NCL Still Selling Impossible Merchandise

roger001

NCL is still actively selling, with special offers that will expire in 33 hrs....cruises that will just never, never happen.  I wish them a wonderful future because I love cruising.  But to be selling this merchandise and taking persons money for it, should be criminal.  I hope I'm proven wrong, but to advertise this stuff and take persons money for it, total theft.  It should be mandated by some agency that before they can advertise and sell these cruises, they must show clearly the details of how these cruises will happen, absolute and clear evidence that all to make it happen has been documented and guaranteed.  

I just glanced quickly at some offered.    Bliss, Alaska, out of Seattle, July 5.    Joy, Seattle, July 4.  Gem, Bermuda, out of Boston, July 3.  Encore, Bermuda, out of NYC, July 5.  Jewel, Alaska, out of Vancouver, July 3.  And numerous other early July cruises offered out of Florida.  

Maybe I just don't get it and this virus thing is going to be concluded by the end of June, and all the ships will be staffed with crew and procedures and will be ready to go.   I don't think so.  I think if they take a penny from unsuspecting persons for any of these cruises right now, it is criminal.   Not every cruiser is on CC.  There are many unsuspecting persons out there who are uneducated about cruises.  You can say, yea, but they must be pretty stupid to buy one of these offers with the virus situation being what it is.  Not necessarily.  If the big cruise lijne is selling it, then it must be good.      My opinions.......

1 minute ago, roger001 said:

NCL is still actively selling, with special offers that will expire in 33 hrs....cruises that will just never, never happen.  I wish them a wonderful future because I love cruising.  But to be selling this merchandise and taking persons money for it, should be criminal.  I hope I'm proven wrong, but to advertise this stuff and take persons money for it, total theft.  It should be mandated by some agency that before they can advertise and sell these cruises, they must show clearly the details of how these cruises will happen, absolute and clear evidence that all to make it happen has been documented and guaranteed.  

I just glanced quickly at some offered.    Bliss, Alaska, out of Seattle, July 5.    Joy, Seattle, July 4.  Gem, Bermuda, out of Boston, July 3.  Encore, Bermuda, out of NYC, July 5.  Jewel, Alaska, out of Vancouver, July 3.  And numerous other early July cruises offered out of Florida.  

Maybe I just don't get it and this virus thing is going to be concluded by the end of June, and all the ships will be staffed with crew and procedures and will be ready to go.   I don't think so.  I think if they take a penny from unsuspecting persons for any of these cruises right now, it is criminal.   Not every cruiser is on CC.  There are many unsuspecting persons out there who are uneducated about cruises.  You can say, yea, but they must be pretty stupid to buy one of these offers with the virus situation being what it is.  Not necessarily.  If the big cruise lijne is selling it, then it must be good.      My opinions.......

Yeah but if you book you might get 125% FCC! after the cruise is cancelled.  Could be a sweet deal

• Like 1

@Newleno

Correct logic.   There are people on other threads who are doing just that.   It means that NCL gets some money as a long term loan and don't have to actually pay it back.   Even better for NCL if they increase the later prices to cover the extra 25%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you book with CN certificates and/or FCC, you aren't spending any money that you haven't already spent - and you aren't going to get back.  You might not get anything or you just might get additional FCC to use when you can actually sail.

49 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

hmmm, interesting - do you get FCC if you "book" with a CruiseNext certificate? 

You don't get the 100% FCC on that amount as they just return the CN to you. You do, however, get the extra 25% bonus FCC on that amount.

There may be folks on here clever enough to actually use these cruises to their benefit, additional FCC , if you want  to go through the process after the cancellation...and assuming that chapter 11 isn't down the road.   However, these cruises I will assume are being  sold to many, many other persons who fully expect to go on a cruise.  The will have booked airline, hotels, gotten excited and prepared for this maybe once in a lifetime anticipated experience.  Unless NCL has at least 90% certainty these cruises will sail, to sell them is absolutely dishonest, criminal.  My opinion...again....     I was feeling very sorry and sympathetic for the cruise lines and this mess they, and all of us have found themselves in.  However, now I'm beginning to very much dislike them and think they suck.   Oooops...my opinion again.  

Cruise lines usually begin to offer their cruises for booking 18 months before sailing date because that's how long it can take to sell out a ship that carries 2,000-4,000 passengers.  For the most part during this pandemic cruise lines are not the entity deciding whether a listed cruise will sail.  It is governments that are making those decisions and currently those decisions are in a state of flux.  They are currently working (as we speak) with the CDC and other authorities to get clearance to sail.  In their last no sail order the CDC laid out guidelines that ships had to meet in order to resume cruising.   In some cases the cruise lines report they have already offered plans for CDC approval.

In this current environment if they were to stop selling all cruises until they are 90% certain those cruises will be allowed to take place they would be sailing near empty ships...:-)

6 hours ago, Newleno said:

Yeah but if you book you might get 125% FCC! after the cruise is cancelled.  Could be a sweet deal

Doesn't sound so sweet to me. I'm expecting very limited options from US ports later this year. Forget international travel. Plus....a yet to be defined experience onboard unlike anything we are used to seeing. Good luck securing flights, if you require airfare. Hopefully, you'll be able to secure a fair price for your cruise. And, hopefully we don't have a resurgence in early 2021 that shuts cruising down again.

May not be such a good deal for those who were issued FCCs in March 2020. Those FCCs expire in March 2021, unless they are redeemed prior. NCL is in full control of their pricing models, too. It would be naive of us to think that they don't realize what is at stake here.

The clock is and has been ticking....

• Like 1

I saw what may be an answer as to why they are still selling cruises that may get cancelled. It is a way to show to creditors that they still have a loyal customer base that is willing to book cruises hoping that they will still happen. Not a bad strategy. I wonder if other cruise lines are doing the same thing?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roger001 said:

We are booked on the July 6th Jewell cruise from Vancouver and all we keep receiving are emails to upgrade.  Of course, I am not handing them anymore money.  I am 99% positive that this won't sail especially with the CDC order.  We have not received one email telling us what NCL is going to do to keep us safe.  Nothing even stating that they are working on it.  The lack of communication and waiting until the last minute to actually cancel the cruises that will not be sailing is what is going to loose any additional business from us. 

• Like 1

And from another just posted thread, another good reason for them to stop selling tickets now.   They know none of thee advertised are going to sail.   

Norwegian Cruise Line said there is “substantial doubt” about its ability to continue as a “going concern” as the coronavirus pandemic wreaks havoc on the industry, the company said in a securities filing published Tuesday.

The coronavirus outbreak, “including its effect on the ability or desire of people to travel (including on cruises), is expected to continue to impact our results, operations, outlook, plans, goals, growth, reputation, cash flows, liquidity, demand for voyages and share price,” the company said. “These factors have raised substantial doubt about the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern.”