Live cruise replay - Radiance to Alaska - August 19-26, 2016

Returning back towards the parking lot you have two trails you can follow.  The one I came up through the cemetery or the left trail that bypasses most of the cemetery.

AYlHmFv.jpg

Another train sounded it's horn so I took some video:

SXKtLQP.jpg

FAF4l0f.jpg

From here I walked back out to the main road and a bridge over the Skagway River.

fA6zVy4.jpg

ZtC8DsU.jpg

I walked back to town along the edge of the river.

At least as far as I could as the river runs past the end of the runway for the airport which is fenced off.

ed0kIwj.jpg

Dfg6Ikq.jpg

There is a small museum in town.  Admission was $2.

zJXyTgu.jpg

I was welcomed in and informed I could take pictures.  

UfbeRsZ.jpg

RydSikU.jpg

GewvenX.jpg

LZq9DZj.jpg

DosmN45.jpg

Bear!

UrDoJFE.jpg

7wUD3Pd.jpg

With a map like this no wonder everyone thought gold was abundant and all you had to do was bend over and pick it.  This is what led to the Klondike gold rush of 1898.  There's gold everywhere!

L0Z0jZm.jpg

The reality was a little different.

r5vsD0F.jpg

• Like 1

Outside they have an old locomotive on display right beside the active train tracks.

Vh7lJOH.jpg

9WYdx8k.jpg

The museum is all on the 1st floor and not large by any stretch but it was full of history, some native, some gold rush and some war time.  It was $2 and money well spent leaving me with memories I'll bring back on my next trip to Skagway. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

I walked through town and shopped some local arts shops and picked up a couple of locally made coasters.  With that I started back towards the ship.  

I was keeping an eye out for the Dewey Lake trail system and found a sign near the train crossing not far from the ship.

4rEiEUd.jpg

YOBLUrh.jpg

5RsOsqh.jpg

View of the town, or towards the town as the trees are blocking the town itself.  You can sort of make out the train tracks directly below me.

apJi14k.jpg

N2cWiln.jpg

Most of the gain in elevation occurs along the beginning of the trail.  I was regretting those beers at lunch.  Slow and steady. 

Once "up top" there wasn't as much vertical and switch backs.

First I came along a small reservoir.

eBQCKq6.jpg

EchW1ob.jpg

I kept going and came to the lower lake.

s0kZUKx.jpg

D3vYjZa.jpg

Continuing around the lake...

lbEPvpc.jpg

FW6KaKL.jpg

The trail doesn't always allow views of the lake but when it did it looked spectacular.

PCUOuzB.jpg

vbIJ5BS.jpg

q7HJAi1.jpg

Finally the end of the lake so I get to repeat the hike on the way around.

UmVFeXb.jpg

I noticed rails nearly covered in the dirt.  At one point this was an active mining area.  To think this was all done by hand up here on the top of this hill.  Incredible.

EDV3Bdp.jpg

j9g1AcR.jpg

Time to head back to the ship.

• Like 1

Today's hike to the cemetery and around lower Dewey Lake was 13.23 miles and just over 8 hours.

kgkVV0s.jpg

Cemetery at the top.

Dewey lake near the bottom and the ship in the bottom left.

And... back in time for my 5:45pm My Time dining reservation - after a cold beer and a shower.

• Like 1

Day 4 - Evening

I jumped in the hot tub to soothe my aching legs after two days of a lot of walking and hiking.  After that I ventured out to the helipad to capture sail away.  Explorer was already on the move.

kxnzC2D.jpg

Soon after we began our departure.  We followed Explorer down the channel. 

enr5Uda.jpg

It was another beautiful Alaskan evening.

bdjfV7K.jpg

qc4FTlo.jpg

• Like 2

Good morning

Today we are at Icy Strait Point, aka Hoonah Alaska. We will be heading out in search of bears today

We will be taking a Wilderness Tour and Brown Bear Search with Hoonah Travel Adventures.

Chichagof Island has the highest population of bears per square mile of any place on Earth. Our guides spend a lot of time in the pure, uninhabited Alaskan terrain and know how to spot all kinds of wildlife.

While there is a high probability of seeing bears, we can’t guarantee a sighting.

We can guarantee a journey into wilderness and a chance to experience the sheer beauty and ruggedness of the Tongass National Forest!

This tour is operated in the Tongass National Forest under special use permit from the Forest Service, USDA.

814674866_Hoonahtour.jpeg.c98aa50c00085cf6b3a1d7406df9413c.jpeg

• Like 1

Icy Strait Point or ISP is a favorite Alaskan port of call for me because it isn't more of the same jewelry stores and stores of souvenirs that are the same as the last port.  Run by a native Alaskan corporation they limit the numbers of ships to one at a time.

A foggy start to our ISP day.

3HauCRU.jpg

They had a nice fire waiting for us.

gH1REy0.jpg

The clouds grew thicker.  This can happen this time of year due to the 'warm' waters and cooler air temperatures.

YCloaF9.jpg

My destiny awaits.  Today's excursion is the zip line.  Somewhere at the top of these cables is where we start.

VYeRZky.jpg

7kXuMEG.jpg

I signed my waivers electronically on the tablets in the building and waited for our guide.  At 7:30am she led us outside to a bus that would make the 45 minute drive up the mountain.

Immediately after leaving the port area we saw some deer on the road.

CKLMrDb.jpg

TJJedmI.jpg

Our driver wore a microphone and narrated the drive.  We stopped at several lookout spots to see we were above the clouds.

UZj7dfy.jpg

54ugRBT.jpg

L51fYx6.jpg

Once at the top we had to walk down a hill toward the zip line.  Our drive warned us, watch out for the bear scat. 

DayBHoW.jpg

An easy walk downhill but too steep for the bus that would likely struggle to make it back up.

E8AGlyX.jpg

s24t6rJ.jpg

Finally we made it to the zip line station.  

TfZQlsI.jpg

Here are some pictures from my GoPro. 

You sit in a chair like harness and put your feet against a gate.  When it's time the gate flies open and away you go.

KjETqFc.jpg

3gralFV.jpg

uaum6vS.jpg

mp7Vltc.jpg

q32xhWw.jpg

Here is the video:

I actually enjoyed flying into the clouds.  It was a very unique experience. 

The clouds were breaking a little, maybe.  I headed back to the ship to get my good camera.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

The restaurant and bar didn't serve until 10am but they were open for us to walk into.

DfTi6Kr.jpg

LR2bWR5.jpg

qW8lzXZ.jpg

mizJSvz.jpg

The fog continued to lift.

R2vywgz.jpg

0WqWlib.jpg

ISP was a cannery back in the day before cruising was a thing.  Here they processed fish and canned it.  They have some of the old buildings set up as a museum with old packing equipment on display.  Part of the building contains different local artists and stores.

M9zUPko.jpg

GtAcnXU.jpg

UoencUH.jpg

uaWmdwG.jpg

5zy5sy6.jpg

KmpzxJR.jpg

4gfTqZu.jpg

LzSU0im.jpg

Not a bad place to eat lunch.

hOiPNMn.jpg

QoJzCab.jpg

Inside I ordered a Halibut Sandwich and a red ale.  They handed me an electronic tracker that i placed on the black mat on the table.  With this they were able to find me. 

KJ7bFVs.jpg

It was very good and the beer tasted great while looking out at the water and blue sky.

After launch I went for a stroll.

MHMOBT6.jpg

QtbGiJ9.jpg

qdT170H.jpg

VBlk7dd.jpg

mEnnSBn.jpg

qU3fRpS.jpg

What a difference on a clear sunny day makes.

2cOjK8J.jpg

U0kOJwm.jpg

• Like 1

There is a short nature walk that starts near the Adventure Center and runs through the woods then along the water in front of the ship.  It's well packed and accessible.  I did see a guided tour was available that I presume uses the golf cart type shuttles that are used on the pier.  That path is very wide.

FWNxp4j.jpg

zA8bYfb.jpg

J6gzNXT.jpg

2BM2quk.jpg

LTQnbSr.jpg

GkuyZ3E.jpg

Inside the main building you first enter is a small store.  

ztmsd4Y.jpg

It's quite nice inside and also serves as the excursion meeting point for some of the excursions.  

9QHyUSw.jpg

gr4MW2s.jpg

The blue sky was too much for me and I had to ask.  How much for a do-over on the zip line?  

The girl gave me a break on the price and my 1pm zip line time was set.  She warned me it was the last zip of the day and they need a few more guests to operate it.  They guaranteed my return to the ship well before the 2:30pm all aboard.

1pm arrived at the waiting area in the building and I counted more than six.  Houston, we have lift off.

uhDQYEL.jpg

The bus drive this time yielded much better views, both near the port and in the mountains.  

eErPxHO.jpg

AY76Am4.jpg

uPWJxPx.jpg

nuVo9zE.jpg

VNyHWsx.jpg

gq3iGa7.jpg

IKKnYWx.jpg

lJvTjjf.jpg

SiI7DeV.jpg

fqnlLy1.jpg

Video, of course:

What a ride!  What a view!

• Like 1

Since we started in Vancouver, ISP was the 1st time we "touched down" in Alaska.

Upon recommendation from other roll callers and together with them, we booked a bear watching tour with Misty Bay Lodge.

I can't fault MBL for the very hot day, and the fact that the bears preferred the "air-con" of wherever they spend their days to come and meet us, but we finished a 7-8 hours tour with a back ache from the very bad roads, and not even a tail of bear in sight. The drivers tried very hard, but I can "relate" to bears who don't want to wander around with such a thick coat in 86F....

• Like 1

What has been a continuing theme we started the day grey then enjoyed blue skies as the day continued on. I am definitely enjoying that combination as I have read the horror stories of rain every day.

hoon1.thumb.jpg.37ab5cd355f19ef555246ad5cf233d72.jpg 

hoon2.thumb.jpg.698c551ce2224a83ee0d3b48db202a2e.jpg

van.thumb.JPG.e421e88de7b480266cd571ac58159e71.JPG

hoon3.thumb.jpg.d64ee5bc02da378c28655d7cacc88e5b.jpg

First we had to drive through town

hoon4.thumb.jpg.78ac1d98a88b408040f4d0a66f37cf09.jpg

hoon5.thumb.jpg.ecc8fc2a84f15d8e94adad01eeda36a4.jpg

hoon6.thumb.jpg.02b5868d2f60a927e3ddaa917a19cf32.jpg

hoon7.thumb.jpg.fe46a258b42961507605d034fe58c346.jpg

• Like 1

Once we drove up into the hills we staked out a bridge and began our wait for bears. 

hoon8.thumb.jpg.91c78418a0a932a8054caf3cccfda206.jpg

hoon9.thumb.jpg.47dd17644b12376c56c7b757d7ebea68.jpg

hoon10.thumb.jpg.dfaa967df7dcb915625b19bae43af79e.jpg

hoon11.thumb.jpg.564837b36eadd822bcc05b3284e16977.jpg

Surprisingly it was not long before we had our first sighting

hoon12.thumb.jpg.964ba55d837060b5ef023e10e926fc7f.jpg

Marie with our driver and protector Mike.

hoon13.thumb.jpg.af2faf4cd92108ab222690897ff2a893.jpg

This was a good spot to wait as there was plenty of salmon in the stream to entice the bears

hoon14.thumb.jpg.457dae3a2f7470e2bea1a5fa0c7aa7e1.jpg

hoon15.thumb.jpg.66017c9995c4cedde3444a5e2a4194e4.jpg

We even had a mink sighting.

hoon16.thumb.jpg.2125de593a9a01974502cb7807fa47f6.jpg

• Like 2

hoon23.thumb.jpg.6b12223e58f2fccc6bb761ea313720c8.jpg

After our tour we headed back through town but made a stop to see some young eagles in their nest

bird1-2.thumb.jpg.17f3a0971e7a09a8214672091f83451e.jpg

bird2-2.thumb.jpg.69a46968efdca8c4b6c8a030b002c570.jpg

bird3-2.thumb.jpg.16ef9e97b89ed7e3dc4f389d4adfee3d.jpg

hoon24.thumb.jpg.394206f7ebf5899024dd44648445ba74.jpg

hoon25.thumb.jpg.b47330c6f6aeff5e8e7262183198c190.jpg

hoon26.thumb.jpg.2823aa68c04ce865c7f986d143b2a7e8.jpg

Wait is that twangster I see sailing down the mountain? 😂

hoon27.thumb.jpg.280f79324788badabebb7ccc16341401.jpg

hoon28.thumb.jpg.56b77bb7546ab84e2650259994d46456.jpg

hoon29.thumb.jpg.510854a33a761777d194396c1f8bb0d3.jpg

hoon30.thumb.jpg.c7e40b0aef3dba1de8be45dcd96c8ed5.jpg

All in all another great day in Alaska. We saw bears (check the box) and even eagles. What a great time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ISP is located in a prime whale watching area which means our sail away could yield some whale sightings.  Time for the helipad.  

BCSGinZ.jpg

6MwIssL.jpg

UaM85Go.jpg

UZ5WCsx.jpg

XXuiZy8.jpg

Many Alaska communities are landlocked - no roads in or out.  Alaska boasts the "Maritime Highway".  A number of car/passenger ferries that have scheduled service between communities so you can "drive" the Maritime Highway.  Here is one of them in the distance.  

98Al3er.jpg

Several whales were spotted in the distance but too far away to get a decent photo, that is until this one popped up just off the helipad port side, about 30 yards out.

Ist7gWB.jpg

oPEF0Zg.jpg

idOTBlN.jpg

In the distance we could see several water spouts.  A sizable pod was swimming a mile or so away.  There must have been eight or more taking turns spraying water into the air.

9AErdCr.jpg

If you are going to whale watch on the sail away from ISP you might want gloves and a hat.  With a slight wind it was a little chilly.

Since I had Voom I looked at a map and sure enough Juneau was straight ahead on the other side of Admiralty Island that sat between us.  As suspected that is Mendenhall Glacier in the distance. 

5tWtw4j.jpg

• Like 1

After dinner my new friends from deck 13 had heard a rumor that the Northern Lights might be active tonight.  

While they did not appear, there was amazing star gazing from the helipad.

Can you find the Big Dipper?  It's on the Alaska state flag so appropriate tonight.

J1Y7wcf.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, twangster said:

After dinner my new friends from deck 13 had heard a rumor that the Northern Lights might be active tonight.  

While they did not appear, there was amazing star gazing from the helipad.

Can you find the Big Dipper?  It's on the Alaska state flag so appropriate tonight.

J1Y7wcf.jpg

What an amazing shot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1