. 

Ohhhhh I didn't realize this. TY

2 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Thank you. I guess in retrospect it's a decent deal despite not including coffee or juice. It ends up being an extra $139 for a 7 night trip so less than $20 a day you drinks which is a really good deal. I've never really felt like I was missing out not getting alcohol or sodas on a cruise. I would have a drink on occasion (always the drink of the day), but never been someone who feels like I need a drink package. 

you can deselect the drink pacakge from the free at sea and save the grat, if you dont drink much. 

2 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Another question (I've cruised NCL a few times, but always did the Sailaway rates so didn't pay for extras). If you get the "free" specialty restaurants, why are there prices on the menu? 

Most of the restaurants are a la carte if you do not have the dining package. Also if you choose to order extra items they will have an additional charge.

11 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Another question (I've cruised NCL a few times, but always did the Sailaway rates so didn't pay for extras). If you get the "free" specialty restaurants, why are there prices on the menu? 

If you do a search, you will find a gazillion CC threads fully explaining the SDP and ala carte.....        also, since you typically cruise via Sailaway, I would highly recommend you read all the T&Cs applicable to your SDP / PBP.  

18 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

The specialty restaurants are not "free". Those are the prices to eat at them if you walk in with no package.. If you get the dining package with your booking or purchase it, then you have already paid and don't have to pay the a la carte price. Just be sure you read the package  terms and conditions because some restaurants still have an upcharge.