Please pay your tips!

cruisemom67

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I  have been cruising for over 25 years.  Not only do I NOT take the tip off the bill, like some people do, but at the end of each cruise, I always give out cash to the staff that took good care of me/us while on the ship!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cruisemom67 said:

These people were excellent at what they did. Even if they weren't, they should still get tips.  That is what they live on.  They don't make money other than that.

I cringe when someone tells me I need to tip good, even if the service is bad. In the case of cruises, we pre-pay our gratuities and leave them be because they're divided among so many different crew members. But I have no problem reducing a server's tip in a restaurant if their service is bad. A tip is meant to be a reward for good service. Somewhere along the line, it got twisted into practically a mandatory thing. Yes, there are jerks out there who pull their tips on a cruise just to be cheap or mean spirited, but I believe people like that are in the minority.

7 hours ago, cruisemom67 said:

No, I am not joking.  Most of the time, they do get paid.  In tips.  They had one week where they sailed out of New York, and it was a cruise where somehow everyone thought they didn't need to pay tips.  They did not get paid that week.

Let's set the record straight. Those crew members are paid a wage, and a very good one at that relative to their home countries. Sure, it's low compared to many American wages, but that's not a fair comparison because the economies in their home countries are different. In a majority of cases, they'll make more on a cruise ship than they ever could back home, and that's with just their base wages, not including gratuities. That's why many of them are willing to spend several months at sea, away from home, family & friends. Because, for them, the money is very good. I don't know where you got the idea that tips are their only source of income, but you're wrong and you shouldn't spread misinformation like that.

Like several others have said, you were fed a load of baloney. I don't believe for one second that everyone on that cruise pulled their tips. And if they're the one who told you they made zero pay without tips, they're lying. It's inappropriate and completely unprofessional.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, beshears said:

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I  have been cruising for over 25 years.  Not only do I NOT take the tip off the bill, like some people do, but at the end of each cruise, I always give out cash to the staff that took good care of me/us while on the ship!

This will be my first cruise, but I added gratuity on to the fare because I dont want to get a big bill at the end and I wanted to get the majority of the cost of the cruise paid for before I actually even step on board.   But I have always been a generous tipper.    Especially now knowing that so many wait staff went months without tips while in house dining was suspended for COVID.   With that being said, I intend to leave the auto tip thing alone... but.... I also intend on bringing a few Texas themed gifts for my room steward and the waiter for the MDR.  I was thinking some BBQ sauce ... maybe some Buccees products.    I keep getting conflicting stories about if the prepaid gratuities include the porters, but I had planned on slipping them something a little extra too anyway.   

• Like 1

I hear a lot of talk about locations that are good tippers, and some that a miserly. I hear that some types of people have earned a reputation for being thrifty, and others are more generous. What I cannot understand is a person at the guest services desk asking for a few hundred back after they have been treated like royalty for a week. I know a lot of people in tipped positions. they get paid little more than gas money from the company, but can earn a very livable income from tips. They tell me that people who have the most sometimes tip the least. A bar full of doctors feel that coins are enough, whereas farmers are sure to tip 20% or more. 

Just pay a reasonable tip. It is small money to you, but it is a comfort for families in parts of the world that suffer poverty daily.   

• Like 1

Hi Cruisemom67

Just want to throw this out there for you. It is not unheard of to see people who receive tips as a significant component of their salary to tell a tale. They are not trying to lie. They just see a sympathetic person, who is very pleasant, who also may be induced to dig a little deeper and give "just a little more", and this makes up for those that don't give. 

The sob story, whether real or not works with enough people that it has been employed for centuries. Whether it is a panhandler, or a waiter, over time it works. One of the main reasons it works, is because giving (especially directly to a person) makes the giver feel good. 

• Like 1

We always prepay our grats when we finish paying off the balance on our cruises.  Have never removed grats.  I do have a very well-to-do friend who never pays grats when they cruise- family of 6!!  He always goes to guest services to remove them.  I have tried to explain that the crew is paid a very minimal wage, and tips help them a lot.  Drives me crazy when he "gloats" about how much money he is saving for 6 people.  

7 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I cringe when someone tells me I need to tip good, even if the service is bad. In the case of cruises, we pre-pay our gratuities and leave them be because they're divided among so many different crew members. But I have no problem reducing a server's tip in a restaurant if their service is bad. A tip is meant to be a reward for good service. Somewhere along the line, it got twisted into practically a mandatory thing. Yes, there are jerks out there who pull their tips on a cruise just to be cheap or mean spirited, but I believe people like that are in the minority.

Let's set the record straight. Those crew members are paid a wage, and a very good one at that relative to their home countries. Sure, it's low compared to many American wages, but that's not a fair comparison because the economies in their home countries are different. In a majority of cases, they'll make more on a cruise ship than they ever could back home, and that's with just their base wages, not including gratuities. That's why many of them are willing to spend several months at sea, away from home, family & friends. Because, for them, the money is very good. I don't know where you got the idea that tips are their only source of income, but you're wrong and you shouldn't spread misinformation like that.

Like several others have said, you were fed a load of baloney. I don't believe for one second that everyone on that cruise pulled their tips. And if they're the one who told you they made zero pay without tips, they're lying. It's inappropriate and completely unprofessional.

Well said Organized Chaos. I agree with everything you've said!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oldpeoplecruising said:

This will be my first cruise, but I added gratuity on to the fare because I dont want to get a big bill at the end and I wanted to get the majority of the cost of the cruise paid for before I actually even step on board.   But I have always been a generous tipper.    Especially now knowing that so many wait staff went months without tips while in house dining was suspended for COVID.   With that being said, I intend to leave the auto tip thing alone... but.... I also intend on bringing a few Texas themed gifts for my room steward and the waiter for the MDR.  I was thinking some BBQ sauce ... maybe some Buccees products.    I keep getting conflicting stories about if the prepaid gratuities include the porters, but I had planned on slipping them something a little extra too anyway.   

The prepaid gratuities cover your room steward and the dining staff. The porters that take your luggage are not employed by the cruise line and should be tipped separately. 

With regard to extra gifts, please remember that the crew quarters are much smaller than a regular cabin. While good intentioned, if you wish to give your room steward or dining room waiter anything additional, it is best to stick with pieces of green paper with dead US presidents on it. While the crew won't say anything to you if you gift them anything else, there is a strong chance other items will end up in a behind the scenes trash bin. Though if you wanted to gift them some food stuff (candies, etc), that will be appreciated. But should be in addition to any additional cash gift you might wish to give them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm planning on paying my auto gratuities with my OBC once onboard.  Can I tell Guest Services on Embarkation Day or does it wait till the end of the cruise?  TIA!

You don't have to do anything. It'll take care of itself. When I have a lot of OBC I let it cover autograts.

• Like 1

I too find it hard to believe that every guest they waited on removed the auto tips; however for those saying that crewmembers are paid at minimum wage, I'm pretty sure that is not the case. 

Years ago I was a purser/paymaster onboard.  At that time cabin stewards and waiters were paid $45 on the 15th and 30th of every month - $90 per month for well over 300 hours work.  I'm not sure exactly what they are paid now, but I can almost guarantee that is far, far lower than the minimum wage in the U.S.  I'm not sure what the minimum wage was at that time (mid 1980's) but I know that it was far higher than less than 30 cents per hour that they were being paid.

First let me say, leave your tips alone.  It is a small price to pay for the service received on a cruise.  But to the OP, did it ever cross your mind they were just playing with your emotions so you would tip them more?  Not getting any pay for a week is total nonsense.  They may not have gotten what they normally get or deserved but they did get paid something.   I also find it hard to believe that 3000 people all decided not to tip on the same cruise.  Seems impossible to me that at least 1 person didn't tip.  But anyway, I agree with the sentiment of your post, TIP these workers!  But I am not buying their story either. 

• Like 1

So, First of all I worked onboard one of the top 3 cruise companies in the world for almost 5 years. Every person working onboard has a set contract amount that they are paid every month. I left ships in 2007 and can tell you the gratuity that is charged to your sail and sign account daily pay everyone's contracts. The staff get paid the exact amount every month regardless on who removes tips from there account. 

Now some will receive additional tips in cash but i promise you, nobody ever works a cruise for free.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

So, First of all I worked onboard one of the top 3 cruise companies in the world for almost 5 years. Every person working onboard has a set contract amount that they are paid every month. I left ships in 2007 and can tell you the gratuity that is charged to your sail and sign account daily pay everyone's contracts. The staff get paid the exact amount every month regardless on who removes tips from there account. 

Now some will receive additional tips in cash but i promise you, nobody ever works a cruise for free.

So there's no fluctuation in the pay amount that these workers listed on Carnival's site receive:

"100% of your gratuities are distributed to the crew who you interact with, such as your stateroom attendants, dining and culinary services staff, as well as others who work behind the scenes to enhance your overall cruise experience."

I thought there would be a separate pay amount indicated on their checks for auto gratuities that change weekly with the amount received in auto gratuities. Thanks for your insight!

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm planning on paying my auto gratuities with my OBC once onboard.  Can I tell Guest Services on Embarkation Day or does it wait till the end of the cruise?  TIA!

They will charge your OBC daily.  They don't take it in one lump sum. However,  if you are using cash on your OBC instead of a cc, make sure you allow enough to cover your tips.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom67 said:

REMOVING ALL GRATUITIES.  I don't expect people to pay extra.  They can if they want.  We chose to because they had to work harder for us (daughters had to order the night before, had special meals due to allergies).  You know what they "suggest" before you go.  If everyone did what was "suggested" the workers would be fine.  

I remember the "old days" when you would have to save enough cash to give each worker on the last night.  I also remember people spending too much and not having that cash.  That is why they added them to your account.  We always had an extra envelope of cash that we wouldn't get into as that was reserved for tips.  

I was just curious. We never have removed our gratuities. But we normally tip extra to our cabin steward and wait staff when having set dining. 

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

While good intentioned, if you wish to give your room steward or dining room waiter anything additional, it is best to stick with pieces of green paper with dead US presidents on it. While the crew won't say anything to you if you gift them anything else, there is a strong chance other items will end up in a behind the scenes trash bin. Though if you wanted to gift them some food stuff (candies, etc), that will be appreciated. But should be in addition to any additional cash gift you might wish to give them. 

Well, I have already prepaid gratuities to the staff when I prepaid with with my fare.  So they are getting tipped.    What I am giving as a gift outside of that is just that... a gift.   What they choose to do with it isnt my business.   Just like I would never tell someone I didnt like a gift they gave me.   Even if I dont like what I was given.... I am always extremely grateful that someone thought enough about me to get me something at all.    I think it is rather unbecoming that you suggested that I only give additional cash  aside from what I already tipped in the prepaid and maybe some candy.     I find that just as distasteful as a bride and groom asking for cash gifts.  In general that is poor etiquette.    

5 hours ago, wareaglefan444 said:

I didnt really know taking away your tips was a thing, learn something new everyday

Maybe these tipping threads have a bad effect and teaches people things they should not know. 

Like I said earlier - Everyone here pays their tips with extras, so no reason to beat the horse again and again. 

Interesting.  I have been on 18 cruises and never has any of the staff discussed tips with me.  Not how much they receive, how much they have been ripped off, how much they did or didn't make.  I wonder how they pick guests that they share their details with?

4 hours ago, wolft927 said:

So if you leave the auto gratuities in place, you are only reimbursing the cruise line for what they pay their crew?

we remove the tips and tip as we go.  We always have excellent service especially when they find out we are cash tippers!

3 hours ago, Oldpeoplecruising said:

Well, I have already prepaid gratuities to the staff when I prepaid with with my fare.  So they are getting tipped.    What I am giving as a gift outside of that is just that... a gift.   What they choose to do with it isnt my business.   Just like I would never tell someone I didnt like a gift they gave me.   Even if I dont like what I was given.... I am always extremely grateful that someone thought enough about me to get me something at all.    I think it is rather unbecoming that you suggested that I only give additional cash  aside from what I already tipped in the prepaid and maybe some candy.     I find that just as distasteful as a bride and groom asking for cash gifts.  In general that is poor etiquette.    

The tipping extra vs gift conversation has been brought up here multiple times and people fall on both sides of it. I think a majority fall on the side of tipping extra in cash rather than a gift. I think the poster was just pointing that out. This is not a gift to a friend/family member situation, this is compensation for an employee providing service. Cash is ALWAYS acceptable. Gifts should be accepted gracefully but understand that since you don't know anything about the person receiving the gift, they may not may not appreciate it. Cash is always appreciated. 

How I look at it is from the employees side. Say are providing service to say 10 groups of people a cruise, new group every week, for 12 weeks. Given the choice between getting an extra $10 from each group vs a bottle of BBQ sauce or a t-shirt. I would rather have $1200 than 120 trinkets and gifts. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 6

what the OP described has no doubt occurred in their previous cruise experience, but as others have said, they have never had such details provided by their wait staff, nor have I, but admitted, my cruise experience is limited to 10 cruises.  So not saying it didnt happen to the OP or others, but having happened to them, I find it very unprofessional of wait staff to offer this info, and have always had very professional wait staff on Carnival and other cruise lines as well.  There are always some not so good apples in the barrel, no matter where, so this is what OP has experienced.  Good service from the wait staff, but also an unnecessary mention of some who remove tips making OP feel bad for them, and just doesnt seem right for wait staff to share that kind of info regardless of how true or not.   Just my own humble opinion of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

So if you leave the auto gratuities in place, you are only reimbursing the cruise line for what they pay their crew?

This is what I was asking.  Seems to me that this is what is taking place. @wolft927since you worked in the industry, maybe you could expound on this...