Question about booking airport to port transfer through RC

How important is it to book through airport transfer with RC if you are not spending the night in town? I'm a party of 1, so to me it seems like booking through RC is the best way to go, however does the guaranteed to get you to the port thing still apply if your flight is late (flight isn't booked through RC). Thanks

3 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

How important is it to book through airport transfer with RC if you are not spending the night in town? I'm a party of 1, so to me it seems like booking through RC is the best way to go, however does the guaranteed to get you to the port thing still apply if your flight is late (flight isn't booked through RC). Thanks

what town?

You mean airport to port.

There are private shuttle companies (shared van service).  I would research those.  

The last time I did this, I just called an Uber.

I dislike RC shuttles intensely.

Pretty sure this would not help you if your flight is late.  In that event, I would call the cruiseline  and take a taxi.  Otherwise, a private shuttle if you are not comfortable with Uber or Lyft. 

2 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Yeah I saw that too but my question was about a guarantee shuttle booked through RC (no offense). I know I could just Uber in lol. 

I don't think they guarantee they get you to the ship. There is a time for the last shuttle. When I travel with someone else, it's always cheaper to use a van service or Uber/Lyft. But I've found if I'm alone, sometimes RCI's service can be either the same price or very slightly more. When I sailed out of Galveston, the last bus left Hobby at 1:45 (I'm trying to remember that far back). There were tons of people and we were broken up into 1st bus and 2nd bus. The agent even sold seats to walk ups so at least at Houston, pre-purchase was not required. She had a list of arrival times for everybody who had pre-purchased. There was a delayed flight with some guests and I think she said they would pay for a van or taxi to get them to Galveston. If your flight gets in too late to make the 90 min cut off, you're catching the ship at the next port, they won't wait for you.

20 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

I don't think they guarantee they get you to the ship. There is a time for the last shuttle. When I travel with someone else, it's always cheaper to use a van service or Uber/Lyft. But I've found if I'm alone, sometimes RCI's service can be either the same price or very slightly more. When I sailed out of Galveston, the last bus left Hobby at 1:45 (I'm trying to remember that far back). There were tons of people and we were broken up into 1st bus and 2nd bus. The agent even sold seats to walk ups so at least at Houston, pre-purchase was not required. She had a list of arrival times for everybody who had pre-purchased. There was a delayed flight with some guests and I think she said they would pay for a van or taxi to get them to Galveston. If your flight gets in too late to make the 90 min cut off, you're catching the ship at the next port, they won't wait for you.

Ah okay. I thought they had guarantee rides like how if you book an excursion with them that they are guaranteed to wait for you. 

35 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Ah okay. I thought they had guarantee rides like how if you book an excursion with them that they are guaranteed to wait for you. 

If your flight is late enough you don't really think they'll wait just because you booked their shuttle do you?

The ship won't wait if your flight is late. It is even worse that the Airport transfers will stop running after a certain point (i.e., it is not a guaranteed transfer either). 

I'm inferring that you're flying in the morning of your embarkation day.  Let's hope that it's  not delayed because the ship will not wait for you.  Maybe embarkation time will be pushed back if there is going to be extended time disinfecting the ship on turnaround day.

This is why people fly in the day before, even if you need to work a full day, just catch a night time flight, stay at a cheap hotel at the airport and catch an Uber in the morning  to the cruise port.  Or roll the dice to save a few bucks.

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'm inferring that you're flying in the morning of your embarkation day.  Let's hope that it's  not delayed because the ship will not wait for you.  Maybe embarkation time will be pushed back if there is going to be extended time disinfecting the ship on turnaround day.

This is why people fly in the day before, even if you need to work a full day, just catch a night time flight, stay at a cheap hotel at the airport and catch an Uber in the morning  to the cruise port.  Or roll the dice to save a few bucks.

Yeah that's why I asked. Normally I do fly in the day before a cruise, but there's several connections on Alaska from where I live to Seattle. 

I'll just Uber in. I think that ends up being more expensive for me (again 1 person) than doing a RC affiliated shuttle, but at least I wouldn't have to wait and wait. I just thought that the incentive (aside from convenience) of booking cruise transportation was a gurantee like they do with excursions. 

Have you been to the port of Seattle? Is embarkment and disembarkment as bad as I think it is based on the number of people on Ovation? I usually like to be one of the last ones on the cruise ship, and one of the first to leaves (I don't need valet assistance with luggage). Ovation would be the largest ship that I have ever been on and my first RC. 

23 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

I usually like to be one of the last ones on the cruise ship

That method may help, but back ups can still happen - with a Celebrity ship usually embarking the same day, the terminal will be busy.

1 hour ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Yeah that's why I asked. Normally I do fly in the day before a cruise, but there's several connections on Alaska from where I live to Seattle. 

I'll just Uber in. I think that ends up being more expensive for me (again 1 person) than doing a RC affiliated shuttle, but at least I wouldn't have to wait and wait. I just thought that the incentive (aside from convenience) of booking cruise transportation was a gurantee like they do with excursions. 

Have you been to the port of Seattle? Is embarkment and disembarkment as bad as I think it is based on the number of people on Ovation? I usually like to be one of the last ones on the cruise ship, and one of the first to leaves (I don't need valet assistance with luggage). Ovation would be the largest ship that I have ever been on and my first RC. 

Uber is easy when arriving at SeaTac airport.  You will walk from the main terminal across a skybridge to the parking garage, then follow the signs to Uber.  Look for a row of Uber cars waiting for passengers.

Embarkation - Seattle's cruise port embarkation has generally been organized with short lines.  If you just have carry-on luggage and no large bags, proceed past the porters and luggage drop-off directly into the terminal.

Regarding disembarkation - we usually walk off the ship with our bags.  There is often a short wait for prearranged shuttle services heading to SeaTac airport.  You may wait for a cab - taxi fares to the airport are flat rate.  There is a separate area for Uber but expect a short wait there also. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PNW Traveler said:

Uber is easy when arriving at SeaTac airport.  You will walk from the main terminal across a skybridge to the parking garage, then follow the signs to Uber.  Look for a row of Uber cars waiting for passengers.

Embarkation - Seattle's cruise port embarkation has generally been organized with short lines.  If you just have carry-on luggage and no large bags, proceed past the porters and luggage drop-off directly into the terminal.

Regarding disembarkation - we usually walk off the ship with our bags.  There is often a short wait for prearranged shuttle services heading to SeaTac airport.  You may wait for a cab - taxi fares to the airport are flat rate.  There is a separate area for Uber but expect a short wait there also. 

Yeah I typically just bring a carry on and have just brought it on with me. It's not paranoia, I just don't see it as an inconvenience as say large luggage. Do you think there's less of a wait getting their early or getting there late? 

I've never been to the Port of Seattle, but to bypass long lines when waiting to leave, can you just walk a bit to catch the bus to take you to the light rail, or just walk away from the port to wait by yourself?

Unrelated how are you doing in WA right now?

Yeah I typically just bring a carry on and have just brought it on with me. It's not paranoia, I just don't see it as an inconvenience as say large luggage. Do you think there's less of a wait getting their early or getting there late? 

I've never been to the Port of Seattle, but to bypass long lines when waiting to leave, can you just walk a bit to catch the bus to take you to the light rail, or just walk away from the port to wait by yourself?

Unrelated how are you doing in WA right now?

We usually get to the port between noon and 1 pm.  There seem to be more cruisers boarding between 11 and 12, perhaps getting to the ship in time for lunch.  We try to time arrival for staterooms opening at 1.

Getting of the ship at the end of the cruise is a busy time.  My guess is that those from eastern states may be trying to get to the airport for flights.  The three-hour time difference from the east coast makes a difference to those who are trying to get home on same day flights. 

It might be easier to Uber to light rail than to take a bus to the station.  Seattle has two cruise ports.  One is downtown on the waterfront and the other is north and in a semi-industrial area, not necessarily easy for walking.  Royal Caribbean uses the Smith Cove (north one) port for most of its cruises.

In answer to your second question - Seattle cruise port is still closed with no published opening date.  Washington state is in phase one of reopening, but not much open.  New Covid cases are being reported, but fewer than at the "peak."  We are asked to "stay home, stay healthy" until May 31st.  Many of us have a dose of cabin fever.  😞

Wish we were cruising out of Seattle this summer!

• Like 1