Live cruise replay - Radiance to Alaska - August 19-26, 2016

On the morning of day 2 I was up early and took the opportunity tp get some more pictures of Radiance while other guests were sleeping.

pW9XFp5.jpg

upXRJr7.jpg

TNwRgvU.jpg

bgDCpOq.jpg

nsz2AAT.jpg

my8rKaL.jpg

HMoCXIb.jpg

JqEPJFY.jpg

3SeNcCo.jpg

KNNFSKk.jpg

Our progress towards Hubbard Glacier.

HoLMw32.jpg

• Like 2

Starting to see some calving.

bWt9Y1s.jpg

R7Ts84F.jpg

hGQ1THT.jpg

This face of the glacier was showing signs of activity.

kbBKIJy.jpg

FLYHmgx.jpg

WLXmPkm.jpg

28FyXlu.jpg

BBMMzBa.jpg

Pictures are great but video works a lot better for calving.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

Time to go 

oSGEOmE.jpg

j11ag1w.jpg

Windjammer outdoor seating.

bwFysfo.jpg

bKXTujv.jpg

Yrr0is4.jpg

0e3nnP9.jpg

M6kfk7k.jpg

fkeVV0c.jpg

Video does a better job of letting you feel what it was like.  Sit back, relax and enjoy the calming wake view.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 4

In 2019 I was fortunate to visit Hubbard Glacier once more but aboard Ovation's first and so far only visit to Hubbard.  I must say we got a lot closer on Radiance than we did on Ovation.  

This Radiance cruise in 2018 was the last Radiance cruise of the 2018 season.  After this she headed to Hawaii and onto Australia.  I don't know if the time of year was a factor in the calving action but it was the best of any visit I've had there and with us being so close it really worked out well.  

Every time I've done a cruise with a call at Hubbard Glacier I've ended the day with the feeling that if the cruise ended right after Hubbard I wouldn't complain a bit.  Definitely worth the money and it's only day two!  We have a whole cruise yet ahead of us.

Edited by twangster

12 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Great video!

Thanks.

The thing of it is, and you already know what I'm about to say, the pictures we captured don't do it justice.  You have to see it firsthand, live which blows any pictures or video I have.

• Like 1

Day 3 - Juneau

There's nothing like waking up in the Alaskan Inside Passage.

gTPeftz.jpg

L9V2qsY.jpg

Our progress

JhMtHDg.jpg

4g66tzU.jpg

We are still an hour or two from Juneau.  The Inside Passage is so peaceful at times like this.  Video does a better job of conveying the feeling.

Finally we have arrived in Juneau.

PgJ50Fn.jpg

z12UZwR.jpg

Edited by twangster

No planned excursion, just taking it moment by moment.  I left a lot of today in the hands of a higher power - Mother Nature.  If the weather was good, my general thought was to go up the Mt. Roberts tramway, hike around a little, eat lunch on the ship and head over to the Mendenhall Glacier Park area.  Weather looked good so...

hKt4efA.jpg

Few lines early in the morning, right to front of the line.  Early morning dew still on the tramway cars.

yjJAMLi.jpg

XsNXVo4.jpg

I thought I'd go for a small hike.

u2PGsdt.jpg

Clouds were rolling through the valley.  At times the ships and the valley disappeared from the view completely.

XR05rxk.jpg

Looking back in the direction we came when we arrived in Juneau.

ijck1g0.jpg

hH369Ow.jpg

At times the clouds were thick and at times they cleared .  It was quite mesmerizing.  Here is a short time lapse from above the clouds.

Onward and upward on the trail in the direction of the peak.

M3eLnoQ.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Mt Roberts is named after Father Brown, a Jesuit Priest who was an avid hiker and volunteered with a newly formed trail association in Juneau back in the early 1900s.  Being a Priest he erected a cross, long since replaced with this more modern version.

dT0Eqhp.jpg

voniAy2.jpg

lIKsQ6S.jpg

Onward and upward.

0n3YnHE.jpg

With the clouds clearing I spotted an old friend who has been stalking me on this cruise.  

OTIdEE3.jpg

That's Explorer of the Seas making her way up the Gastineau channel for her scheduled noon arrival in Juneau.  It's a long way from Seattle and this is her first stop since leaving the same day we left Seward.

I was on Explorer a few month earlier doing her roundtrip Seattle Alaska itinerary in June of 2018 so I could relate to her arrival.

7qnnurc.jpg

J0L0M0V.jpg

cKDU3nc.jpg

JebXz4C.jpg

Continuing up the mountain the clouds were all but gone.

wRx51lc.jpg

cMquEbJ.jpg

Until there was a grumbling in my tummy.  That was the Windjammer was calling my name so it was time to head back down...

oakBEDu.jpg

Explorer had arrived.

2dEfe2q.jpg

Radiance by comparison.

tE8nZlZ.jpg

• Like 1

Located at the top of the tramway is a raptor center where you will find Lady Baltimore.

qwTCbP6.jpg

She was permanently injured and is non-releasable so she is in the care of the non-profit Juneau Raptor Center.  She spends her summer in the raptor center on Mt. Roberts.

qgWAxyb.jpg

7PHUcxZ.jpg

3xpVneL.jpg

PiHPAMk.jpg

With more ships in town the line was getting longer.  Glad I went early.

4iqYQVI.jpg

• Like 1

After lunch on the ship I still had seven hours in Juneau before all aboard so I took the "Blue Bus" service to Mendenhall Glacier.  I looked at Lyft since ridesharing was now available, something new since my last trip to Alaska, but it was going to cost more round trip than the bus and the bus cost includes park admission so bus it was.

vBvoi0x.jpg

The salmon were running which is something you won't see earlier in the season.

e9rEooF.jpg

XSaEQpj.jpg

7kC5Qyj.jpg

I1jk7lV.jpg

Back to the glacier...

IAutt5n.jpg

On a previous visit I took a helicopter and landed on the glacier.  That was an incredible experience (but an expensive one).  With those memories still fresh in my head this visit was from the national park exclusively.

vItVpxH.jpg

I took the short hike to Nugget Falls.

JBsQM39.jpg

oGJOGXM.jpg

gPYkqxT.jpg

LycTszh.jpg

DoosZia.jpg

B29c62q.jpg

Diamond happy hour was upon us and with many miles on my feet this day it was time to head back to the ship.  I was getting tired.

After a few drinks with new friends in the Concierge Lounge it was time for a Juneau sunset.

GcIQeXz.jpg

Be29YXp.jpg

qYMVzJh.jpg

zZ0DxpV.jpg

Time to depart.  Here is looking back at Juneau and Explorer of the Seas as we sailed past on our way out.

GIPwGHQ.jpg

Many people often ask what is the best time of year to visit Alaska.  Having been on Explorer in June in this exact same spot watching Radiance sail out from Juneau at the exact same time of day highlights one of the big differences between the months.  Sunlight.  

Our stop in Juneau on Radiance was in early September.  My Explorer cruise was in early June.  June has longer days and as a photographer that's something I pay attention to.

Here are pictures I took from Explorer of the Seas in June at the same time of day watching Radiance depart compared to my last post above from Radiance in September.

June 2018:

Ki3EpP9.jpg

pbu1nSa.jpg

22ZSwkX.jpg

Fast forward to September and standing on Radiance at this exact time of day looking back at Explorer:

GIPwGHQ.jpg

This should give you an idea how much brighter it is in June due to the longer days.

19 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Today we had beautiful weather for our visit to Hubbard Glacier. We could not asked for a better day. 

Glac1.jpg.e8340888902504fb467678a305238ebb.jpg

glac3.thumb.jpg.5d3984a870e92e112b5caf1ddae7c58e.jpg

Glac12jpg.thumb.jpg.9a67edcb08f0d1ed0fb41ff98ad7eec1.jpg

glac4.thumb.jpg.623e67759607d934158b1296ef3d20c2.jpg

glac5.thumb.jpg.976ff68ee2aae5eb0dba248855b03aef.jpg

glac6.thumb.jpg.eb2374632329f5048b78b8f3efbd5cbb.jpg

While the Radiance was viewing distance of Hubbard Glacier, did the ship provide a naturalist narrative over the PA to point out the unique features of the bay?  If so was it also broadcast over the in room television? 

We were also lucky with our weather at Hubbard Glacier. Lots of crew were on the deck with us. Turns out it was the 1st time they've managed to see the Glacier, as the 3 cruises before us were not so lucky.

Lucky - in the sense that at least we've managed to see it at all, since our "window of opportunity" was short.

P1040395.JPG

P1040395_stitch 2.jpg

PHOTO_20130801_173532.psdedit.jpg

P1040395_stitch 31extand - Copy.jpg2.jpgbw.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TiiiSailor said:

While the Radiance was viewing distance of Hubbard Glacier, did the ship provide a naturalist narrative over the PA to point out the unique features of the bay?  If so was it also broadcast over the in room television? 

Yes to both.

Today we are in Juneau and we took a tour with Harv & Marv to see whales

Harv-and-Marvs-Logo.png.f5612f4002a3918d6a57781bb348d5bb.png 

The day started grey but cleared off and warmed up nicely once we got out on the boat.

jun1.jpg.b9ae6117972181ea41f1140f46864c4d.jpg

jun2.jpg.7eebd331d5d2876e796f914e469d250c.jpg

jun3.jpg.65ba2e34f3a8d1227a68f6d256b52d4f.jpg

We headed down to the dock where we spotted an eagle that was about to enjoy breakfast

jun4.thumb.jpg.9ce17c60aa00bff2c084b61122734c66.jpg

jun6.thumb.jpg.0be771d37aa68aadd0303c4a30929160.jpg

jun7.thumb.jpg.4cc4ed7544913078bfda1211d2e80844.jpg

jun8.thumb.jpg.78d8cd688a29ad8a3a9aaeaf572608fc.jpg

• Like 2