Which information is correct?

From what I've read on this board, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Royal.  We had a cruise booked for July 2020.  In mid April, before final payment, we were looking at our options.  I called the 1-800 number and talked to a representative.  She told me I could move my deposit on the July 2020 trip to a July 2021 trip.  I booked the trip.  She told me I would receive and email in 7-10 days with a form with my credit.  I would have to call  by May 31st and tell them to use that credit as my deposit on the July 2021 trip.  We decided to go with this option (as opposed to paying the final payment and hoping they would cancel -which they eventually did) because we really wanted to go on this itinerary, we didn't mind waiting another year, and we weren't out any additional money until final payment.  So, 3 weeks goes by and I still haven't received an email.  I call again.  I'm on hold for over 2 hours.  At the end of it all the rep tells me something was done incorrectly and NOW I'll receive the email in 7-10 days.  Another 2 weeks go by with no email.  So I try calling again.  I'm on hold for over 2hours every day, but can't get ahold of an actual person.  Yesterday, I finally connected with a person.  I was again on hold for over 2 hours while she tried to figure things out.  I then talked to her supervisor.  This is when he tells me that the first person gave me incorrect information and I can't use my deposit on my new cruise.  I will have to give them another deposit and then I can use the $750 credit to bring down the total balance.  If this was the case, why would I have had the May 31st deadline?  Which information is correct?  I'm so upset if the latter is true because we would NOT have committed to another trip in July 2021 if we knew RC would then be holding $1500 of ours.  What recourse do I have if they gave me bad information?  Any other options besides just losing my $750 deposit altogether?   I had a friend booked on another cruise who just lost $100 of her nonrefundable deposit and they gave her the rest of it back as a refund.  I'm so confused.  

I should add that on the original reservation I had added the insurance, but hadn't paid for it yet since final payment wasn't due.  I also added it to my new reservation.  Does that help me at all?  If the insurance covers job loss, we might be able to get our money back that way since my husband recently lost his job. 

Im sorry. This is why I waited till royal cancelled ours and took full refund. No telling whats going to happen to royal and future cruises and itineraries at this point. Didnt want to give royal my money to let them use it as a loan. Hope you get it worked out.

• Like 1

I think worst case is you'll get a future cruise credit for the $750 nonrefundable deposit.

I don't see how insurance that you haven't paid for will cover anything, sorry.

As you cancelled before final payment but didn't ask for a refund I don't think you'll be able to argue successfully for any part of that $750 back as a refund. It sounds like you took advantage of Cruise with Confidence.

I think there's some hope that you can ask for them to go back and listen to that first recording - I know they keep them from them listening to one of mine - and get that $750 put as a deposit for the new cruise.. which I certainly wouldn't give them any more money for!

28 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

From what I've read on this board, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Royal.  We had a cruise booked for July 2020.  In mid April, before final payment, we were looking at our options.  I called the 1-800 number and talked to a representative.  She told me I could move my deposit on the July 2020 trip to a July 2021 trip.  I booked the trip.  She told me I would receive and email in 7-10 days with a form with my credit.  I would have to call  by May 31st and tell them to use that credit as my deposit on the July 2021 trip.  We decided to go with this option (as opposed to paying the final payment and hoping they would cancel -which they eventually did) because we really wanted to go on this itinerary, we didn't mind waiting another year, and we weren't out any additional money until final payment.  So, 3 weeks goes by and I still haven't received an email.  I call again.  I'm on hold for over 2 hours.  At the end of it all the rep tells me something was done incorrectly and NOW I'll receive the email in 7-10 days.  Another 2 weeks go by with no email.  So I try calling again.  I'm on hold for over 2hours every day, but can't get ahold of an actual person.  Yesterday, I finally connected with a person.  I was again on hold for over 2 hours while she tried to figure things out.  I then talked to her supervisor.  This is when he tells me that the first person gave me incorrect information and I can't use my deposit on my new cruise.  I will have to give them another deposit and then I can use the $750 credit to bring down the total balance.  If this was the case, why would I have had the May 31st deadline?  Which information is correct?  I'm so upset if the latter is true because we would NOT have committed to another trip in July 2021 if we knew RC would then be holding $1500 of ours.  What recourse do I have if they gave me bad information?  Any other options besides just losing my $750 deposit altogether?   I had a friend booked on another cruise who just lost $100 of her nonrefundable deposit and they gave her the rest of it back as a refund.  I'm so confused.  

FCC’s cannot be used to cover the deposit. 

If your FCC is large enough to cover the entire cost of the cruise you can apply the a FCC at the same time that you book and then only have to pay the port fees and taxes.

you will get your original deposit as a FCC that you can apply to any cruise beefed before Dec 30, 2021

27 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

I should add that on the original reservation I had added the insurance, but hadn't paid for it yet since final payment wasn't due.  I also added it to my new reservation.  Does that help me at all?  If the insurance covers job loss, we might be able to get our money back that way since my husband recently lost his job. 

Since it was before the final payment and the insurance was not paiD for you did not have coverage.  The policy only exists after it is paid for. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

FCC’s cannot be used to cover the deposit. 

If your FCC is large enough to cover the entire cost of the cruise you can apply the a FCC at the same time that you book and then only have to pay the port fees and taxes.

you will get your original deposit as a FCC that you can apply to any cruise beefed before Dec 30, 2021

If someone would receive a FCC in July of 2021, would it be good until Dec, 30, 2022 ?

34 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

I had a friend booked on another cruise who just lost $100 of her nonrefundable deposit and they gave her the rest of it back as a refund. 

Something does not add up with this statement. 

Riysl has waived the $100pp cancellation fee on non refundable deposits.  Even if she cancelled before the waivers started she would have lost the $100 pp and received the balance as an FCC not as cash.  Only refundable deposits get cash back and they get 100% of it back. 

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No Dec 30, 2021

Well that's a problem then, what if I was to pay the final payment and cancel 48 hours before the September 23rd, 2021 sailing............surely the FCC has to be longer then December 2021?

If  not instead of losing $500 deposit, would be best to pay to pay the $200 change fee and move it to a 2022 sailing right?

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Well that's a problem then, what if I was to pay the final payment and cancel 48 hours before the September 23rd, 2021 sailing............surely the FCC has to be longer then December 2021?

If  not instead of losing $500 deposit, would be best to pay to pay the $200 change fee and move it to a 2022 sailing right?

Then in that case it is 12 months from when the FCC was issued or Dec 30, 2021, whichever is further.  

sorry I missed the 12 month part in my post.

Hope this doesn't happen to us.

We did a lift&shift to a cruise next summer. Was told that everything just shifts. We would just have to pay an additional $43 in port fees & taxes. Was also told to ignore the first statement and to wait two weeks for the correct statement. Was also assured there's no down payment or final anything except the aforementioned port taxes and fees. So, tomorrow we are supposed to see the "final" statement and in 45 days get refunded the money we paid into the original cruise excursions and amenities we also paid for.

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Then in that case it is 12 months from when the FCC was issued or Dec 30, 2021, whichever is further.  

sorry I missed the 12 month part in my post.

okay, that sounds better, you had me worried there..... 12 months from issue date sounds more like it

• Like 1