No cruises on Viking website in July and August

stretchcruz

Same for river cruises. Also when I try to look on my Viking journey it says my reservation is locked. I called and asked if they were cancelling but their rep said no. It will be interesting to see what’s going on.

When they canceled May and June (we were booked for June), there was not a long gap between when they took the cruises off the website and when they made the official announcements.

One evening (can't even remember the date), anticipating moving our cruise to August, I checked the website. May and June were still listed on the website.  By the next morning when I looked again May and June had disappeared. By lunch time, people were saying that they had gotten an e-mail or a call from their TA.  We moved our cruise to August in that brief window between seeing May and June missing and the official announcement.

It would not surprise me if we hear something tomorrow (Thursday) --based on our experience with the May/June cancellations.

11 hours ago, t18c97 said:

Same for river cruises. Also when I try to look on my Viking journey it says my reservation is locked. I called and asked if they were cancelling but their rep said no. It will be interesting to see what’s going on.

MVJ is also locked today.  I have an Alaska cruise scheduled for July 2020.  

13 minutes ago, ElaynaB said:

MVJ is also locked today.  I have an Alaska cruise scheduled for July 2020.  

Yes mine too, for the July cruise - but I can still access the other cruises we have booked for December 2020 and May 2021.

12 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Since there are no cruises available on the Viking website in July and August I guess that they are all canceled?

This will likely be a monthly occurrence until a vaccine or widespread testing is available. We all love crusing so much that we have a cognitive bias of wanting to believe there is some way it will be safe to cruise prior to a vaccine being available. Sadly, the record for developing a vaccine is four years. With this on the fast track and billions of dollars going into research, we hopefully will have one in a year. And then it has to be manufactured. Oh my...

I have an independent panel of 6 medical doctors I consult for work related COVID-19 decisions. They independently and unanimously advised us to cancel our December cruise. We and Viking are in survival mode.

We also have noticed this morning our homelands cruise booked for the end of August looks like it has been cancelled too, although very disappointed maybe for the best as do not fancy being on a cruise ship until this is all under more control - whenever that might be!

1 hour ago, CHuntMD said:

New Tor's vid just came out on Viking.TV

https://viking.tv/episode/tors-corner-may

“In this video message to our guests Chairman Torstein Hagen shares some company updates and initiatives, including the extension of Viking’s temporary suspension of operations through August 31, 2020.”

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It would not surprise me if we hear something tomorrow (Thursday) --based on our experience with the May/June cancellations.

You were SO right, Peregrina !!   They seem to be doing 2 months of cancellations at a time.   That means that about end of July we could get September/October cancellations.

What took them so long to cancel?  Holding money, hoping that booked guests would cancel and take the 100% fcc instead of cash refund, or just trying to catch up with all the cancellations before dealing with a new rush of guests requesting refunds?  Everyone wants safety.  For years I always had a future cruise booked. It was nice to look forward to sailing. Now I am I in booked, have some fcc, and am looking forward to a cure or vaccine.  

18 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

What took them so long to cancel?  Holding money, hoping that booked guests would cancel and take the 100% fcc instead of cash refund, or just trying to catch up with all the cancellations before dealing with a new rush of guests requesting refunds?  Everyone wants safety.  For years I always had a future cruise booked. It was nice to look forward to sailing. Now I am I in booked, have some fcc, and am looking forward to a cure or vaccine.  

As someone said, they were likely not trying to ruin/frustrate people but instead trying to "flatten the curve" and not get overwhelmed by so many cancellations at one time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I have an independent panel of 6 medical doctors I consult for work related COVID-19 decisions. They independently and unanimously advised us to cancel our December cruise. We and Viking are in survival mode.

Interesting feedback. Out of curiosity where was your cruise to take place?  I ask because I wonder if the feedback was based on travel area or more to the act of cruising. 

CCWineLover - I would agree with your assessment. Viking is class act. When we feel comfortable to sail again, there are multiple lines we will not consider. Viking will remain on our list with very few others m

Edited by Vineyard View

Viking has cancelled all cruises through 8/31/20.  Our ta notified us; we opted for 100% cash refund which will take 60 days.  Viking did the right thing.  We opted for the cash because who knows when we will be able to go again?  This pandemic is not going away so soon and a vaccine is not happening for months and months.  I fear many places In the states are opening too soon.  I fully understand the anxieties, but I’m very concerned there is going to be a relapse across many areas.  
‘hopefully we’ll be able to sail away with them again in a year or two.

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Interesting feedback. Out of curiosity where was your cruise to take place?  I ask because I wonder if the feedback was based on travel area or more to the act of cruising. 

The details of the cruise were not discussed so it was not a factor. The physicians simply said “You can not go.” They could not see a way to travel safely on a ship before availability of a vaccine or widespread testing. It’s a bummer. This is our third cruise cancellation in a row after 36 without a single cancellation. I am looking for December 2021.

As expected my Viking Ocean cruise (7/26) was cancelled today. I had this same cruise booked in 2019 but was "bumped" when Viking said they were overbooked. That cruise also included airfare. As a result I was offered a certain dollar credit and a future cruise where I would be given a suite. This was then booked for late July 2020. Now I was told that when this cruise was cancelled I would be offered 125% future cruise credit but no airfare and no suite. As a result, booking the same cruise next year will cost me $9000 over and above my credit for their lowest level cabin. Not happy and not impressed .  I take 2 or more cruises a year and i think they have just lost my  future business.☹️

Edited by firstforty2012

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Suggest contacting the great people at Tellus and ask the question why they won't honour the promised upgrades.

tellus@vikingcruises.com

Just remember that they are very, very busy right now and it may take them longer than normal to get back to you. But do be patient as they are ones to talk to in a situation like this.

• Like 1