Cruise Leaving from Orlando - Need help Please

Hello to all reading this.  I just booked a cruise for this November that I'm really hoping ends up sailing.  The cruise is leaving out of Orlando, which I have never sailed from before.  Anyone have recommendations for a hotel?  I would like one that has restaurants/shopping within walking distance.   I looked at google maps and really didn't see anything.

Also, how early can I book my return flight for?  It looks like there maybe a 11:45 flight, but think that maybe to early? 

Thanks in advance! 

The port is about a 50-60 minute ride from the Orlando airport - do you want to stay near the airport or near the port?

Lots of hotels near the airport - look north of the airport on frontage road and TG Lee Blvd -with nearby dining and shopping options.  goportcanaveral.com has some package deals that include hotels and transportation.  we like the Homewood Suites near the port, but there are others in the area that are often suggested - just search this board.

CorTrans and Cocoa Beach Shuttle are often suggested transport options with fares starting at about $20+ per person.  We typically rent a car one-way pre-cruise, allowing us to stay, dine and shop where we want.

1145 is cutting it close - especially if there's any additional health screening required when cruising starts back up.  For an 1145 flight you need to be at MCO by about 1015 - and before 1000 is better given the usual, pre-virus TSA chaos.  that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration before 9:00 and ready to roll in your transport.  

47 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

The port is about a 50-60 minute ride from the Orlando airport - do you want to stay near the airport or near the port?

Lots of hotels near the airport - look north of the airport on frontage road and TG Lee Blvd -with nearby dining and shopping options.  goportcanaveral.com has some package deals that include hotels and transportation.  we like the Homewood Suites near the port, but there are others in the area that are often suggested - just search this board.

Thanks for the info JohninDC!  Sounds like staying near the airport maybe the way to go.   And I’ll look for a later flight.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

you might want to check if your, or a close airport is serviced by Allegiant Airlines - start there

Allegiant may be a good way to save money, but it’s not the airline that I would choose to go on a cruise, specially out of Port Canaveral. To start, they fly out of Sanford which is farther away from Port Canaveral and costlier. Also, their schedules to many destinations are limited, with maybe one daily flight, and in many cases, only 2-3 flights a week.

In addition to operating from smaller, underserved airports where many times they are the only airline, they also don’t have any interline agreements with any other airline. This means that if your flight is canceled, your alternatives to be rebooked and make it in time to your cruise are basically zero (and they do have a higher cancelation rate than most major airlines). With limited options, if your flight is canceled, they’ll refund your money with no backup options. Or they’ll rebook you on one of their flights that departs days later.

Yes, I know that many people fly Allegiant, attracted by the low fares and convenience of flying nonstop from smaller cities nonstop to their destination, but all of that may end up being costlier or ruining a cruise vacation if things don’t quite go as planned.  

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned above, MCO is roughly a 45-50 minute ride from the port.  1200 takeoff should be very doable, and also allows for a non-rushed transit.  

In regards to hotels, there is a lot near the airport, but if you head over to the cruise port when arriving, there are still many hotels and good restaurants in the local area and you have the added luxury of a short trip to the ship the morning of sailing.  Definitely look into this option too and most here are glad to provide recommendations if you need them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never been to PC, but have stayed at several hotels near MCO. I know GoPort has the Fly, Snooze, Cruise packages which are a good rate. Most the hotels they offer near MCO are walking distance to restaurants and the shuttle to/from port is included. We were using them in August, but we moved our cruise to November. Now we are driving and booking a hotel directly at the port. 

One word on MCO is that if full travel gets under way, the security check can take a long time to get through. I don't know how long it takes to get through Customs, but if you are on your shuttle at 9AM, 1 hour to MCO, 10AM in security, you should be at your gate by 11AM. 

• Thanks 1

One thing I want to throw in the hotel mix.  Now, this is based on my years in hotel hospitality, including being responsible for doing room inspections post-cleaning to be sure they are done well.  I had to "fail" many for simple little reasons and have HK come in and redo.  With the new sanitary procedures that are supposed to be in place, I'm not all that willing to stay in a hotel until maybe December.  It's going to take a lot of training for those housekeepers to be able to add the new procedures into their work.  I just hope they all get extra time allocated to finish a room now, too.    Two things to ask the Front Desk: when was the departure clean done, and how much time between the departure clean and your arrival.  I think there is supposed to be a 24 hour time period between guests.   You don't want a room that someone departed from that morning - that gives not much time to do a good clean.  If the room was vacant for 24 hours but not cleaned until the morning of your arrival, that probably isn't going to be good, either.   HK issues are the issues we get guest complaints about during a stay.  

If I was a "Do You Know Who I Am" kind of person, I'd ask to see the room chart (usually called a tape chart) to see if the room they are giving me was indeed vacant for one day before I got here.  I have a feeling there are going to be some of these types of people in the high-end hotels when they start up.   I've had a DYKWIA demand to see the chart to verify I wasn't lying about the lack of a suite for an upgrade or a slope side view room.  So, asking to verify the vacant room isn't outside of my thought train.

I didn't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer, but it's a new day and we have to think differently until all this mess is worked out.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Two things to ask the Front Desk: when was the departure clean done, and how much time between the departure clean and your arrival.  I think there is supposed to be a 24 hour time period between guests.   You don't want a room that someone departed from that morning - that gives not much time to do a good clean.  If the room was vacant for 24 hours but not cleaned until the morning of your arrival, that probably isn't going to be good, either.   HK issues are the issues we get guest complaints about during a stay. 

I didn't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer, but it's a new day and we have to think differently until all this mess is worked out.  

Wow!  That is a lot!!  Sure didn’t like about any of this.  I figured I would be ok just going over the room myself with Clorox wipes.   

Thanks for the info... hope there is no problems 

10 hours ago, workingmom200112 said:

Wow!  That is a lot!!  Sure didn’t like about any of this.  I figured I would be ok just going over the room myself with Clorox wipes.   

Thanks for the info... hope there is no problems 

I travel for work, and I have continued traveling all over the country. coast to coast, and staying at hotels on a weekly basis even during this pandemic (in fact, I’m flying to Tampa today). 

I have incorporated bringing disinfectant wipes with me. I‘ve made it a habit to wipe things that I normally touch as soon as I walk into the room (countertops, remote, door knobs, light switches, iron, etc). I also limit my outings for food. I carry a small bag with some ready made meals and snacks in case food options are limited.

Even though several hotels have pointed out the “extra steps” they are taking to deep clean rooms, it’s become evident that they don’t do as thorough a job as they should. By the time I’m done with the wipes, several are black and grimy. So even after the pandemic is over, I’ll most likely continue bringing wipes along on a permanent basis. 

So far, even with weekly travel, going through airports, flying between major cities, riding hotel shuttles, and staying at hotels, I’ve managed to remain Covid-negative during all these months (I’ve been tested as recently as 5 days ago), I’m hoping that whatever I’m doing is being effective. 

What I’d like for you to get out of my post is this:  Don’t rely on safety procedures to be in place at hotels (or anywhere) because nobody can guarantee that they’ll be adhered to. Do what you can to remain as safe as possible, take your own measures, and incorporate protocols that you know that work. Nobody better than you to take care of you. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when things return to normal this place should be clean ... it's brand new ... sits right behind (north of) the HomeWood suites at the port which is just a couple of years old itself ....

IMG_1070[1].JPG

I took this picture a couple of weeks ago when a post asked about these new spots .... Hampton Inn on one side and Home2 Suites the other in a "V"; they share a pool area in the middle.

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another piece of advice if flying into MCO, is timing. If you are arriving earlier in the day, then either MCO hotels or Cocoa Beach hotels will work. If coming in later in the evening, definitely do MCO. You can get a good night's rest, most hotels are 5-10 minutes from MCO, and almost all have a restaurant or bar very close walking distance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying into MCO at around 5PM and got a reasonable rate at the Hyatt Regency Airport.

AA $120 Base, $134 with tax for two adults in a king accessible room on 10/31/2020. . We will take cruise transfers

(which includes luggage handling) for our Disney Cruise.  Just not sure if it going to sail....

• 2 weeks later...

We always stay in Melbourne, Fl. as we dislike land-locked, crowded Orlando. Melbourne also has an airport, MLB, that can work for some flyers.

Melbourne is a nice, quiet town close to Port Canaveral and near good beaches.

The Hampton Inn on Durham Rd. in West Melbourne was newly renovated when we were there in January 2019. It is convenient to Publix supermarkets,  Target, and eateries.

Be aware of Allegiant Air safety issues as or December 2019. https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/files/FAA Oversight of Allegiant Air Final Report.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Edited by Bookish Angel