Experiences filing credit card dispute to get refund

nyceve

We were booked for the trip of a lifetime (for us) to celebrate 50 years of marriage. We were to leave on the Westerdam on May 31st for an Alaska land cruise. We had been given the option of canceling and taking a cruise credit, but we were still excited to go if the cruise was a go plus it was way too much money to tie up in a possible future cruise. Sometime in the middle of March, I followed a link from CC for refunds from Holland. When I tried to use it, I got the message that it didn’t apply to my cruise. Well, OK I thought, we’ll just go on the cruise that we had planned for a year. Sometime during the following week, I read that Canada was closing it’s ports at least to July. At that time, I contacted Costco who I booked through to find out what Holland was planning. They contacted Holland and were told that I had already cancelled and they would be sending a refund for most of my money and issuing a FCC for the rest at 125% plus a $250 onboard credit. The problem I am having is that I still have not received anything from Holland in writing confirming this. I called through Costco again on May 1st and after speaking to Holland they confirmed the details, but still nothing in writing. They said the refund would take 60 days from cancellation, which we’ll see. If I had anything in writing, I would go ahead and book a future cruise. However, I am not willing to risk more investment without that written verification. My question is, have any of you received written confirmation of refund or FCC?

Hello, after waiting 60 plus days, we are ready to file cc dispute.  Our HAL account still says canceled cruise is still active not showing cancelation.  We need to provide documentation to CC company the amount of refund.  We only mass email that HAL announced upcoming cancellation.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 9:51 PM, iagrandma said:

We were booked for the trip of a lifetime (for us) to celebrate 50 years of marriage. We were to leave on the Westerdam on May 31st for an Alaska land cruise. We had been given the option of canceling and taking a cruise credit, but we were still excited to go if the cruise was a go plus it was way too much money to tie up in a possible future cruise. Sometime in the middle of March, I followed a link from CC for refunds from Holland. When I tried to use it, I got the message that it didn’t apply to my cruise. Well, OK I thought, we’ll just go on the cruise that we had planned for a year. Sometime during the following week, I read that Canada was closing it’s ports at least to July. At that time, I contacted Costco who I booked through to find out what Holland was planning. They contacted Holland and were told that I had already cancelled and they would be sending a refund for most of my money and issuing a FCC for the rest at 125% plus a $250 onboard credit. The problem I am having is that I still have not received anything from Holland in writing confirming this. I called through Costco again on May 1st and after speaking to Holland they confirmed the details, but still nothing in writing. They said the refund would take 60 days from cancellation, which we’ll see. If I had anything in writing, I would go ahead and book a future cruise. However, I am not willing to risk more investment without that written verification. My question is, have any of you received written confirmation of refund or FCC?

I have not received a single communication from HAL.  This is why I filed a dispute with cc company.  I immediately received full provisional credit.  HAL has 45 days to dispute, but they have nothing to dispute because they are trying to keep our money.  Best route for everyone is cc dispute.

• Like 2

I would not wait 60 days.

I would first check with the credit card issue to determine their rules for disputes. 

You would not want to wait 60 days or more only to find out that your dispute could not be considered because of a time limitation.

Thank you for your reply.  We are done waiting and will definitely call our bank to start dispute.  So many cheerleaders in this board are forgiving but I think we have given HA fair share of patience.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Janet76 said:

Thank you for your reply.  We are done waiting and will definitely call our bank to start dispute.  So many cheerleaders in this board are forgiving but I think we have given HA fair share of patience.  

It's easy to be a cheerleader when you don't have any skin in the game.  I, for one, am pretty much straightforward when it comes to business dealings.  Communication in difficult times helps.  Timely responses help.  Timely refunds are a must.

We are waiting for over $9,000 for a cancelled Princess cruise.  Once the actual cruise date passed, April 4, we filed a disputt with Costco's CitiBank card and received a provisional refund while they slug it out with Princess.  At least I have an advocate in my corner.

I'm no cheerleader, and I have some skin in the game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Janet76 said:

Hello, after waiting 60 plus days, we are ready to file cc dispute.  Our HAL account still says canceled cruise is still active not showing cancelation.  We need to provide documentation to CC company the amount of refund.  We only mass email that HAL announced upcoming cancellation.

I didn't have to submit any documentation from HAL when I filed my dispute.  I simply looked at my transaction history on my card's website, found the charge to HAL and clicked the little icon to dispute the charge.  Different cards will have different mechanisms, but I don't think you have to submit any cancellation documentation from HAL.  I would keep any emails confirming the purchase of the cruise itself, just in case.  Cruises aren't sailing right now, so there isn't much you need to prove.

I included my booking number with HAL in the details and I even mentioned that the cruise line's 60 day wait.  I received my provisional credit after 2 days anyway.  Don't assume you need to wait 60 days before the dispute.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Janet76 said:

Janet, I tried filing a dispute claim yesterday with my cc company, I need some kind of proof from HAL, I have nothing.  It's been 9 weeks since cancellation.

I also received nothing from HAL.  I opened HAL chat line.  I gave my booking number and asked for total refund $.  I then screen shot the conversation and saved it as documentation.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.  

Edited by Janet76

Our experience:

1) My husband surprised me with an August 2020 cruise to Alaska back in February 2019.  He had paid the cruise and travel insurance in full at that time (rookie mistake, but well-meant).

2) He added the drink package and pre-paid the gratuities in August 2019 so we'd just be able to enjoy ourselves without worrying about a huge bill at the end.

3) HAL FINALLY cancelled the cruise a week and a half ago.  I used HAL's form to request a cash refund for the cruise and I went online to my HAL account to request a refund of the drink package and OBC on May 7th.

4) Disputed the cc charge (from February 2019) over the phone with Chase.  I had to wait on hold for an hour, but due to how old the charge was, there was no way to do it online.

5) Received the drink package and OBC credit on my cc May 12th.

6) Received the condition credit for the cruise and travel insurance on my cc May 15th.

I'm pleased HAL refunded the drink package and OBC so quickly and that Chase was willing to work with us on a charge that had been paid in full over a year ago.  We should receive a check from them within 30 days or less according to my customer service rep.

~ Marci

Edited by sciencegrrl
spelling

I also received nothing from HAL.  I opened HAL chat line.  I gave my booking number and asked for total refund $.  I then screen shot the conversation and saved it as documentation.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.  

The chat line?  Never heard of it.

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

It's easy to be a cheerleader when you don't have any skin in the game.  I, for one, am pretty much straightforward when it comes to business dealings.  Communication in difficult times helps.  Timely responses help.  Timely refunds are a must.

We are waiting for over $9,000 for a cancelled Princess cruise.  Once the actual cruise date passed, April 4, we filed a disputt with Costco's CitiBank card and received a provisional refund while they slug it out with Princess.  At least I have an advocate in my corner.

I'm no cheerleader, and I have some skin in the game.

I've also disputed a charge with Costco's Citibank. I began the dispute 4/24. I received conditional credit within a few days. About 10 days ago I was asked to provide additional documentation. Thankfully, I booked through Costco so I had emails on online chats with them.

Were you asked to provide any additional documentation to Citibank? I've been told that the matter will be resolved no later than July 13.

• Like 1

The fact there was no receipt for the option choice was the beginning of a process that has led to nothing but frustration and mistrust.  I looked around and it appears a few of their competitors did provide such receipts by email.  Terribly unfair and unacceptable business move by HAL.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, Jimbo59 said:

File a formal dispute. Legally you have 60 days to do this. Then the credit card company will deal with the cruise line.

Do your rights disappear if you don’t file the dispute within 60 days? 

12 hours ago, Kfrech said:

I've also disputed a charge with Costco's Citibank. I began the dispute 4/24. I received conditional credit within a few days. About 10 days ago I was asked to provide additional documentation. Thankfully, I booked through Costco so I had emails on online chats with them.

Were you asked to provide any additional documentation to Citibank? I've been told that the matter will be resolved no later than July 13.

Citibank disputes section sent me an email asking for documentation.  I emailed them a cut-and-paste of the cancelled cruise document that I received from Costco.  That satisfied them.  The CitiBank clock is running, so one way or the other I'm getting my refund.

9 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Do your rights disappear if you don’t file the dispute within 60 days? 

File your dispute immediately.  Do not assume that you need to wait any amount of time.  Your card issuer dictates the timeline not the cruise line and certainly not posters on cruisecritic.  If your card requires you to wait out the refund period then you have to wait, but at least you started the process and had it documented.

And to answer your question, maybe.  Your card may have time limits on when charges can be disputed.

When I filed my dispute with Chase, I attached the email from HAL from 3/13 when they canceled our 3/14 cruise in which they stated I would be refunded 100%.  Chase still has us with a conditional credit. 

20 hours ago, gigianne said:

Janet, I tried filing a dispute claim yesterday with my cc company, I need some kind of proof from HAL, I have nothing.  It's been 9 weeks since cancellation.

What proof are the credit cards requesting exactly?  I provided a booking number and sail date to Chase in my dispute.  I kept all my booking emails so I could submit those if needed but I was never asked for it.  My cruise fell on dates on which NO cruise lines were sailing from US ports.  Maybe you can submit a general cancellation/operational pause notice like the ones that have been posted here.

One reason a client would initiate a credit card dispute is that the merchant is being unresponsive.  Requiring this merchant to provide supporting documentation when they are not communicating transparently with the client seems like it would make it impossible to dispute the charge.

When this is all over, you might want to look at other credit card providers and consider dumping your current card provider.  Making you jump through unnecessary hoops when it's obvious to everyone on the planet that cruises aren't sailing is unacceptable.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, 1025cruise said:

Please understand that HAL has a ton of refunds to process. Please also understand that they too are working remotely. While a CC dispute would get your money back quickly, it could mess things up in the future. Please be patient, they are working as hard as possible to generate all the refunds.

this is the biggest BS they try to feed people and some bite it hook and sinker. it takes they 10 minutes to process all the refunds. noone is writing checks by hand and has to tally everything in a big dusty logbook. How long does it take them to process their charges after you leave the ship and this is more complex operation. does it take 90 days to process your payment when you book your cruise? There is one and only one reason - cash flow issue, scrambling to find money that were spent already etc. If they delay refunds by 60 days, it is 2 month of interest they do not have to pay. I am also positive that their legal team is looking into any loop hole to get out of refunds, bankruptcy included. There is no excuse for this, if you cancel service you should refund money on the spot.  

• Like 4

Have been reading this thread for quite sometime. I certainly understand the situation that HAL is faced with as well as all cruise lines. However, with the complete lack of communication from HAL, I decided to take some self preservation action.

Like others, our Alaskan cruise was cancelled and we filed for 100% refund immediately after the announcement. Filed the online form with HAL for cancellation but never heard a word from HAL. Our TA was the one who spent time on the phone, just recently, to establish the fact that our cancellation/refund had been received. Our TA was told that refund would now PROBABLY come in another 60-90 days.

So, on Friday (5/15) I called CapitalOne to file a dispute. The representative was delightful and explained the whole process with no question left unanswered. Yesterday (5/16) the full refund amount due from HAL appeared on my credit card statement as Purchase Adjustment. Of course it is not spendable yet until HAL has time to challenge (kind of hard to do since we paid in full and they cancelled the cruise) or, as the credit card representative stated, they will probably not respond at all. After the given time, Capital One will notify me that the amount is indeed a spendable credit. If nothing else, I feel secure now even if HAL goes bankrupt or out of business.

Hopefully I won't have to do this again with regards to our 12/5/2020 cruise with HAL but, if I do, I will.

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, funintehsun said:

What proof are the credit cards requesting exactly?  I provided a booking number and sail date to Chase in my dispute.  I kept all my booking emails so I could submit those if needed but I was never asked for it.  My cruise fell on dates on which NO cruise lines were sailing from US ports.  Maybe you can submit a general cancellation/operational pause notice like the ones that have been posted here.

One reason a client would initiate a credit card dispute is that the merchant is being unresponsive.  Requiring this merchant to provide supporting documentation when they are not communicating transparently with the client seems like it would make it impossible to dispute the charge.

When this is all over, you might want to look at other credit card providers and consider dumping your current card provider.  Making you jump through unnecessary hoops when it's obvious to everyone on the planet that cruises aren't sailing is unacceptable.

I was asked by my cc company to submit any correspondence I had showing I had made a reasonable effort to get my refund.  Boy, did I have emails, begging and pleading for even a response from HAL. I think the CC company wants to know that you tried to get the vendor to make the refund. I expect that HAL will not respond to any of our disputes and the provisional refund will become permanent within a reasonable amount of time.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nyceve said:

I was asked by my cc company to submit any correspondence I had showing I had made a reasonable effort to get my refund.  Boy, did I have emails, begging and pleading for even a response from HAL. I think the CC company wants to know that you tried to get the vendor to make the refund. I expect that HAL will not respond to any of our disputes and the provisional refund will become permanent within a reasonable amount of time.

Having to show that you reached out to the cruise company to resolve it seems reasonable to me .  Having to provide cancellation documentation from HAL (which is what I understood giginanne is required to provide) is not.

• Like 1