Rotterdam Dining Options & Lanai Question

Tedferg

We are comparing 2021,10 day Canada New England cruise on HAL, Celebrity, Princess. Celebrity has Blu and Princess has Club Class. Does HAL have a dining option for Balcony guests ? Also referring to 'Balcony' I saw a thread here that answered my questions on Lanai with the exception it implied there were Balcony options that were not Lanai. I think they were also on Promenade. But cannot see anything on Rotterdam Deck plans. Seems the only 'balcony' is Lanai or Vista Suite. Vista looks more like a Mini Suite to me and a lot more expensive than Lanai.

There are no balcony cabins on the promenade deck.   Not certain but don’t think there are regular ‘balcony’ options onboard Rotterdam- only Vista Suites.   Deck plans are available on HAL facts page so you can check there.  Vista Suites come with double cruise days toward Mariner status and beside from a couple of other small things they are really no different from a balcony cabin.   

Special dining on HAL is limited to Neptune and Pinnacle Suites which have the Neptune Lounge and dine in the Pinnacle Grill (Club Orange on  Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam breakfast and dinner ) for breakfast. No special dining venue for balcony, Vista or Signature.  

Edited by Gigi1977

Thanks Gigi - 7 and 10 day cruises on this itinerary only options are  Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Zaandam. Zaandam does not even have Lanai. Could not find Deck Plans on HAL site - will look again.

EDIT OK found more details under 'Experience' Lanai on Lower Promenade are color coded - are they priced differently ?

EDIT 2 it seems only Lanai available on chosen date are mid-ship, so I did not see option to choose from deck plan as I do on Celebrity and Princess. So did not see significance of color coding on cabins.

Edited by Tedferg

27 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

EDIT OK found more details under 'Experience' Lanai on Lower Promenade are color coded - are they priced differently ?

Only the CA (purple) are Lanai. The rest are just OV.

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

Only the CA (purple) are Lanai. The rest are just OV.

OK that explains a comment on another thread about Promenade cabins that are not Lanai. I thought they meant they were regular balconies.

We cruised on the Rotterdam in 2016.  The Lanai are OV, but they have a door that opens onto the promenade.  The Rotterdam also has the Vista Suites, with a private balcony.  And the Lanai are considerably smaller than the Vista Suites.  Also, keep in mind that the cheapest Vista Suites on the Rotterdam are directly under the Retreat.

If you're comparing the Vista Suite to the Celebrity and the Princess ships, think Balcony Class or Concierge class.  Don't think mini-suite or Sky Suite, because they're much smaller.

On the other hand, I liked the smaller ship.  Celebrity and Princess tend to be huge.

Edited by knittinggirl

The lanai cabins are not private balcony cabins.

Those cabins designated as lanai have a door out onto the public and popular promenade deck. The only "private" real estate are the two deck chairs immediately outside your cabin. 

There can be deck chairs for general use next to those deck chairs.

Thanks for updates, we had booked Ocean View on our cancelled Sep 2020 Princess, New England cruise. Price for Balcony was $1,100 more and with just one sea day we thought we'd try it. A Lanai would compare favorably with OV.

Another consideration for this itinerary: it’s become very popular in the last year or two. We were disappointed in September 2019 to find that the larger ships (in our case, Caribbean Princess) got the dock space and we had to tender. This happened in ports we never tendered in the past. So, round trip there were six tender ports rather than the two listed on our booking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

4 minutes ago, Adoptionmsw said:

Another consideration for this itinerary: it’s become very popular in the last year or two. We were disappointed in September 2019 to find that the larger ships (in our case, Caribbean Princess) got the dock space and we had to tender. This happened in ports we never tendered in the past. So, round trip there were six tender ports rather than the two listed on our booking.

Hmmm we are comparing HAL with Caribbean Princess 🙂

27 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Hmmm we are comparing HAL with Caribbean Princess 🙂

Check cruise timetables website to see which ships are scheduled to be  in your ports on the days of your cruise to get an idea of how crowded things will be 😉 .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Check cruise timetables website to see which ships are scheduled to be  in your ports on the days of your cruise to get an idea of how crowded things will be 😉 .

Which website is that please.

Hmmm we are comparing HAL with Caribbean Princess [emoji846]

Before everything shut down, we were considering Caribbean Princes for fall 2020 for two reasons. It was to leave from NYC while HAL sails from Boston. Last year both Caribbean Princess and our HAL ships (we took one north and another one back) shadowed each other. We are loyal HAL 4 star mariners but NY is closer and we’re not tender fans. We’ll see what is offered in Autumn 2021 and make a decision then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 hour ago, Adoptionmsw said:

. It was to leave from NYC while HAL sails from Boston. 

Same thinking for us, we are two couples one of whom has never been to NYC, so that is a big attraction for us.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, Yodalicious said:

Tedferg, first time in NYC, cocktails at sunset, at the Marriott Marquis!   

On the calendar, thanks !  Is there a top floor lounge ?

Edited by Tedferg