I don't know what to do

captjohn

We are booked on the Voyager  Lisbon to Cape Town . From reading South Africa will NOT be accepting us.

So, what to do ? We would love to have a getaway like all of you. Final payment is due on our cruise on June 17. I am not interested in putting more money into a cruise that will not go. There in our eyes 2 cruises in Nov. 

1- Barcelona to Miami on the Splendor 

2- R/T Miami to Manaus 

The real question is -- which one do you guys think will really go?

We are cruising R/T Bellingham in Sept. on a charter . I will be the Capt. and Christina will be the cruise director . Hi TC2

NWE_PDP_Eldean1_LgSliderImage_820x450px-1.jpeg.366335fdfc351a414ea186913cdf73b1.jpeg

The Barcelona Cruise seems like the more likely to sail. I cannot imagine that there will be any cruises visiting Brazil for quite some time. That said, and it is just my opinion, I will be surprised if there are Regent ships sailing in November. I realize I may be in the minority, but that is my opinion. I certainly can accept that I may be totally wrong. Time will tell.

While I do believe that cruises will be sailing in November, I just looked the Amazon and it is a hot spot right now.  Having said that, I’m sure that you remember what was going on in NYC just a couple of months ago (and Italy as well).  Things change quite dramatically from month to month.  

It is so difficult to make a prediction.   At this point in time, I agree that Barcelona to Miami is most likely to sail in November.  

In terms of paying off a cruise that will almost certainly be cancelled by Regent, you can take advantage of that as well.  When Regent canceled our cruise in March, we took the 125% FCC offer.  FCC’s are available fairly quickly and we were able to book a cruise that we typically would not book due to the cost (Auckland to Sydney in late January 2021).  There is no guarantee that this will sail eithr but I’m crossing my fingers and toes.  For us, taking the FCC’s was the right decision.  

You definitely have a lot to think about!

I think the 125% is offered on a particular cruise, only after REGENT cancels it.  That is what they have been doing so far, but AFIK they have not promised to continue doing it.  Probably they will, but it is not promised.

If, as you say, you don't want to put more money into a cruise that will not go, I think you've answered your own question. Cancel the cruise before final payment, get as much of your deposit back as you can, and wait for official word that cruises will resume before you book another one. That way you keep your money, not the cruise line.

No one knows what's going to happen. Cruise lines are still trying to get their crews home. Restarting will be a slow process. My recommendation is wait and then book what you know is going to sail.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, giustot said:

If, as you say, you don't want to put more money into a cruise that will not go, I think you've answered your own question. Cancel the cruise before final payment, get as much of your deposit back as you can, and wait for official word that cruises will resume before you book another one. That way you keep your money, not the cruise line.

No one knows what's going to happen. Cruise lines are still trying to get their crews home. Restarting will be a slow process. My recommendation is wait and then book what you know is going to sail.

I agree. No One knows "when", "where", "how" or even "how much". We took the 125% for a Regent-cancelled July cruise because of probably unique personal circumstances  - we want to cruise (in summer) with youngest grandchild, a teen, while we are able and he is young. Otherwise, I would have taken the cash.  I don't intend to give Regent, or any other travel company, any significant money until things are a LOT clearer.

• Like 1

We have five cruises booked from November through 2022. 
Why would I cancel any cruise? We have booked the suites we love. We have bonuses on all our cruises. 
We shall wait and see. At this point, we feel that our money is secure with Regent for another year, based on the cash they raised. 
If you are uncomfortable with our plan, make one that suits your own needs. 
Sheila and Herb

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We have five cruises booked from November through 2022. 
Why would I cancel any cruise? We have booked the suites we love. We have bonuses on all our cruises. 
We shall wait and see. At this point, we feel that our money is secure with Regent for another year, based on the cash they raised. 
If you are uncomfortable with our plan, make one that suits your own needs. 
Sheila and Herb

We only have four cruises booked but we may add another one.  We have trusted Regent with our money for years and this is no different.  Now that we have come to terms with our canceled cruise that was very disappointing for a lot of us, we look at the money (now FCC's) as a bonus.  After all, had "our" cruise sailed, the money would have been spent.  Now we have a better cruise booked (better itinerary - but not the same people that we looked forward to seeing in March) - it is paid off with FCC's plus a little extra money and we're set.  

I recognize that everyone has reasons for doing what they are doing in terms of future cruises and handling the pandemic.  

• Like 2

We too are booked on the Voyager Lisbon -> Cape Town cruise. Perhaps it will go! See South Africa’s tourism industry eyes September return. Payment is due Wednesday, but we are still undecided. I hate to plunk down $30k only to have to wait 90 days after the cruise is canceled to get it back.

We really have been looking forward to this cruise (our first Regent cruise and first cruise since the 90s with the kids). Currently, about half of the cabins are available, so social distancing should be doable!

1 hour ago, Turn 8A said:

We too are booked on the Voyager Lisbon -> Cape Town cruise. Perhaps it will go! See South Africa’s tourism industry eyes September return. Payment is due Wednesday, but we are still undecided. I hate to plunk down $30k only to have to wait 90 days after the cruise is canceled to get it back.

We really have been looking forward to this cruise (our first Regent cruise and first cruise since the 90s with the kids). Currently, about half of the cabins are available, so social distancing should be doable!

That article is interesting and shows how things can change from one day to the next (or one minute to the next).  We have done three cruises that include South Africa (love that place!).  If I remember correctly, the Lisbon to Cape Town itinerary makes several stops in Africa before reaching South Africa.  If this is the case, it is possible that many of the ports would still not be allowing passenger ships.