Returning to normal?

bay guy

Perhaps a sign of some degree of normalcy returning to the cruise industry. One of the three NCL ships, which have been temporarily berthed in Norfolk, VA, left the port this morning.

• Like 4

Perhaps ... but a bigger picture being not.  We can all hope, dream and wish.

All 3 Norwegian ships at VA: Spirit, Encore and Bliss are currently out at sea ... according to AIS data posted on Marinetraffic site, they are just exercising sea legs, doing donuts and figure 8 loops, probably to discharge processed fish food, run their water plants and engines to keep things smoothly.  Scheduled ETA back to VA port in 3 days, not going anywhere.  Of course, AIS data aren't always filed accurately.  

CDC's No Sail Order still in effect and criselines still working on getting their plans approved to resume.  New Covid-19 cases reported are rising faster than ever on a worldwide scale and here in the US, especially in the south & mid-west/Gulf states.  US-CDC issued cautions, changed guidelines again about wearing masks, and updated the death toll predictions based on modeling trends - sadly, another 20,000+ Americans will died from Covid-19 before the end of this month (not August).  I hope not and nobody wants to see the boomerang effects.  

I wish things to be evolving differently  ... otherwise.  It is nice to see this mini flotilla out in the mid-Atlantic: Spirit out front, Encore in middle followed by the Bliss (live webcam view).  

Screenshot_20200605-140417[1].png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

I posted this yesterday, but......If judging by my trip to town today here in middle Tennessee, then it is all over, virus gone....at least until the second wave hits.  Traffic was back to pre virus and beyond.  Restaurant parking lots packed.  In Sam's Club, by my guesstimate, only 1 in 15 customers were wearing a mask still.  Had to go in jewelry store.  Not a mask to be seen, customers and clerks hanging all over each other.   Me with the only mask.  Felt like I was in there to rob the place.  

The cruise line stocks are way up today, along with the rest of the market though.  RCL is up over $10.  So I guess someone thinks things are changing.  However, I read stock forecast yesterday that lowered the ratings on the cruise lines down pretty low, saying they have a huge bunch of stuff ahead of them before cruising can ever return to something near normal.  He said their crushing debt load will get them long before enough profit returns to pay their way out.  His opinion of course.  

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

I posted this yesterday, but......If judging by my trip to town today here in middle Tennessee, then it is all over, virus gone....at least until the second wave hits.  Traffic was back to pre virus and beyond.  Restaurant parking lots packed.  In Sam's Club, by my guesstimate, only 1 in 15 customers were wearing a mask still.  Had to go in jewelry store.  Not a mask to be seen, customers and clerks hanging all over each other.   Me with the only mask.  Felt like I was in there to rob the place.  

The cruise line stocks are way up today, along with the rest of the market though.  RCL is up over $10.  So I guess someone thinks things are changing.  However, I read stock forecast yesterday that lowered the ratings on the cruise lines down pretty low, saying they have a huge bunch of stuff ahead of them before cruising can ever return to something near normal.  He said their crushing debt load will get them long before enough profit returns to pay their way out.  His opinion of course.  

Same in our area.  Many people are still wearing masks but it's traffic and business as usual.  I think many people are just not afraid anymore because they feel like they know more about how to protect themselves than they did in the beginning.  Right or wrong...

I had a hair appointment today.  My first since January.  We wore masks and there were only a few people in the salon...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

The Johns Hopkins COVID 19 charts show new cases in Tennessee as currently spiking, with an all-time high on June 3.  Keep that mask on - we don't want to lose any cruise fans.  

• Like 1

I'm from Minnesota. Have been very careful with limited shopping trips, wearing my mask and wipes in the car. We continue to see new cases daily and average high 20 to 30 deaths per day - primarily in the Mpls/St. Paul area. I found it frustrating to watch all of the marchers out not practicing social distancing and many without masks. What I found even worse was a large memorial with many in attendance while we currently have a limit of 20 for gatherings. No funerals, no weddings, no graduations and restaurants only open for outside dining. I am tired of staying home too, but I predict a large spike in cases in the next couple of weeks. I understand those feeling the need to protest, but it's as if we are not in the middle of a health crisis.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Same in our area.  Many people are still wearing masks but it's traffic and business as usual.  I think many people are just not afraid anymore because they feel like they know more about how to protect themselves than they did in the beginning.  Right or wrong...

I had a hair appointment today.  My first since January.  We wore masks and there were only a few people in the salon...

Yea.  My wife had her first hair appointment to day since this all began.   She is giddy!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, roger001 said:

Yea.  My wife had her first hair appointment to day since this all began.   She is giddy!   

Here, in NYC, I think, at best, I'll have another month with long grey hair.  And that's only if there isn't a new spike in cases thanks to the protesters. 

But, as far as cruising....while you won't catch me on a ship in the near future I am closely following so I can base my future bookings wisely (just had an MSC 9/2021 cruise out of NYC canceled).  Until something sails from NYC and returns as scheduled I won't give any cruise line another penny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

(just had an MSC 9/2021 cruise out of NYC canceled).  Until something sails from NYC and returns as scheduled I won't give any cruise line another penny.

Cancelled September of 2021?

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

Cancelled September of 2021?

Yes...2021.  It was a 9 day trip to Boston, Portland and Bermuda.

Gonna quote "Jaws":

".....just when you thought it was safe to go into the water...."

I don't know if they want to avoid potential NYC issues or they are just overhauling all the routes.  They had already canceled all 2020 sailings out of NYC (one of which I was booked for)...and now all 2021 NYC sailings.

MSC is my, by far, favorite line (although the reviews are very negative...but I sailed on it despite the negativity....and loved every minute).

• Thanks 1

TabbyKats, I think that MSC is realigning their fleet, which is why selected itineraries/ships have been cancelled in 2021.  We have a Nov 2020 cruise on the Seaside.  So far, not cancelled.  (But then again, my Canada/New England NCL Sept cruise hasn't been cancelled, either, even though Canada has said no thanks until at lease 31 Oct.)

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines reposition everything once cruising resumes, as there will be issues with available ports, employees, cruiser's appetite for cruising in this brave new world we are currently living in, etc.

I have my fingers crossed that we can get it all sorted out sooner rather than later!  Well, I actually have more than crossed fingers....a lot of prayers!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

TabbyKats, I think that MSC is realigning their fleet, which is why selected itineraries/ships have been cancelled in 2021.  We have a Nov 2020 cruise on the Seaside.  So far, not cancelled.  (But then again, my Canada/New England NCL Sept cruise hasn't been cancelled, either, even though Canada has said no thanks until at lease 31 Oct.)

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines reposition everything once cruising resumes, as there will be issues with available ports, employees, cruiser's appetite for cruising in this brave new world we are currently living in, etc.

I have my fingers crossed that we can get it all sorted out sooner rather than later!  Well, I actually have more than crossed fingers....a lot of prayers!

I'm with you on the prayers.  

Seriously, I told my husband to pinch me and wake me up from this nightmare (NYC nightmare...in addition to cruising nightmare).

As soon as I book anything, I'm booking "splurge".  Who knows....Haven?  Overpriced massages?  Overpriced jewelry?

On 6/5/2020 at 4:25 PM, vswan said:

I'm from Minnesota. Have been very careful with limited shopping trips, wearing my mask and wipes in the car. We continue to see new cases daily and average high 20 to 30 deaths per day - primarily in the Mpls/St. Paul area. I found it frustrating to watch all of the marchers out not practicing social distancing and many without masks. What I found even worse was a large memorial with many in attendance while we currently have a limit of 20 for gatherings. No funerals, no weddings, no graduations and restaurants only open for outside dining. I am tired of staying home too, but I predict a large spike in cases in the next couple of weeks. I understand those feeling the need to protest, but it's as if we are not in the middle of a health crisis.

And  in Tennessee, 631 new cases today, 500+ new cases yesterday, virus is spreading in our state (yes...I know more people are getting tested...or maybe they are).   I was at our Publix this morning.  Other than the store employees wearing masks, myself and maybe two other shoppers had them.  Two weeks ago practically everyone did.  It's like it is all over....but it is not.   And until it is, cruising just isn't going to happen....not in any fun  way anyhow.