HAL announces crew repatriation plan

IPB4IGO

For those wanting a summary of the ships involved without reading the entire blog:

ASIA:

• Maasdam, Noordam and Westerdam are en route to the Philippines.
  • Westerdam will continue onto Indonesia.
  • Eurodam and Amsterdam are in the Manila Bay area in the Philippines.
  • Nieuw Amsterdam, Volendam, Rotterdam, Zuiderdam and Veendam are transiting to Asia via ports in southern Africa.

AMERICAS AND THE CARIBBEAN:

• Koningsdam is at anchor at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where efforts are underway to secure transportation home for a number of teammates.
  • Oosterdam is at anchor at La Paz, Mexico, in minimum operating manning and will move closer to Panama in the coming days.

EUROPE:

• Zaandam and Nieuw Statendam have brought several crew home to Europe and are at anchor in Scheveningen, the Netherlands, under minimum operating manning.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's almost June and a lot of the crew still aren't home.  I wonder how many of them will come back to work when we're cruising again?

The Westerdam is already in Manila Bay. Some of the crew from the Amsterdam have already departed for home, all males. Female Filipinos still onboard. But it looks like the end is close as Theresa, DRM Wine Steward just got notified that she is now on the list of those who have tested negative. But her friends haven’t. Josephine DRM receptionist is still waiting.

A friend on the Koningsdam has posted that the Koningsdam has been gathering crew from a variety of ships of the same nationality so that they can fly home to their countries. They tried to repatriate the Peruvians, but their country won’t let them in. The ship is anchored in Puerto Vallarta Bay. Docks when they repatriate crew.

• Like 3

Thanks for this information.  What a nightmare for those crew still aboard, who await notification of returning home.  When we return to cruising again, which I hope will be our December Panama cruise, my son and I will have a much greater appreciation for HAL's wonderful crew. 

In a Zoom meeting the other day, my principal asked us teachers what we'd learned since March 13th during our enforced quarantine.  I said one word, "Patience."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

In a Zoom meeting the other day, my principal asked us teachers what we'd learned since March 13th during our enforced quarantine.  I said one word, "Patience."

As a retired teacher, "patience" was a word that I fortunately seemed to have in my vocabulary when I began my career.  Patience with both students and my fellow colleagues often were required.

How would you like to be in the regular (daily/weekly) meetings when discussing all of this. Getting them home is a big chore. Then, someone at sometime has to be the instigator to get the crew members back to whatever ship is appropriate. Not a full ship? Then not a full crew complement. When will that decision be made and who is in charge of communication to all the crew members. Some, I guess, might just say, "No thank you! I have something here at home."

Jim

this is so sad! I don't see anything about this on any of the news shows etc. Many of these devoted crew members don't have an option of working somewhere else, they also have families depending on their income. People who have not cruised have no idea how many people in the cruise industry can't apply for unemployment or hold a cardboard sign for help at our stop lights.😢

• Like 1