Refund from NCL Canceled cruise

If this helps anyone I'm happy.

I had an Oceania cruise 4/14/20 cancelled on March 12, 2020. Put in for a refund with O the following day. Four weeks later I got a partial refund minus $1100.

Also got a travel waiver from Qantas for our flights after requesting a refund.

Within 3 weeks of filing a dispute with Costco Visa I got a refund on the Qantas tickets and a refund of the Oceania balance.

Now I filed a dispute for a canceled NCL cruise for May 17, 2020 also with Costco Visa. I thought it was absurd that I had to wait till May 7 to file a request for a refund. Costco Visa is giving NCL 45 days to respond to the dispute from the day I filed May 3. Costco Visa has already given me a temp credit for the NCL charges.

I already have a new booking with Oceania but would not care in the slightest to be blackballed by NCL. I never wanted to sail with them in the first place- it was for a family reunion.

Just got word from Citi that I lost the dispute. I find it completely ridiculous that NCL has the resources to fight CC disputes but doesn't have the ability to refund us. I love NCL, but I may be jumping ship after this fiasco. Absolutely terrible customer service.

I started another thread on this topic before seeing this one. 

We requested refund March 23rd for our April 2039 NCL-cancelled cruise. Have not received it as of yet. But our PCC has called to try to get us to rebook with FCC. 

I cancelled all of our extras (dining package, premium beverage package, shore excursions, prepaid gratuities) a few days before our cruise was cancelled,  knowing I could always add them back on if we were to go. I got a refund for those things within a couple of weeks. But NCL still has over $8,000 of my money, and that is making me nervous.

Considering disputing with Amex. Seems people have had good results with that 

3 hours ago, adamnoone said:

Just got word from Citi that I lost the dispute. I find it completely ridiculous that NCL has the resources to fight CC disputes but doesn't have the ability to refund us. I love NCL, but I may be jumping ship after this fiasco. Absolutely terrible customer service.

sad to hear but can you give details on why CC dispute was lost? what did NCL say to your CC company?

8 hours ago, adamnoone said:

I believe I read a message from you on cruise critic that you filed a dispute claim on 3/13/2020.  I didn’t receive a notice from NCL until 3/14/2020 indicating suspension of cruises embarkation dates 3/13/2020 to 4/11/2020. 

Did you attempt to resolve dispute with NCL first?  That’s an important first step before filing a dispute claim.  Keep a record of who you spoke with and the information provided.  

You might not be eligible for a cash refund from NCL but you may be eligible for future cruise credit from NCL.

1 hour ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I believe I read a message from you on cruise critic that you filed a dispute claim on 3/13/2020.  I didn’t receive a notice from NCL until 3/14/2020 indicating suspension of cruises embarkation dates 3/13/2020 to 4/11/2020. 

Did you attempt to resolve dispute with NCL first?  That’s an important first step before filing a dispute claim.  Keep a record of who you spoke with and the information provided.  

You might not be eligible for a cash refund from NCL but you may be eligible for future cruise credit from NCL.

You are correct. I opted to cancel that dispute the next day and gave NCL the benefit of the doubt. I refiled my dispute early in May when the bankruptcy rumors were running rampant. I have called NCL multiple times to check up and keep getting the same reply. "Sir, it can take up to 90 days after filing for a refund, although the refunds are typically completed much sooner".  Welp, its day 66 and no refund. I am indeed eligible for a refund. NCL cancelled my 3/28/20 sailing, not me. 

Edited by adamnoone

12 hours ago, mnsweeps said:

sad to hear but can you give details on why CC dispute was lost? what did NCL say to your CC company?

Pretty sure, based on other posts, that the person cancelled under POM but firmly believes that they are entitled to a cash refund because the cruise was eventually cancelled.

Just today Chase VISA made my dispute credit permanent. AMEX had done the same a few weeks back. But NCL still hasn't responded to either the credit cards or myself. Unbelievable, how a company can steal in daylight and not be held accountable.

• Like 1

I spoke with someone today at NCL regarding my points used for my upgrade because I'd seen others getting their points back.  The person I spoke to said they were still not back in the office and working from home still.  Asked me to wait 3 weeks to call back for points.  I hope that is not the excuse for refunds too.

I've seen on another page a spreadsheet showing refunds requested/received.  It is a very small sampling but so far all the Pride of America passengers have received their refunds from the first round of requests.  It is only 3 but it is a start.

7 minutes ago, ISLABONITA said:

How long did it take?

We were cancelled by NCL on March 13. We applied on March 23 for full refund as directed...

so to answer your question based on my count.... In business days....just over 50..

in actually days including weekends.. about 76...

However...we just recieved the email..I do not see the refund yet and email says depends on financial institution and an additional 7-10 Business days....so we will see... Will post an update as soon as I see the $$

Edited by LBJB2009
  • Like 2

Our refund appeared on our credit card today. Our cruise was scheduled for March 14th, canceled on the 13th. We were standing in Florida and ready to go. I filed for a refund on the 23rd. I'm still sad we didn't go! Now's when I start looking for my next adventure. 

• Like 2

Just now, MichaelJess said:

Our refund appeared on our credit card today. Our cruise was scheduled for March 14th, canceled on the 13th. We were standing in Florida and ready to go. I filed for a refund on the 23rd. I'm still sad we didn't go! Now's when I start looking for my next adventure. 

Excellent 👌 starting to look good for all.. we were in Tahiti already as well for our pre-cruise on the Jewel...😩 we were scheduled for embarkation March 20

1 minute ago, podgeandrodge said:

do people know if you paid a travel agent, whether refund goes to them and they pay you?  or does NCL get your payment details from them and refund you directly?

Refund goes to whoever paid.  Most agents pass the payment info to NCL and NCL would charge your card directly.  If your agent paid for you, they will get the refund.  Look at your cc statement and see who is listed as the payee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, podgeandrodge said:

do people know if you paid a travel agent, whether refund goes to them and they pay you?  or does NCL get your payment details from them and refund you directly?

Good question..so far on the CC I used.....it has all been 'NCL reservation' transactions...and not Costco travel....which is who we booked with....we are also CAD if that ends up mattering somehow 😉...I will see what happens with this much larger amount.....which I will  hopefully see in a few days.. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Refund goes to whoever paid.  Most agents pass the payment info to NCL and NCL would charge your card directly.  If your agent paid for you, they will get the refund.  Look at your cc statement and see who is listed as the payee.

I've been in contact with our agent. She knows we'll use her for our next booking. None of our money went to her. We received 100% back from norwegian. I don't know if she had already received a cut from norwegian. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, julig22 said:

16 minutes ago, LBJB2009 said:

Good question..so far on the CC I used.....it has all been 'NCL reservation' transactions...and not Costco travel....which is who we booked with....we are also CAD if that ends up mattering somehow 😉...I will see what happens with this much larger amount.....which I will  hopefully see in a few days.. 

for me anyway, having checked, it went to my travel agent, so looks like they will get the refund and pass onto me.  Hopefully 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, drbeamer said:

We had Boston Bermuda booked 5/8/20.

on 3/11/20 I asked for refund of pre paid gratuities and up sell beverage package through my PCC. Told it would take 7-10 days. Not a dime yet.

on 4/14/20 requested refund of cruise. Of course nothing on that either. We are platinum plus, our first cruise was on the SS Norway. Have Pride of America booked in 2021. Losing hope for future cruising.

Brian

Received complete refund back to my credit card this week. 

• Like 1