Do Russian citizens need a U.S visa for cruises from Florida?

eric1313

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You do have to go through immigration . Everyone on an international flight landing in the US does, even if they are only connecting to another international flight. The US operates differently in that regard than many other countries. 

Even if it's not actually changing to a connecting flight - it may be different now, but in 2014 we flew from Paris to Papeete with Air France, with a stop in Los Angeles, presumably for refuelling.  We all had to leave the aircraft and spent the next two hours being processed before reboarding for the second leg to Papeete, same aircraft, same flight number, although we were allowed to leave all our luggage and personal possessions on board.

I did wonder at the time why such a big airport as Los Angeles didn't have what we would call an international transit lounge where passengers could all be quarantined during the stopover?

On 5/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, sanger727 said:

Do you? I don't know. I live in the US so when I connect in the US it's international to domestic. So yes, have to leave through the terminal and enter US at first stop. But I know my airport has an international terminal. So, If you entered gate C6 and were leaving again out of gate C9 because it was an international to international flight, I"m not sure that you would have to go through immigration and enter the US. It seems like it wouldn't be that different than the Frankfurt example. 

Yes, you would have to go through immigration.  EVERYONE on an international flight coming to the US must pass through immigration at the first US airport.

Didn't you notice that EVERYONE on the had to go the same way and are separated from departing passengers?

So you C6 to C9 connection WOULD be via immigration.

Yes, in Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, London, Munich, Vienna, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Istanbul, Seoul, you do not have to do this.  

And yes, I HAVE transited the US on an international to international flight, and had to clear immigration and customs.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:58 AM, All That Jazz said:

*Just acknowledging the exception of pre-clearance in some airports in Canada and Ireland before someone jumps in.

In that case you "entered" that US before you boarded the aircraft. 

It just moves the point where the clearance is done.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SRF said:

Except you can still use Canadian money to buy doughnuts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Yes. Absolutely and totally correct. That is what the "pre" prefix indicates. Pre-clearance of both immigration and customs. If possible, I recommend Tim Horton.

Edited by All That Jazz
typo