Italy Open?

Tropicalpunch

40 minutes ago, crazyank said:

This is not correct. Both countries have announced arrivals by sea are allowed.

Ferry traffic is allowed... But I haven´t read anything about cruise ships yet. If you do have a source please post it. According to the website of the Auswärtiges Amt cruises are still not allowed in Italy ("Der Betrieb italienischer Passagier-/Kreuzfahrtschiffe ist ausgesetzt. Das Anlegen sowie der nichtoperative Aufenthalt von unter ausländischer Flagge fahrenden Passagier-/ Kreuzfahrtschiffen in italienischen Häfen wurden verboten."). I haven´t seen any reopening dates yet.

The first cruise ships doing "international" cruises are Ponant. Ships are supposed to start by July 4th out of French ports going to Italian, Spanish and British (Scilly Islands) ports. So far those cruises can be only booked by French people.

SeaDream is offering cruises out of Norway with Norwegian ports only for Norwegians...

steamboats

Thanks for everyone"s reply.  Our trip is in October, leaving from Venice and ending in Barcelona with extensions in both cities.  Viking has not cancelled this cruise yet and I wouldn't expect them to until the last minute.  I can't imagine European cities letting Americans in due to our out of control Virus.  And it's not getting better!  A Viking search said they were not sailing until August 1st.  Their sailing date has been pushed forward 3 times.  If we cancel, I want to get the best deal for our money.  This was an expensive cruise.  

45 minutes ago, Tropicalpunch said:

I can't imagine European cities letting Americans in

That is one of the reasons why I mentioned nationality.  Inter EU travel is in the process of opening up again and should be going well by October.  As to cruising, I hope, but doubt that non EU nationals will be cruising in EU waters before 2021.

(Fully aware that this may lead to reciprocal situation in the never ending tit for tat diplomatic(!) world).

Viking (because it's a "River Cruise"-Ship with relativly few passengers might be allowed to operate earlier than the big cruisers (as in my country for example, events with more then 300 people are not allowed till at least end of August).

And people from the EU might travel with them as soon as they are running.

But travellers from abroad (USA) might not; nobody know when borders for Non-EU-Citizen might open (and then the first people might have to go in to quaranten) without restriction.

I would not cancel by yourself, but wait till the last minute, when Vikings might cancel by themself as you will not be allowed to travel with them. (if you cancel by yourself you get for sure a worser deal)

11 hours ago, onyx007 said:

Viking (because it's a "River Cruise"-Ship with relativly few passengers might be allowed to operate earlier than the big cruisers (as in my country for example, events with more then 300 people are not allowed till at least end of August).

And people from the EU might travel with them as soon as they are running.

But travellers from abroad (USA) might not; nobody know when borders for Non-EU-Citizen might open (and then the first people might have to go in to quaranten) without restriction.

I would not cancel by yourself, but wait till the last minute, when Vikings might cancel by themself as you will not be allowed to travel with them. (if you cancel by yourself you get for sure a worser deal)

The Viking cruise in question here is on Viking Ocean, whose ships hold 928 passengers and 545 crew/staff.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:48 AM, Tropicalpunch said:

Thanks for everyone"s reply.  Our trip is in October, leaving from Venice and ending in Barcelona with extensions in both cities.  Viking has not cancelled this cruise yet and I wouldn't expect them to until the last minute.  I can't imagine European cities letting Americans in due to our out of control Virus.  And it's not getting better!  A Viking search said they were not sailing until August 1st.  Their sailing date has been pushed forward 3 times.  If we cancel, I want to get the best deal for our money.  This was an expensive cruise.  

The Regal Princess still has a scheduled Oct 17 cruise from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Sydney, Australia.  That cruise (which has a few segments) is still being booked although some of us have strong doubts it will ever happen.

Hank