Select price vs saver

Vampiress88

We book suites, but always Select to be sure to get the one we want. Always Freedom too, so I’ve no experience of trying to change dining options.

However, although I’d agree that a little chat with the Restaurant Manager as soon as you board is probably the best option, I’d be amazed if, failing that, your butler can’t sort it for you.  They’re very keen to help, very keen to get an extra tip, and in reality a few extra freedom diners isn’t going to make a lot of difference to anybody or anything.

You’re paying extra for a suite, and I think you’ll find that you’ll get the dining option you prefer.

The booking we rebooked this from was a select suite because I wanted to get an aft suite. The price difference was a grand for select vs saver, and as I could guarantee a B4 which is aft I was happy to go for uncertain dinner offering which i can easily fix (with any luck) than pony up the grand extra.

I will try the restaurant manager first then try the butler - I am sure if the butler knows we will be eating in the suite a lot if we cant get FD that might well help our cause :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As long as your bookings are linked, you will almost certainly end up on the same table as your travel companions, even if you are allocated Club dining. Although table sizes in Club are a preference and not guaranteed (unlike Freedom where you can request one each night if you wish) I would think that in the post Covid-19 world, sharing tables with people other than your travel companions will become less and less likely. 

Taking this a step further a linked booking is an easy win for them in a social distancing context as well....

It really will be interesting to see how this works in our new reality...

I would say new normal, but who can quantify normal ;)

13 minutes ago, ToxM said:

The booking we rebooked this from was a select suite because I wanted to get an aft suite. The price difference was a grand for select vs saver, and as I could guarantee a B4 which is aft I was happy to go for uncertain dinner offering which i can easily fix (with any luck) than pony up the grand extra.

I will try the restaurant manager first then try the butler - I am sure if the butler knows we will be eating in the suite a lot if we cant get FD that might well help our cause 🙂

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very astute!  That's one of the rare situations in which you can book Saver yet still know you're getting exactly the suite you want.

And you're right about the butler too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Select dining restaurants are at variable times (e.g. every 15 mins from say 6.30pm to 9.30pm) like a normal restaurant, so you choose your preferred time for each booking. If only one of two people turn up it won’t be a problem as the table would be the same one had you booked for one anyway. 

We'll be doing Early Saver but booking Sindhu/Ocean Grill thru Personaliser before embarkation. Can we still request a preferred time on Personaliser please? It's not critical but dead handy to know. TIA.

26 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

We'll be doing Early Saver but booking Sindhu/Ocean Grill thru Personaliser before embarkation. Can we still request a preferred time on Personaliser please? It's not critical but dead handy to know. TIA.

Yes. With Select Dining it doesn’t matter whether you booked a saver or select. You simply book a set time of your choosing, exactly as you would a normal restaurant at home. There are no set sittings and you never share, other than with your travel companions. 

Edited by Selbourne

Just looking at med fly cruise Azura. The price difference between a saver in amid ships suite and a select midship suite is nearly £2k, given any of these cabins are good and they cant downgrade you , or upgrade you to a worse cabin, thinking going saver, get freedom dinning by eating speciality restaurants. 

42 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just looking at med fly cruise Azura. The price difference between a saver in amid ships suite and a select midship suite is nearly £2k, given any of these cabins are good and they cant downgrade you , or upgrade you to a worse cabin, thinking going saver, get freedom dinning by eating speciality restaurants. 

I’d just double check to make absolutely certain that all suites in that grade, or above, are acceptable to you.  I’m sure you’ve already done that, but people do sometimes get caught out and find themselves where they don’t want to be - forward, for example.

Thanks Harry, have checked and will check again

All suites in that grade are together in one block and are fine, you pay more for these than aft or forward suites so can't be put there,  and there's no grade above to be moved to. 

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

All suites in that grade are together in one block and are fine, you pay more for these than aft or forward suites so can't be put there,  and there's no grade above to be moved to. 

You can be put in aft/forward suites even if they are a higher grade and more money. Saver fares are only guaranteed minimum  not just that grade any grade booked or above can be allocated. Even though higher grade and more money I would not like a suite forward.

Edited by majortom10

49 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

You're safe then - good move!  😊

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Friends of ours had a midships suite on Azura and had major problems with it. They were woken very early every morning by the deck crew dragging deck chairs around overhead to wash the decks down. It completely put them off suites and they haven’t booked another since. You can get bad suites just as you can in any other grade cabin. 

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’ve only ever had an inside one in my two goes on a ship. Can’t wait to see what the other ones like. 

I am just a cheap and cheerful kinda girl tho

Saaaaaame.

I just prefer to spend my money on excursions, souvenirs etc

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Friends of ours had a midships suite on Azura and had major problems with it. They were woken very early every morning by the deck crew dragging deck chairs around overhead to wash the decks down. It completely put them off suites and they haven’t booked another since. You can get bad suites just as you can in any other grade cabin. 

Thank you hadn't noticed suites had open deck above them, will give Azura a miss. Looks like  Hotel for spring 2021

Yes we had an inside cabin on Oriana just below top deck and when we got into bed at night all I could hear was water spalshing about. Having checked the bathroom for taps left running and for leaks around the cabin then clicked after some thought whilst lying in bed in early hours that it was the swimming pool above us. So a late night was had and then in early hours of next morning was woken by dragging of sunbeds and staff washing the deck. Not a great start to the cruise and this went on every night/morning  we were wrecks by the time we finished the cruise through disturbed sleep and needed an holiday.

20 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The only time we've had 2 cruises in one year was 2016. Both were Early Saver and both were on Azura. The first was Southampton to the Baltics on June 4th, deck 6, partly obstructed view, outside cabin E315. This cabin was very quiet. No inside cabins because they occupied the void above the Glass House on deck 5. Below was also the promenade deck.

The second was 10th December Barbados to New Orleans, deck 10, cabin A754, last balcony near the stern. Again very quiet, with cabins above and below. A couple of days were rough weather but not noticeable at the stern. Is the 'see-saw' effect more obvious at the front? Mind you it's a big ship, so should be quite stable.

For both trips we got lucky with the P&O cabin selection, so we struck gold with Early Saver. My notes say, clean cabins, friendly staff, great food and entertainment. In fact we didn't try the Specialty Restaurants. We'll stick with E Saver on our next Arcadia trip and thrash the Ocean Grill and Sindhu. 😁 I just hope the real menus are close to the 2 sample menus mentioned earlier.

4 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

The only time we've had 2 cruises in one year was 2016. Both were Early Saver and both were on Azura. The first was Southampton to the Baltics on June 4th, deck 6, partly obstructed view, outside cabin E315. This cabin was very quiet. No inside cabins because they occupied the void above the Glass House on deck 5. Below was also the promenade deck.

The second was 10th December Barbados to New Orleans, deck 10, cabin A754, last balcony near the stern. Again very quiet, with cabins above and below. A couple of days were rough weather but not noticeable at the stern. Is the 'see-saw' effect more obvious at the front? Mind you it's a big ship, so should be quite stable.

For both trips we got lucky with the P&O cabin selection, so we struck gold with Early Saver. My notes say, clean cabins, friendly staff, great food and entertainment. In fact we didn't try the Specialty Restaurants. We'll stick with E Saver on our next Arcadia trip and thrash the Ocean Grill and Sindhu. 😁 I just hope the real menus are close to the 2 sample menus mentioned earlier.

we had sindu many times on azura in 2012 then again on 2019. Always lovely and worth the money but sometimes you can get discounts going on the first night which is a bonus. 

13 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

we had sindu many times on azura in 2012 then again on 2019. Always lovely and worth the money but sometimes you can get discounts going on the first night which is a bonus. 

Yes we do like curries at home and quite partial to Morrison's OB Jalfrezi and Madras, with chicken and veg. Seems to get smoother after a couple of  days in the fridge 😋. We must try the Sindhu. Some say the menu does not change much but the sample menu here, gives 6 starters and 8 mains. I'll be more than happy to try something different every visit :-

https://www.pocruises.com/onboard-activities/dining/sindhu

3 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yes we do like curries at home and quite partial to Morrison's OB Jalfrezi and Madras, with chicken and veg. Seems to get smoother after a couple of  days in the fridge 😋. We must try the Sindhu. Some say the menu does not change much but the sample menu here, gives 6 starters and 8 mains. I'll be more than happy to try something different every visit :-

If you are expecting a standard curry, then Sindhu will disappoint. It is much more subtle than a standard curry,  with quality and delicacy being more important than big flavours and quantity.  

6 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

If you are used to supermarket Indian meals, then IMO you will find Sindhu bland and tasteless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you are used to supermarket Indian meals, then IMO you will find Sindhu bland and tasteless.

John, I was trying to make the same point, but you made it more succinctly! 

I’m confused I like the butter chicken one from Morrison’s but I always really like sindhu 

I didn’t find it bland. My hubby didn’t think his was spicy enough but he puts chilli flakes onto everything he gets so I don’t count his opinion. 

the menus change half way through the cruises so we go at beginning and then end

must admit I did wonder why the lady was fetching us a mint and then putting hot water on it! Didn’t have a clue till that time and I had forgotten when I came back last year. Maybe I’m the only fool who thought “what is that” 

also there are things on there like the soft shell crab that I don’t believe you would find in Morrison’s. I might be incorrect though. 

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Can’t say that I find it all bland and tasteless, other than the lentil slop thing and other sundries that come with the main courses, but I much prefer a proper curry than the stuff they serve in Sindhu. I’ve never been a fan of fusion cooking. If I fancy an Indian meal I want a proper curry, not something designed to suit British tastes. Having dined in all the Sindhu’s across the fleet with family and friends, I always find that those who don’t usually enjoy proper curries tend to really like Sindhu whereas those of us who really enjoy a meal in an Indian restaurant are often a tad disappointed. The ambiance and service are worth the supplement though. The place that I would really like to dine on a P&O ship is the staff canteen where the Indian staff eat. I bet they have some cracking curries in there. Years ago, there was always a lovely curry on the lunch menu in the MDR every day. Now they are infrequent and even when they do appear they are often disappointing, frequently vegetarian or fish based and tiny portions. 

6 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m confused I like the butter chicken one from Morrison’s but I always really like sindhu 

I didn’t find it bland. My hubby didn’t think his was spicy enough but he puts chilli flakes onto everything he gets so I don’t count his opinion. 

the menus change half way through the cruises so we go at beginning and then end

must admit I did wonder why the lady was fetching us a mint and then putting hot water on it! Didn’t have a clue till that time and I had forgotten when I came back last year. Maybe I’m the only fool who thought “what is that” 

also there are things on there like the soft shell crab that I don’t believe you would find in Morrison’s. I might be incorrect though. 

Butter Chicken is as bland as bland gets and isn’t really a curry, so that’s why you will find Sindhu quite adventurous! 

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Can’t say that I find it all bland and tasteless, other than the lentil slop thing and other sundries that come with the main courses, but I much prefer a proper curry than the stuff they serve in Sindhu. I’ve never been a fan of fusion cooking. If I fancy an Indian meal I want a proper curry, not something designed to suit British tastes. Having dined in all the Sindhu’s across the fleet with family and friends, I always find that those who don’t usually enjoy proper curries tend to really like Sindhu whereas those of us who really enjoy a meal in an Indian restaurant are often a tad disappointed. The ambiance and service are worth the supplement though. The place that I would really like to dine on a P&O ship is the staff canteen where the Indian staff eat. I bet they have some cracking curries in there. Years ago, there was always a lovely curry on the lunch menu in the MDR every day. Now they are infrequent and even when they do appear they are often disappointing, frequently vegetarian or fish based and tiny portions. 

Without being too argumentative,  the vast majority of curry houses in the UK are Bangladeshi,  and supermarket ready meals tend to mimic the meals served in these restaurants. The curries that the British are accustomed to, are big and brash, but are not representative of the flavours that you will find if you actually est on the sub-continent. 

I would suggest that Sindhu meals are far more authentic in flavour (if not presentation) than the "Indian" meal we eat in the UK. 

If you ever did eat in the mess, you might be sorely disappointed, as it is more than likely that the curry served there would be less fiery, but more tasty, than the one served to the passengers.