Forward cabin experiences?

I am prone to getting sick in rough seas so a mid-ship cabin makes a big difference. Also, I found that being forward directly above the Galaxy Lounge subjected me to a great deal of noise in the evening. I could physically feel the vibrations of the music through my body and stayed out of the cabin until the evening shows were done. No results when trying to address this with staff. But I still continue to happily cruise on this ship - now just very careful which cabin I choose.

1 minute ago, joytocruise27 said:

I am prone to getting sick in rough seas so a mid-ship cabin makes a big difference. Also, I found that being forward directly above the Galaxy Lounge subjected me to a great deal of noise in the evening. I could physically feel the vibrations of the music through my body and stayed out of the cabin until the evening shows were done. No results when trying to address this with staff. But I still continue to happily cruise on this ship - now just very careful which cabin I choose.

Galaxy Lounge?  What ship was that?  Either way, you're right.  Cabin location is key in many regards.  Directly above or below a nightclub usually is not good.  

On 5/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, Ironhorsejocky said:

I’m considering booking a front facing forward suite

Don't do it. Besides the motion, especially on a transatlantic crossing, you mentioned 'suite'. There is no way you will enjoy the balcony, you will be blown away when the ship is in motion. Some ships even remove the glass and replace it with bulk head so no view of the ocean in a seated or reclining position. Complete waste of money for a balcony suite.

P.S. Also and this applies to cabins at the stern as well, you will have sunlight and no shade for the entire day. Though the stern on some ships provide a large overhang. Read cruise ship cabin reviews before booking.

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

3 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Don't do it. Besides the motion, especially on a transatlantic crossing, you mentioned 'suite'. There is no way you will enjoy the balcony, you will be blown away when the ship is in motion. Some ships even remove the glass and replace it with bulk head so no view of the ocean in a seated or reclining position. Complete waste of money for a balcony suite.

P.S. Also and this applies to cabins at the stern as well, you will have sunlight and no shade for the entire day. Though the stern on some ships provide a large overhang. Read cruise ship cabin reviews before booking.

If the OP's forward suite is similar to the one we had on the Royal Princess, and I believe they are sister ships, the balcony is not front-facing.  It is off to the side--i.e., it is port- or starboard-facing.  That being said, all the balconies on the Royal Princess are fairly small.  However, it worked for us.  We were able to walk out onto it anytime we wanted.  I mentioned that on our AK cruise on the Royal Princess my wife really enjoyed looking out the suite's front-facing windows in the comfort of our cabin searching for wildlife.

8 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Bad advice all around.  Forward suites balconies on Sky Princess do not face forward.  They are on the side with a metal bulkhead protecting from the wind.  And furthermore, the railing is glass so you can still see out when sitting. 

20191021_Sky-Princess_GSloan-1.jpg

Edited by Aquahound
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Bad advice all around.  Forward suites balconies on Sky Princess do not face forward.  They are on the side with a metal bulkhead protecting from the wind.  And furthermore, the railing is glass so you can still see out when sitting. 

This is totally correct. I stayed in suite A101 on Regal and wind was not a problem at all. Like you said, the balcony is on the side, not front. I loved that room - but the ship, not so much. 

On 5/20/2020 at 7:43 AM, Ironhorsejocky said:

Thank you for the information!  
We’re going to try it but also going to keep on a lower deck.

Be aware the lower the deck the worse the view, you may only get a view of the heli pad.  Try to find a cabin video on YouTube once you pick a cabin

• 2 weeks later...

We had a forward facing suite with balcony on a smaller MSC ship (Magnifica) for a 12 day Med cruise. Didn't feel motion at all, though we were on the highest deck they have on the ship (14). 

That being said, I am a balcony person, and in truth, while I am glad I got to experience it, I would not choose a forward balcony again IMO. The views were nice, but it was windy/cold because of it. It was also not a room where you cannot have lights on at night because it was above the bridge or something like that I have read about other ships. 

We also had a "forward" PH Suite on NCL Breakaway. The balcony wasn't forward, but it was the last room on the deck. That also being said, we sailed in a tropical storm on the way out, and the darn thing turned around and followed us home! I can't remember any motion that was horrible on that cruise either (deck 9). 

That also being said, the most motion we ever had was in a mid-aft (last room before aft's started) on the Carnival Legend. The seas were really rough, to the point where they even shut down the kids club because of people getting seasick. So this would have been considered a mid-ship room even. 

One of my favorite upgrades was on a Hawaii to Vancouver cruise I was unemployed and we booked a inside cabin was trilled to get one of the most forward cabins possible. This was 20 years ago on rccl. 

8 hours ago, Jasalth said:

That being said, I am a balcony person, and in truth, while I am glad I got to experience it, I would not choose a forward balcony again IMO. The views were nice, but it was windy/cold because of it. It was also not a room where you cannot have lights on at night because it was above the bridge or something like that I have read about other ships. 

That also being said, the most motion we ever had was in a mid-aft (last room before aft's started) on the Carnival Legend. The seas were really rough, to the point where they even shut down the kids club because of people getting seasick. So this would have been considered a mid-ship room even. 

Fwd facing cabins cannot have any lights showing forward from sunset to sunrise, or at other times, as it impairs the night vision of the Bridge Officers. They can also impact the visibility of the ship's navigation lights, which is a contravention of the International Collision Regulations. Cabin stewards should close the blackout curtains during twilight.

On the Legend, if you experienced motion in your cabin, those further aft, up fwd and on higher decks would have experienced even more motion.

Our last cruise, even as close to midships and on a low deck, we had movement in the vicinity of 2 separate TRS. M'ships helps with pitching, but not rolling, or the slamming/shuddering in a seaway.

The issue comes down to who are the "good sailors."  We have spend several years on cruise ships (as passengers) and actually enjoy some movement of the ship (it rocks us asleep).  But many other fellow cruisers do not like movement and might have an issue with mal de mer.  For those folks being amidship makes the most sense.  Other cruisers love the far aft cabins which actually we do not like.  Why?  The aft cabins on many ships might experience a slight back and forth (I think it would be called yaw) motion  because of the design of the hull and the position of the props.  DW and I do not like that particular motion which is more of an issue of the ship's speed rather then sea conditions.  

When there are bad sea conditions the forward cabins are going to have the worst motion problems.  For us it is just fun and the way it is.  But if you are concerned about motion you should book amidship cabins on the lowest deck.

I will add that ship's motion is a real personal kind of thing.  We have been on many cruises where there is a lot of morning conversation about the ship's movement.  Often, DW and I will look at each other and wonder on what ship they are cruising (we feel little or no motion).  But some folks are very sensitive and any motion sends them running to the bathroom.  Others hardly notice or could care less.  

Hank

• Like 1