Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
eric1313

Do Russian citizens need a U.S visa for cruises from Florida?

Recommended Posts

Hello all! 

Quick question. Russian citizens need a tourist visa when visiting the U.S, and delays to obtain it can be 300 days. 

But what if it's just to embark a cruise ship? Do they still need a tourist visa? 

Thanks so much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, eric1313 said:

Hello all! 

Quick question. Russian citizens need a tourist visa when visiting the U.S, and delays to obtain it can be 300 days. 

But what if it's just to embark a cruise ship? Do they still need a tourist visa? 

Thanks so much 

It seems to me that, if you are entering the US (for whatever reason) you would have to get the visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eric1313 said:

Hello all! 

Quick question. Russian citizens need a tourist visa when visiting the U.S, and delays to obtain it can be 300 days. 

But what if it's just to embark a cruise ship? Do they still need a tourist visa? 

Thanks so much 

Google US State Dept for answer and follow with Russian Embassy (or Consulate) to get agreement on current requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

It seems to me that, if you are entering the US (for whatever reason) you would have to get the visa.

This is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entering the US “just to embark on a cruise ship” is not like entering the US  only to remain in in the international area of an airport to change flights to some non-US destination.

 

Once you leave the airport, you have entered the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Entering the US “just to embark on a cruise ship” is not like entering the US  only to remain in in the international area of an airport to change flights to some non-US destination.

 

Once you leave the airport, you have entered the US.

 Even if you were just transferring from one flight to another in the US you would need a Transit (C) visa.  One is required for citizens of countries not part the visa waiver program...so a Russian citizen would need this special visa.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/transit.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You will need  a VISA    but most  offices are closed  at the moment  due to the virus

You should also check the other Countries you will be visiting  to see what their  requirements are

https://www.visahq.ru/united-states/

 

You could try one of the Embassies in Russia

https://www.usembassy.gov/russia/

 

I will 2nd that.  I went on a cruise out of Australia that went to New Zealand also.  Even though I flew in to Melbourne from the US  then got on a cruise ship I need both visa's for Australia and New Zealand.  They will need to check every country they will visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 6:51 PM, TxShipShape said:

I will 2nd that.  I went on a cruise out of Australia that went to New Zealand also.  Even though I flew in to Melbourne from the US  then got on a cruise ship I need both visa's for Australia and New Zealand.  They will need to check every country they will visit.

???   US citizens do not have to get a visa for New Zealand (If there for up to 90 days)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 6:51 PM, TxShipShape said:

I will 2nd that.  I went on a cruise out of Australia that went to New Zealand also.  Even though I flew in to Melbourne from the US  then got on a cruise ship I need both visa's for Australia and New Zealand.  They will need to check every country they will visit.

Are you talking about electronic travel authorities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FredT said:

???   US citizens do not have to get a visa for New Zealand (If there for up to 90 days)   

Yes and No.  You need the electronic visa NZeTA to do a cruise.  Even for residents from visa weaver countries.  See link above.

Something to consider.  Australia cost is AU$20 (13.91US) and good for 1 year  and New Zealand is good for two years and is NZ$9 (5.52US) or NZ$12 (7.37US).   Be sure  to use a CC that does not charge currency Conversion fees.  I have two CC's and one does change and the other does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TxShipShape said:

Yes and No.  You need the electronic visa NZeTA to do a cruise.  Even for residents from visa weaver countries.  See link above.

Something to consider.  Australia cost is AU$20 (13.91US) and good for 1 year  and New Zealand is good for two years and is NZ$9 (5.52US) or NZ$12 (7.37US).   Be sure  to use a CC that does not charge currency Conversion fees.  I have two CC's and one does change and the other does not.

You know, electronic travel authorizations are not visas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I did my research on the Australia and New Zealand boards it was referred to as a visa.  But I stand corrected.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TxShipShape said:

Be sure  to use a CC that does not charge currency Conversion fees.  I have two CC's and one does change and the other does not.

Do you mean Foreign  transaction fee  ?

Most  will charge a conversion fee when converting currencies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 4:59 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Entering the US “just to embark on a cruise ship” is not like entering the US  only to remain in in the international area of an airport to change flights to some non-US destination.

 

Once you leave the airport, you have entered the US.

 

What US airport has an International ONLY area?

 

But the US requirements are that you need at least a transit visa (C-1) or be from a country that is eligible for the visa waiver program, to even change planes in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SRF said:

 

What US airport has an International ONLY area?

 

But the US requirements are that you need at least a transit visa (C-1) or be from a country that is eligible for the visa waiver program, to even change planes in the US.

I thought Miami had one - I seem to recall talking with someone who had flown in from the UK (Manchester) - and was waiting for an ongoing flight to South America (Columbia or Venezuela) — back in the 1990’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SRF said:

What US airport has an International ONLY area?

Almost every airport that has international arrivals and departures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will most definitely need at least a transit visa. You can't leave the airport if you don't have the visa to step on US soil, and it doesn't matter if you are embarking on a ship. Authorities need to see a visa, otherwise people may start using this as an excuse to stay on US soil and not embark their cruise ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, crazyank said:

Almost every airport that has international arrivals and departures.

 

You don't understand the point.

 

In most countries,  if you are an international arrival, connecting to an international departure, you stay in a section of the airport and do not have to clear immigration.

 

So when I come from Central Asia, through Frankfurt, to the US, I never "enter" Germany/Schengen area.  I just stay in the international section.   

 

In the US, even if you arrive from Europe, connecting to South America, you pass through immigration, and "enter" the US, therefore may need a visa.

Edited by SRF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A visa or ESTA is required to 'transit' through USA, see quote from https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq

 

Do I need to apply if I'm only transiting the United States en route to another country?

Eligible nationals or citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program require either a travel authorization or a visa to transit the United States. If a traveler is only planning to transit through the United States en route to another country, when he or she completes the travel authorization application in ESTA, the traveler should select "Yes" to the question "Is your travel to the US occurring in transit to another country?".

 

The rules are similar for citizens of countries that are not part of the Visa Waiver Program and they must obtain a visa.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SRF said:

 

You don't understand the point.

 

In most countries,  if you are an international arrival, connecting to an international departure, you stay in a section of the airport and do not have to clear immigration.

 

So when I come from Central Asia, through Frankfurt, to the US, I never "enter" Germany/Schengen area.  I just stay in the international section.   

 

In the US, even if you arrive from Europe, connecting to South America, you pass through immigration, and "enter" the US, therefore may need a visa.

 

Do you? I don't know. I live in the US so when I connect in the US it's international to domestic. So yes, have to leave through the terminal and enter US at first stop. But I know my airport has an international terminal. So, If you entered gate C6 and were leaving again out of gate C9 because it was an international to international flight, I"m not sure that you would have to go through immigration and enter the US. It seems like it wouldn't be that different than the Frankfurt example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I"m not sure that you would have to go through immigration and enter the US.

You do have to go through immigration . Everyone on an international flight landing in the US does, even if they are only connecting to another international flight. The US operates differently in that regard than many other countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

 

Do you? I don't know. I live in the US so when I connect in the US it's international to domestic. So yes, have to leave through the terminal and enter US at first stop. But I know my airport has an international terminal. So, If you entered gate C6 and were leaving again out of gate C9 because it was an international to international flight, I"m not sure that you would have to go through immigration and enter the US. It seems like it wouldn't be that different than the Frankfurt example. 

 

Yes, it is government policy in the US that everyone must clear immigration at the first point of entry.* This is true whether travel terminates in the US, or you connect domestically or internationally. This website explains the process very well:

https://onemileatatime.com/us-airport-immigration-procedure/

 

*Just acknowledging the exception of pre-clearance in some airports in Canada and Ireland before someone jumps in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

You do have to go through immigration . Everyone on an international flight landing in the US does, even if they are only connecting to another international flight. The US operates differently in that regard than many other countries. 

 

1 minute ago, All That Jazz said:

 

Yes, it is government policy in the US that everyone must clear immigration at the first point of entry.* This is true whether travel terminates in the US, or you connect domestically or internationally. This website explains the process very well:

https://onemileatatime.com/us-airport-immigration-procedure/

 

*Just acknowledging the exception of pre-clearance in some airports in Canada and Ireland before someone jumps in.

 

 

Interesting, thanks for info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...