Please pay your tips!

cruisemom67

13 hours ago, sanger727 said:

A gift is something you give to friends or family where you know them and can somewhat anticipate what they would like. Even if they don't like it, the relationship has significance so "'it's the thought that counts". You don't have a relationship with these people you a buying a "gift" for. You want to give additional compensation to people who make your vacation special. That is a tip. Cash is appropriate for tips. 

Really good post. I keep in touch with dozens of crew members I have become friends with over the years. All of them will say their three favorite “gifts” are cash, cash and cash. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 3

On 6/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just seems like a strange time for a tipping thread given the fact that nobody is cruising and therefore, tipping and/or removing them.  I actually had to double check the date of this post to make sure it wasn't one that bubbled up from a year ago.  

I get being busy, but maybe the timing of this thread would work better when cruising actually resumes.

I see lots of threads about issues other than the shut down and matters related to that.  I don't think it's right to judge the timing of a post or the motivation of the poster, or for that matter, dictating what should or should not be discussed now or at any other time.  I get the impression that frequent posters here think they have a right to run the boards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

I see lots of threads about issues other than the shut down and matters related to that.  I don't think it's right to judge the timing of a post or the motivation of the poster, or for that matter, dictating what should or should not be discussed now or at any other time.  I get the impression that frequent posters here think they have a right to run the boards. 

Respect that opinion. My point was more about the fact that nobody is cruising right now so a reminder about tipping could be long forgotten by the time it resumes. I have no intention of ever trying to control a board as indicated by my post history nor was I judging. Just adding to the conversation like you and others. Thank you. 

• Like 1

It is ridiculous to say that gifts are only for friends & family, people you know, not for crew members. I know for a fact that many crew members enjoy getting gifts, other than just cash. Why? Because they are kind people who are appreciative when a practical stranger would think highly enough of them to give them a gift. Many people who do it are bringing gifts with them long before ever meeting their cabin steward (or anyone else they might give a gift to). Boy, they must be terrible people to bring a gift along on their vacation with the intent of giving it to a person they've never met. Of course crew members love cash. Cash is king, as they say, and they often send it back home to their families. That doesn't mean they don't enjoy and appreciate getting other kinds of gifts as well. It's pathetic to put someone down for doing it.

To skridge, you're all fired up because you believe too many people pull their tips. You call them names and put them down in defense of the hard working crew. You're right about one thing...those crew members bust their butts. But the fact of the matter is, if pulling tips was so rampant, as you and others claim, they wouldn't be making the money that they do. Yes, they could be making more in tips, but the fact that they make what they do tells me that it isn't as big of a problem as you think it is.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:33 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just seems like a strange time for a tipping thread given the fact that nobody is cruising and therefore, tipping and/or removing them.  I actually had to double check the date of this post to make sure it wasn't one that bubbled up from a year ago.  

I get being busy, but maybe the timing of this thread would work better when cruising actually resumes.

40 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Respect that opinion. My point was more about the fact that nobody is cruising right now so a reminder about tipping could be long forgotten by the time it resumes. I have no intention of ever trying to control a board as indicated by my post history nor was I judging. Just adding to the conversation like you and others. Thank you. 

Just because cruising is suspended doesn't mean we can't still talk about it. There are plenty of people who have cruises booked a long time from now. Long after the shutdown ends. Many of them have questions or want to talk about their future cruise. Besides, we're here because we all share a common interest and we should still be able talk about cruising in general, regardless of the current situation. Personally, I was sick of all the COVID-19 talk, all the doom & gloom, all the drastic speculations that didn't mean anything. I thoroughly enjoy coming to CC, but it just wasn't fun. I'm glad to see some typical cruise talk finally bubble up to the surface after 2 1/2 months. On a side note, you referred to this thread as a "reminder" about tipping. No one should be reminding others to tip because it's none of their business. Unfortunately, it's just an example of how some people pay way too much attention to how others cruise.

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I know  cruising is suspended doesn't mean we can't still talk about it. There are plenty of people who have cruises booked a long time from now. Long after the shutdown ends. Many of them have questions or want to talk about their future cruise. Besides, we're here because we all share a common interest and we should still be able talk about cruising in general, regardless of the current situation. Personally, I was sick of all the COVID-19 talk, all the doom & gloom, all the drastic speculations that didn't mean anything. I thoroughly enjoy coming to CC, but it just wasn't fun. I'm glad to see some typical cruise talk finally bubble up to the surface after 2 1/2 months. On a side note, you referred to this thread as a "reminder" about tipping. No one should be reminding others to tip because it's none of their business. Unfortunately, it's just an example of how some people pay way too much attention to how others cruise.

Well I agree, actually.  I will concede that it is  nice to have a topic about cruising for a change.

Regarding reminding people to tip...that wasn't my purpose.  It was what I thought the purpose of this thread was...to offer a reminder or encouragement to tip. So maybe that comment is meant for the OP?  IDK...point is, we agree.

OP, I retract my comments about the timing of your thread.  I meant no offense.  Perhaps I was cranky because I miss cruising.  😊

Be well, everyone!

The crew members live in very tiny cabins for many months at a time.  Cash tips are the most appropriate "gift."  Can you imagine if everyone brought them trinkets?  There would be no room.  I wouldn't go to a restaurant and leave the waitress a trinket.  LOL.  Anyway, I know some people love doing it.  If I lived on a ship, I would prefer cash with the extremely limited space.

• Like 1