CNBC: Carnival to restart Cruises in phases August 1st

kwokpot

6 hours ago, txagcol1 said:

Tell you what, I will bet a bottle of johnny walker blue with you that you won't sail in October.  Your just doing wishful thinking.  So is Carnival.  

txagcol1 - We both know you win that bet.

The pileup of bad news this week has the usual apologists/shills posting in even nastier tones than usual today. 🤣

It's called aggressive ignorance - don't let them get ya down!

CCL's "cruising starts Aug. 1" pablum is laughable. Cruising starts when (or IF) the CDC and USCG say so. Til then, Donald isn't more than just another loud guy in the bleachers: nobody cares what he says.

And the problem for the "optimists" is that the virus isn't going anywhere. Til there's a handle on it, no insurer on the planet will clear a cruise ship to sail. 

5 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

And the problem for the "optimists" is that the virus isn't going anywhere. Til there's a handle on it, no insurer on the planet will clear a cruise ship to sail.  

I think this may be the line that is least arguable. The time table to getting a handle on the virus is open right now but tomorrow is only a day away - and it will one of the next tomorrows (anyone's guess) when we hopefully will get that breakthrough.  

1 hour ago, 48traveler said:

Seems as if I remember way back there someone asking, What happened to  Firefly ?  

True, but I dont want to be disappeared again  lol

But I've taken a break too, no more 8 cruises a year.

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

academics are almost never the answer in the real world

I disagree.  I say thank you to the teachers and educators and professors who work so hard, and are so often unappreciated, for the good work they do.   At some point Jonas Salk had his first biology textbook and a teacher explaining cell division to him.  The treatment and vaccine of the coronavirus will come thanks to academics, in every sense of the word, because it will be based on the years of education, and the recorded and analyzed observation of all the previous generations.  Academics teach us how to do that and organize it.   Engineers who design cruise ships, from propeller to radar, rely on a course of academic study.  No one comes out of the womb with the knowledge and ability to do these things.  We need others' past experience and training, which is passed on, and hopefully, built upon.   

Edited by naxer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The false narrative here is that the Caribbean countries need your cruise dollars so bad that they will allow the mega ships back. Anyone who has lived in the Caribbean knows that healthcare is a problem, many islands have no real hospitals. And they don't like you that much, especially if they think you will kill them with COVID.

As predicted they are taking measures -

https://news.yahoo.com/bahamas-haiti-want-negative-covid-100000509.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Exactly, look how much changed in the last 3 months. No one here can predict where things will be in 3 more months, though seems to be a lot of know it alls. 

Dont cruise if you dont want to, stay home, but thinking you run ccl and have all the answers ... no one knows what the future is.

True, but lets look at what is happening, deaths are on the rise, and not slowing down yet!

As States begin  to reopen basic services, there will be more infections and deaths!

Carnival is being sued for what happened when no one knew about the virus, and its affects!

You might be OK with cruising, you might go on a cruise without any problem, but the likelihood that someone in the near future goes on a cruise, and doesn't get infected with this virus seems impossible! 

What do you think will happen in the future if cruisers become infected, and die where Carnival now knows how bad this virus is! Those lawsuits would bankrupt Carnival! 

Remember, all insurance as far back as the early 2000's stopped any coverage for virus outbreaks, all businesses who reopen while this pandemic continues are on their own when it comes to lawsuits!

Someday this virus as everything, will end, but anyone who thinks in a few months, and not years is just kidding themselves!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Nothing is safe. I believe we have to learn to be careful but live with this virus. Sweden has more deaths but they still have a economy. My 101 year old dad needs his pacemaker batteries checked. Nurses and doctors being laid off as so called elective surgeries are on hold. He has a pain in his stomach we cant take him to ER for because we doubt he could live without my mom locked in a hospital alone. They have been married for about 75 years. Since she turned 18.

Please save your lectures. 

There is a cost some of you dont seem to get. 50% of chemo patients missed their chemo treatments.

My moms 98 year old sister had just moved to assisted living and was loving the interaction. Her son took her every friday to get her hair done. Within 2 weeks the lockdown hit, for her own good. But its taking a toll. She is a very social lady. Lots of friends, everyone loves her. Now her kids cant visit, she is sliding downhill locked in a room alone. 

There is a cost in lives to not living a normal life most here are too young or shallow to get.

Thank you, you have said a lot that is not being said but needs to be. There is a cost to this in real terms.

At some point, life has to go on in order for people to not lose everything.  If someone is concerned, they can stay home and avoid everything, but places are beginning to open in areas that are not hot spots.  People have a right to work and support their families.  The chances of a lower risk person dying from this virus are extremely low.  High risk people can take precautions without forcing the entire country to stay at home.  Not every place in the US is like New York.  I don't even know one person who has tested positive for this virus.  Hot spots can stay closed, but the rest of the country has a right to open up with care.

As far as cruising, it would be great if they could test people before sailing or have them show proof they had the virus.  While nothing will eliminate the chance that someone could enter a ship with the virus, this would make the risk minimal.  They could also reject people who have a fever over 101.  I would have no problem paying for a covid-19 test before cruising.  By the time cruising opens up, there should be sufficient tests available.

In the mean time, I am ready for the area I live in to open up.  I will still wear a mask and gloves in stores and avoid people, but it's time.  Nobody is forcing someone who is scared to go out.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

Firefly333

Carefully get back to normal would be great. We already saw how that worked in California with beaches packed the first day back open. So they had to close them the next day.

People aren't going to use common sense or Social distance. It's going to be it won't happen to me, so I'm going to do as I please.

There are many that just throw caution to the wind, and that's fine , until it affects someone else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

At some point, life has to go on in order for people to not lose everything.  If someone is concerned, they can stay home and avoid everything, but places are beginning to open in areas that are not hot spots.  People have a right to work and support their families.  The chances of a lower risk person dying from this virus are extremely low.  High risk people can take precautions without forcing the entire country to stay at home.  Not every place in the US is like New York.  I don't even know one person who has tested positive for this virus.  Hot spots can stay closed, but the rest of the country has a right to open up with care.

As far as cruising, it would be great if they could test people before sailing or have them show proof they had the virus.  While nothing will eliminate the chance that someone could enter a ship with the virus, this would make the risk minimal.  They could also reject people who have a fever over 101.  I would have no problem paying for a covid-19 test before cruising.  By the time cruising opens up, there should be sufficient tests available.

In the mean time, I am ready for the area I live in to open up.  I will still wear a mask and gloves in stores and avoid people, but it's time.  Nobody is forcing someone who is scared to go out.

I'd agree in all cases but with a disease, where your actions affect others!

I don't want to limit your life in any way, but I don't want you risking my life with this virus either!

There's the crux of the argument that I mentioned in an earlier comment!

Responsibility for one's actions! I only have an opinion, the ultimate answer will come from the majority!

Say we reopen everything, and someone infects another, is that a crime when we know this pandemic is ongoing.

Is there liability in lawsuits, Carnival is getting sued right now over virus infections and deaths on cruises a few months ago.

Because we all have just opinions and decisions haven't been made, that's why I thought its gonna be awhile for cruising to return.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it comes back greater then ever, that works for me if it happens as we love cruising.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AmBear said:

I'd agree in all cases but with a disease, where your actions affect others!

I don't want to limit your life in any way, but I don't want you risking my life with this virus either!

There's the crux of the argument that I mentioned in an earlier comment!

Responsibility for one's actions! I only have an opinion, the ultimate answer will come from the majority!

Say we reopen everything, and someone infects another, is that a crime when we know this pandemic is ongoing.

Is there liability in lawsuits, Carnival is getting sued right now over virus infections and deaths on cruises a few months ago.

Because we all have just opinions and decisions haven't been made, that's why I thought its gonna be awhile for cruising to return.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it comes back greater then ever, that works for me if it happens as we love cruising.

If someone is so concerned about getting the virus that they want things to stay closed, that person can freely stay home.  Nobody is forcing anybody to go back to work or to visit businesses that are open.  My dad is a high risk person.  He avoids everyone and wears gloves and a mask when he ventures out.  He hasn't been to a store since early March.  He will continue to take responsibility for his own health and doesn't think every place should stay closed for him.  It is unrealistic for places to stay closed until there is a vaccine.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

If someone is so concerned about getting the virus that they want things to stay closed, that person can freely stay home.  Nobody is forcing anybody to go back to work or to visit businesses that are open.  My dad is a high risk person.  He avoids everyone and wears gloves and a mask when he ventures out.  He hasn't been to a store since early March.  He will continue to take responsibility for his own health and doesn't think every place should stay closed for him.

You are ignoring essentials, drs. visits, hospital visits, procedures, shopping for food, optical visits/surgeries, dental visits/surgeries,  etc., there is no staying home for these essentials!

As far as your Dad goes, I disagree with him, others shouldn't be putting his life, or anyone else's life at risk!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If someone is so concerned about getting the virus that they want things to stay closed, that person can freely stay home.  Nobody is forcing anybody to go back to work or to visit businesses that are open.  My dad is a high risk person.  He avoids everyone and wears gloves and a mask when he ventures out.  He hasn't been to a store since early March.  He will continue to take responsibility for his own health and doesn't think every place should stay closed for him.  It is unrealistic for places to stay closed until there is a vaccine.

YES, this. Everyone is responsible for their own health. No other person is responsible for your health. You either take the precautions you think are necessary or you don't. That's all there is to it.

• Like 5