Chase TRAVEL credit cards now give 5x on groceries

clo

IT's actually 6, 1 + 5 extra.

FWIW, Walmart does not work for this. It all has to do in how your charge is categorized, and WM is not categorized as a grocery store. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

FWIW, Walmart does not work for this. It all has to do in how your charge is categorized, and WM is not categorized as a grocery store. 

I can't find the 6x but no problem. I've boycotted WM for years so again not a problem 🙂

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

And do you know how Costco is categorized? Would think they should be. 

• Here is the email I got 
More points at grocery stores
Automatically earn 6X total points at grocery stores.
Special offer:
From May 1 through July 31, 2020, you’ll earn a total of 6X points on up to $5,000 spent at grocery stores with your Marriott Bonvoy™ Credit Card.* No enrollment or activation required.

We will travel again, and we can’t wait to welcome you back. Until that day 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORV said:

I would say COstco would be categorized like Sams Club, not a grocery store. 

Never been in a Sam's Club either 🙂

1 hour ago, ORV said:
  • Here is the email I got 
More points at grocery stores
Automatically earn 6X total points at grocery stores.
Special offer:
From May 1 through July 31, 2020, you’ll earn a total of 6X points on up to $5,000 spent at grocery stores with your Marriott Bonvoy™ Credit Card.* No enrollment or activation required.

We will travel again, and we can’t wait to welcome you back. Until that day 

Fortunately many other Chase cards qualify.

It would be hard to spend $5000 on groceries in 3 months and then the 30K Marriott points don't get you much.

I always use the Sapphire Reserve.

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

I always use the Sapphire Reserve.

That's what we use. Neither of us got an email. Was that from the Marriott card? Oh, the one TPG listed for CSR had the end date as 6/30/20.

15 minutes ago, clo said:

That's what we use. Neither of us got an email. Was that from the Marriott card? Oh, the one TPG listed for CSR had the end date as 6/30/20.

Yes - that one is only till 6/30. It;s a nice bonus but not a major benefit. It's the travel and restaurants that add up big time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Yes - that one is only till 6/30. It;s a nice bonus but not a major benefit. It's the travel and restaurants that add up big time.

Totally. BUT we have a local rancher with a meat store that's to lay down and die for. Very easy to drop some bucks there. 🙂

And dagnabbit we won't be getting to Seattle by then for foie gras and caviar. I KNOW they're considered a 'grocery' cause their champagne can only be served in 3oz. glasses. I should check out their shipping costs 🙂

Edited by clo

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

..but don't do it - not even for 5X points 😀

LOL. You can't go in. You order ahead, pay and they deliver to your car.

Thanks.  I switched to my Amex Delta Card when they upped grocery points.  Lousy redemption, but live in a hub.   All my cards are travel cards.  

But, I’ll switch back to using the Sapphire now.  If we can never travel again, at least it can act as cash back with the Chase points.  It is a lousy redemption value, but not worthless.

53 minutes ago, tgg said:

Here's the link to the Points Guy's post.  Note that the bonus offer is not uniform. Most are 3X, not 5X.  And Walmart is included if they have a grocery department.  The dollar amount you can earn is not significant, but it's nice to get anything extra right now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-grocery-bonus-promo/

That's interesting about the Walmart and Target, I read the fine print on mine and it said nothing to that effect. Neither does the Marriott site or the Chase card site. I wonder where he got that information. 

I don't belong to Costco, but rather to BJs as it is closer to us.   It does NOT count as grocery - and from other blogs I have read, neither do Costco, Target or WalMart.    However, I placed an Instacart order from BJs and used my Freedom Unlimited card and it did code as grocery.  So that was an interesting discovery.    Wish I knew, because if you have a Chase Freedom card ($0 annual fee and it pairs well with the Sapphire Reserve) the currently 2nd quarter bonus is 5X on grocery stores up to $1500 spend.   

This quarterly bonus on the Freedom card is usually offered at least once a year, and I've been able to buy the grocery store gift cards as part of my order and have them count toward the spend limit.   Not sure if this would work with the other Chase cards at this time.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

We use Instacart for all grocery shopping these days and they pay 5X on my CSR card

Yes, very useful, but that is only for now, trying to add benefits to the CSR at a time when the travel and dining benefits are not being used by most cardholders as a way to maintain retention esp. in light of the increased annual fee to $550. 

Just pointing out that the Freedom is a good card to add to the Chase credit card arsenal as a way to boost UR earnings and the grocery bonus is offered at least one quarter every year, and other quarterly 5X bonuses ranging from gas to warehouse clubs can help earn lots of points with no added card fee.  

31 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Bonus is not on all Chase cards. The UA ones get it, the Ink business cards don't.

This article has a list of the cards and the respective points bonus :

https://www.cnbc.com/select/chase-sapphire-credit-cards-bonus-rewards-groceries/

Obviously not complete list because Marriott cards are not on it.

Edited by the mice
added info

8 minutes ago, the mice said:

Just pointing out that the Freedom is a good card to add to the Chase credit card arsenal as a way to boost UR earnings and the grocery bonus is offered at least one quarter every year, and other quarterly 5X bonuses ranging from gas to warehouse clubs can help earn lots of points with no added card fee.

Thanks - good idea.

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Thanks - good idea.

There is also what is known as the Chase Trifecta - the 3rd card is the Freedom Unlimited, also a $0 annual fee, which earns 1.5 Ultimate Rewards points on everything, so it is useful for all spend for which no other bonus is applicable.   You do need to have a Sapphire Preferred or Reserve so that you can pool the points, but since you have the CSR you would be covered.    This is how my husband and I boost our points earning.

3 minutes ago, the mice said:

There is also what is known as the Chase Trifecta - the 3rd card is the Freedom Unlimited, also a $0 annual fee, which earns 1.5 Ultimate Rewards points on everything, so it is useful for all spend for which no other bonus is applicable.   You do need to have a Sapphire Preferred or Reserve so that you can pool the points, but since you have the CSR you would be covered.    This is how my husband and I boost our points earning.

Again - thanks, good to know.