Negative test result required for Alaska

tiggertom

I understand that Silver Muse will commence cruising on 10 September, which is due to start in Seward. However Alaska has stated it will require a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 72 hours of arrival to Alaska. As we are travelling from the UK via Seattle, I can’t see how we will meet this requirement unless we spend our time in Seattle trying to get tested.

Any ideas how this will work?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5382/

2 hours ago, tiggertom said:

I understand that Silver Muse will commence cruising on 10 September, which is due to start in Seward. However Alaska has stated it will require a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 72 hours of arrival to Alaska. As we are travelling from the UK via Seattle, I can’t see how we will meet this requirement unless we spend our time in Seattle trying to get tested.

Quite honestly and frankly I don’t see how you can.   Long ways to go to be sent home and that is sad.   Cruise lines in general are guessing and hoping.  I don’t really think they know and frankly I can’t say given the fluid and vague situation I can totally blame them.   

I am on this cruise as well flying from Switzerland through Seattle. My SS cruise consultant told me that this cruise is likely to be cancelled. So I will wait until I know exactly what is the future of this cruise before I think about any sanitary protocol and how to fulfill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless cruise lines themselves organise this (presumably for a fee) I cannot see a way through until a vaccine is found and delivered.  As I understand it, people in the UK can only get a test if they are experiencing symptoms.  In which case you wouldn't travel anyway.  But even if you could somehow organise a test I think the chances of getting some sort of certificate from a GP is zilch.  And you wouldn't want to book a flight before you had the test.  It's just a whole new volume of Catch-22s out there as well as Covid-19s.

Because the situation in the US is far more commercial and  flexible, I guess people will start businesses in and around airports offering tests.  That's if you are able to get there.

But all this is theoretical.  I'm sure Silversea won't be sailing anywhere for months, maybe deep into 2021. 

“..... test taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in the state.”

I read that as you get the test, and results, within 72 hrs of your arrival.
Assuming you get immediate test results .. no problem.
That said... getting a written summary of test results could be another issue 🤨

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

As I understand it, people in the UK can only get a test if they are experiencing symptoms.

That presumably is free on the NHS - are there no private facilities offering PCR tests for a fee?

I ask because it is beginning to look like a 'negative test within 72 hrs of travel' may become a requirement for more destinations than Alaska.

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

That presumably is free on the NHS - are there no private facilities offering PCR tests for a fee?

Yes, a quick Google reveals a few private clinics.  They send you the kit, you do your own test, send it back, get the result within 72 hours.  Cost seems to be in the region of £250.  My wife did this sort of thing, but at the invitation of University College Hospital as part of a wide survey and her name was pulled out of the hat, so to speak.  It took a week before the result came back by email and then a letter.

Of course, the 72-hour idea is absurd as anyone can catch the virus shortly afterwards, especially if they have visited an airport or stepped aboard a plane . . . 

Edited by Fletcher

14 hours ago, tiggertom said:

I don't see this ending very well.  If you read this article ( 4th paragraph) these fisherman tested negative before boarding vessel.  Someone had it, just was still testing negative. You can test negative at noon, and then shortly thereafter be positive and shedding the virus. That "lag" time is critical.  A lot can happen in 72 hours between a negative test and boarding the ship.  If any test needs to be administered, it would be the Rutgers 15 minute test.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/american-seafood-trawler-on-lockdown-after-85-crew-members-test-positive-for-covid-19

If I were you I wouldn't worry about this until nearer the time as I think the cruise will probably be cancelled! I spent quite a bit of time trying to work out how to get a test for a holiday we had booked in April in French Polynesia as the government there were requiring a negative test no later than 48 hours before arrival. I had written to my GP and asked about private testing, all to no avail. In the end, FP closed its borders and the cruise was cancelled so it was all a complete waste of time!!

We're now supposed to be on the Muse on 10th October leaving from Hong Kong and ending in Sydney. From what I've read, Australia are saying they won't accept foreign visitors until next year so this itinerary is going to have to change and will most likely be cancelled as well. I haven't organised ANYTHING for that trip. If it does go ahead I will have a last minute panic but I think that's preferable to the hassle I've had trying to get money back from the last cancelled holiday.

New motto: Don't plan anything!! 

While medical practices in Seattle seem very willing to test their patients, I wasn't sure about people who are just passing through. I found a website for Atlas Genomics, which offers a $99 test to anyone, and says results are typically available online within 24 hours. It is self-administered, and you don't leave your car. That could work for someone who is traveling to Alaska by way of Seattle--although I have no personal knowledge of this company, so please don't consider this an endorsement!

Thanks for all your responses. Your comments about the likelihood of this cruise happening are supported by this

https://www.*****.com/2020/06/19/clia-announces-cruise-lines-will-extend-us-cruise-suspension-through-september-15

We will wait to hear from Silversea 

EDIT - try this link https://bernews.com/2020/06/clia-voluntary-suspension-of-cruise-operations/

Edited by tiggertom

I doubt this cruise will happen, but here in Oklahoma, we have drive through clinics for testing that anyone can use, and results are back in just a few hours.  I am sure they have the same in Seattle.  But like I said, I would count on the cruise not happening

Received our email advising that this cruise is cancelled. Thought this would happen but still sad to get confirmation. We will take the FCC and wait til next year to decide what to do and where to go. We are determined to try Silversea.