Prices so low- worry about default

Petoonya

7 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Booked a cruise today that was approximately half the price I paid in late 2018. Scares me. I know they need cash but is there any scuttlebutt about WS going under?

Really? The cruise I'm watching is still $1000 per person more than the cruise that was cancelled.

Same. Amazing deals on Tahiti and some of the Windsurf Jan-spring Caribbean itineraries.

We carry an annual travel policy through Nationwide that we renew each year. I should probably check the language just in case...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

13 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

Same. Amazing deals on Tahiti and some of the Windsurf Jan-spring Caribbean itineraries.

We carry an annual travel policy through Nationwide that we renew each year. I should probably check the language just in case...

Thanks Mini.

I just insured my most recent cruise booked before this WS cruise with Nationwide due to worry about default. But do wonder if they cover a pandemic. Think I'll call to find out for sure. Travel Insured did  not cover for pandemic on cruise this month 5/2020 😞

You'd think with all this worry about cruise funds to be returned and cruise line defaults that I'd stop booking cruises.

Edited by Petoonya

Thanks Mini.

I just insured my most recent cruise booked before this WS cruise with Nationwide due to worry about default. But do wonder if they cover a pandemic. Think I'll call to find out for sure. Travel Insured did  not cover for pandemic on cruise this month 5/2020 [emoji20]

You'd think with all this worry about cruise funds to be returned and cruise line defaults that I'd stop booking cruises.

Hey Nancy, I hear ya. This is our only cruise with a full deposit on it; the price so good, we’re willing to gamble a bit. We have a $200 deposit (promo deal) for a Jan 2022 cruise.

Deb

Prices vary dramatically with sail date at the moment.  "Artists and Idols of Iberia" [10 nts] for Nov. 2020 starts at $1,799 and Deluxe Suite is only $4,399 but the April 2021 sailing starts at $2,999 and Deluxe Suite is $5,799.  Same exact itinerary, but everybody's worried the earlier one won't sail so prices are very low.

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Prices vary dramatically with sail date at the moment.  "Artists and Idols of Iberia" [10 nts] for Nov. 2020 starts at $1,799 and Deluxe Suite is only $4,399 but the April 2021 sailing starts at $2,999 and Deluxe Suite is $5,799.  Same exact itinerary, but everybody's worried the earlier one won't sail so prices are very low.

Yeah. I just have a hard time with mine as prices continue to be exceedingly low even for November 2021 which you’d think people would feel more confident booking. Tahiti is being especially stringent however in allowing cruise ships In. Maybe May 2021 is overly optimistic of me. Maybe move later in 2021.

• Like 1

I just rebooked Dreams of Tahiti on Wind Spirit Jan. 14, 2021 and saved $500 pp on the fare. Plus Windstar is giving us each $250 OBC. They are using my $100 deposit as the admin fee to change the booking and I gave them a new $100 deposit. I am coming out way ahead.

Back to my worry about default- anyone concerned about it?

I also want to book a Tahiti excursion that always sells out fast and don't know if I dare put the money down on it again for fear of default.

Anyone have a crystal ball?

We want to book the Drift Snorkel in Raiatea.  I too am weighting  the pros and cons of booking this now.  (Still waiting for Princess to return my money for the same excursion - now canceled.)  The Windstar cruise is actually $10 less than Princess.  It was our favorite excursion when we were on Oceania Marina.

Edited by Heartfelttraveler

On 5/16/2020 at 12:06 PM, minidonuts85 said:

What cabin # did you book? We booked 106. Hoping it’s quiet considering 104 and 108 both reported as quiet on the list...

Mini- wanted to ask you again....was that upsell to BX $350pp or $350 total? My TA can't get anything like that!

30 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

We want to book the Drift Snorkel in Raiatea.  I too am weighting  the pros and cons of booking this now.  (Still waiting for Princess to return my money for the same excursion - now canceled.)  The Windstar cruise is actually $10 less than Princess.  It was our favorite excursion when we were on Oceania Marina.

Heartfelt....I don't know about a drift snorkel in Raiatea unless you're talking about going to Coral Gardens from there. Or maybe you mean Tiputa pass in Rangiroa? If there's another drift snorkel in Raiatea would love to know more.

18 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Heartfelt....I don't know about a drift snorkel in Raiatea unless you're talking about going to Coral Gardens from there. Or maybe you mean Tiputa pass in Rangiroa? If there's another drift snorkel in Raiatea would love to know more.

On the Oceania cruise the Coral Gardens drift snorkel was from Raiatea and we did four passes and also had time to snorkel around the boat.  On the Widstar cruise it is from Motu Mahaea.  I do not know how many passes we will get (hopefully two or more) but I am looking forward to it.  I am looking forward to our traveling companions having the opportunity to do this also.

31 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

On the Oceania cruise the Coral Gardens drift snorkel was from Raiatea and we did four passes and also had time to snorkel around the boat.  On the Widstar cruise it is from Motu Mahaea.  I do not know how many passes we will get (hopefully two or more) but I am looking forward to it.  I am looking forward to our traveling companions having the opportunity to do this also.

Have done the Windstar excursion twice now and you get 3 passes. Did you already purchase your WS excursions?

Edited by Petoonya

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Have done the Windstar excursion twice now and you get 3 passes. Did you already purchase your WS excursions?

We have reserved Bora Bora H2O for the second day in Bora Bora.

We have not reserved any other yet.  We will probably reserve the Coral Garden Drift Snorkel and a jet ski excursion soon and the rest by final payment.  "I" think that the excursions will have fewer people in an attempt to be overly cautious.  We will probably just book our excursions through Windstar.

I am reluctant to put any more money into this trip until the first cruise sails on September 3. 

If you have any suggestions for private excursions let me know.

Also, we will be in Moorea for four night pre cruise and Tahiti 3 nights post cruise.  Any suggestions for things to do there?

I am also looking forward to buying some etched/carved pearls in Raitea and some lariat of pearls in Tahiti.

2 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

We have reserved Bora Bora H2O for the second day in Bora Bora.

We have not reserved any other yet.  We will probably reserve the Coral Garden Drift Snorkel and a jet ski excursion soon and the rest by final payment.  "I" think that the excursions will have fewer people in an attempt to be overly cautious.  We will probably just book our excursions through Windstar.

I am reluctant to put any more money into this trip until the first cruise sails on September 3. 

If you have any suggestions for private excursions let me know.

Also, we will be in Moorea for four night pre cruise and Tahiti 3 nights post cruise.  Any suggestions for things to do there?

I am also looking forward to buying some etched/carved pearls in Raitea and some lariat of pearls in Tahiti.

Is it just the four of you with H2O BB? Are they good with just 4? And are you doing 1/2 or full day with them.

Know what you mean about not wanting to put any more $ into this! Let me know what you decide to do. Really keeping my fingers crossed for you on your cruise. Just heard Air Tahiti Nui is starting up service July 1.

I started early on trying to roundup passengers to make minimums on some of the shore tours we want to do. I listed them all by island on my roll call. Let me see if I can link the roll call to this post and hope it helps you. The only thing I left out on my lists were the Lagoonarium on Moorea. Everyone raves about it but the surroundings looked kind of dank when we visited. But worth a second chance. Also left out three other snorkeling companies in Bora Bora that I've used that were wonderful- Tohora Bora Bora, Pure Snorkeling and Lagoon Service.

Here's the link:

Thanks Petoonya - H2O Bora Bora only takes six.  They are very happy to take only four.  They charge the same $110 pp whether there are four, five, or six.  We loved our excursion with them February 2019.

We are retired and usually take four big trips a year.  I follow lots of the cruise lines on Cruise Critic for preliminary information.  With all these cancelations I have seen more complaints about CCL Holdings (Carnival, Princess, and Holland America) not following through with promised refunds or FCC.  I am about only about two weeks into my wait for our deposit  ($1300) and an excursion and two wifi packages.  This is the first time that we had used a travel agent since 2014.  Even though our agent had been with the company for 15+ years, she is now not answering her phone or emails.  When I emailed her I got a reply from another agent (she may no longer be employed) which basically said to contact Princess.  This does not make me feel warm and fuzzy or very happy about the February 2021 cruise booked with them.

Our June Viking River Cruise was canceled and Viking had our money back in our account and credit card in about 30 days.

Windstar's main compounding financial problem would be the three remodels with the very expensive stretch adding about 100 passengers each.  From what I have been reading, they are going ahead with the project.

I will be looking for news about international travel in general and FP in particular.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, Petoonya said:

Booked a cruise today that was approximately half the price I paid in late 2018. Scares me. I know they need cash but is there any scuttlebutt about WS going under?

Hi Petoonya, I see you have mentioned your concerns re Windstar going “under” a few time’s now.  As they are offering some quite good pricing on some of their cruises, this does NOT mean they are in financial trouble. If you have any information please share it here, and your sources, rather than speculation. 

I have been a TA for a number of years, 35 plus, (now retired) When things get tough out there in the tourism world, companies want to generate people back to their products or services, the best way to do this is to offer some great tempting prices. Over the years I have seen not only WindStar but other cruise lines extend some great deals to encourage passengers to enjoy their cruises again, along with airlines, Hotels, resorts etc. let’s support them as much as we can when we are able to.

I was going to re-book a Regent Seven Seas cruise around Tahiti in 2021, but their dates do not suit, consequently always thought Windstar to be No 1 in FP, so will not be hesitating to book one of their extended cruises in 2021.

Just a note..in the Regent Cruise forum, there has been some concerns in the Travel Cruise Media about certain issues, people posted links to these concerns whereas we could make our own assessment. Refunds are flowing back on the NCL lines.

3 hours ago, jessandarnie said:

Hi Petoonya, I see you have mentioned your concerns re Windstar going “under” a few time’s now.  As they are offering some quite good pricing on some of their cruises, this does NOT mean they are in financial trouble. If you have any information please share it here, and your sources, rather than speculation.

Thanks  for you comments Jess and Arnie,

Since you were a TA for 35 years no doubt you sold space on the Renaissance ships. We cruised on them twice before our last son went off to college and we decided to do an "empty nesters" cruise with some friends who would have been enjoying their first cruise. As you might guess I'm leading up to my sad tale that we and our friends were waiting in the Mediterranean for our R ship in late September 2001 when the line declared bankruptcy.

It was 9/11 that did the line in finally but it had been hurting for lack of sales for a few months prior and lowered prices significantly. We picked our poison by traveling to Europe right after 9/11 but felt we didn't want to be scared off by terrorists. Took our eye off the ball until cancellation penalties would have been too painful anyway. Maybe you disagree but I feel I've earned the right to ask if anyone else is concerned about default. Just like with Renaissance, Windstar is displaying two indicators I lived through with Renaissance- low prices and a catastrophe. I just didn't know R was bleeding money. Wish I had Cruise Critic back in 2001 as I don't trust myself evaluating a company's financial health. We lost all our money as did our friends, and have taken them on a few vacations since then out of guilt!

So I'm not speculating as you suggest- only looking for other's take on it. Maybe a better question would have been to ask if anyone knows about WS financial picture. Best wishes to you.

Windstar and Renaissance have at least three major differences, all in Windstar's favor.  

(1)  Renaissance had just ordered eight ships that were seven times as large as their previous fleet (30,277 tons vs 4,200) – on credit.  Windstar only has the Star Plus Initiative costs, and they have been spread out by the delays for asbestos and now the shipyard suspending activity.  So Windstar is under much less financial stress.  

(2) Renaissance was completely independent, so they had no other resources to depend on.  Windstar is owned by Xanterra, which has many other activities (all travel related, but not cruising and so possibly able to return to business even more quickly) and which is backed by billionaire entertainment magnate Phillip Anschutz.  So Windstar has much deeper financial resources.  

(3) Renaissance's policy of not paying Travel Agent commissions meant that their ability to generate new bookings after 9/11 was severely limited.  Windstar has good relations with the travel agent community and its small ships will provide the selling point that "smaller is safer."  

So, no guarantees, but I think Windstar is well positioned to survive.

• Thanks 1