RC Western Mediterranean Cruise Advice

Hi Everyone!

I have been on a few RC cruises, absolutely love them. My wife is turning 30 next July and we're looking to book a ~7 night cruise as her birthday gift, to include some immediate family on both sides. She has requested it to be in the Mediterranean, to see Italy / Spain / etc. Looking for advice as I have only sailed the Caribbean. Seeing some interesting itinerary options aboard the Harmony, but would like to optimize this trip.

What ports are generally considered the best to visit? Or worst (like Nassau in the Caribbean!)

Which is the easiest to sail out of - i.e. best port experience, easiest to fly into, etc. Seeing Barcelona and Rome as two immediate options, happy to look at others.

Any other recommendations or considerations for a European cruise?

Thank you so much for the help!!

We are from the UK and like to fly in and depart same day.  For us, Barcelona is by far the easiest.   Airport to port is just a few minutes in a taxi.  There are always lots of taxis waiting at the airport when you arrive and plenty at the port lined up on departure day so no need to book anything in advance.  

As far as departing on cruise experiences go - Barcelona and Rome are poles apart. While Barcelona is very much geared up to cruises, Civitavecchia is a big commercial port and nowhere near Rome so you would need to arrange transfers or get a train to the ship.

So from my point of view Barcelona wins.  Having said that we have booked Odyssey from Rome for next summer because I wanted to go to Mykonos.  It just takes a bit more planning and an overnight in Rome.

Edited by livylotte

1 hour ago, CruisinMark said:

Hi Mark!

Decide what's more important, the ship or the ports. No point in paying top dollar for one of the big, fancy ships if you're going to be spending all day, every day on land exploring the ports and coming back so exhausted that all you want to do is eat and go to bed!

If the ports are priority (which I'm guessing they will be since you're coming from across the pond), the money you will almost certainly save by opting for a smaller, older ship can be put to much better use by paying for excursions on land.

As far as start/end ports are concerned, if you can swing a cruise that starts in one port and finishes in another AND spend a couple of days in each that would definitely maximise your European experience.

Barcelona is probably one of the easiest to start in because the port is right there in the city centre but this also makes it great to spend the day in as a port of call, unlike Civitavecchia which is a minimum 1 hour drive from Rome depending on traffic. For this reason if you have narrowed your choice down to one or other of these as you starting port, I would say opt for Civitavecchia and make sure you arrive AT LEAST the day before and preferably two or three days before, so you can explore Rome. There are plenty of companies that offer reasonably priced transfers from central Rome to Civi that you can use on embarkation day to get you to the ship.

I believe Venice is amazing to sail from but that it can be a bit complicated to get to the port, depending on where you're staying. However, I have not actually done it myself; this is just information I have gleaned from the boards.

I would absolutely advise against flying in overnight the night before your cruise, especially when you're coming so far. There is too much that can go wrong and for a special occasion cruise it could be a disaster. When we sail in Europe (normally only a couple of hours' flight time for us) we typically fly in the day before but if we are sailing from Florida we fly in two or three days before to allow time to resolve potential problems and still get there in time. This also helps you recover from the long flight and adjust to the time difference.

As far as "best" ports are concerned, it really depends on what you like as there is tremendous variety here in Europe. Everything from historic castles to scenic coastal villages and rural vineyards. If you can say what might interest you it would make it easier for people to give you more helpful suggestions.

Hope this helps a bit to begin with at least... 😄

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Hi Mark!

Decide what's more important, the ship or the ports. No point in paying top dollar for one of the big, fancy ships if you're going to be spending all day, every day on land exploring the ports and coming back so exhausted that all you want to do is eat and go to bed!

If the ports are priority (which I'm guessing they will be since you're coming from across the pond), the money you will almost certainly save by opting for a smaller, older ship can be put to much better use by paying for excursions on land.

As far as start/end ports are concerned, if you can swing a cruise that starts in one port and finishes in another AND spend a couple of days in each that would definitely maximise your European experience.

Barcelona is probably one of the easiest to start in because the port is right there in the city centre but this also makes it great to spend the day in as a port of call, unlike Civitavecchia which is a minimum 1 hour drive from Rome depending on traffic. For this reason if you have narrowed your choice down to one or other of these as you starting port, I would say opt for Civitavecchia and make sure you arrive AT LEAST the day before and preferably two or three days before, so you can explore Rome. There are plenty of companies that offer reasonably priced transfers from central Rome to Civi that you can use on embarkation day to get you to the ship.

I believe Venice is amazing to sail from but that it can be a bit complicated to get to the port, depending on where you're staying. However, I have not actually done it myself; this is just information I have gleaned from the boards.

I would absolutely advise against flying in overnight the night before your cruise, especially when you're coming so far. There is too much that can go wrong and for a special occasion cruise it could be a disaster. When we sail in Europe (normally only a couple of hours' flight time for us) we typically fly in the day before but if we are sailing from Florida we fly in two or three days before to allow time to resolve potential problems and still get there in time. This also helps you recover from the long flight and adjust to the time difference.

As far as "best" ports are concerned, it really depends on what you like as there is tremendous variety here in Europe. Everything from historic castles to scenic coastal villages and rural vineyards. If you can say what might interest you it would make it easier for people to give you more helpful suggestions.

Hope this helps a bit to begin with at least... 😄

This is good advice. 

Just to add, Barcelona is easy but personally Rome is special and worth the effort. I’d suggest arriving 3 or 4 days before sailing day. 

Med cruises can be very port intensive so if you plan on seeing lots during the day then the ship isn’t as important .... you’ll be too tired. 

Whilst Barcelona is easy access from the airport, the ports on that Harmony itinerary are mostly quite a distance and require a lot of planning. You cannot do justice to Rome in a day. They are all long days too, with only one sea day.. you’ll leave more exhausted than you arrived! 

Personally, I’d go to Venice. Easy from airport to the city ( you must arrive by boat) and then you can catch the alilaguna directly to the cruise terminal ( assuming the location has not changed by next year).   All the ports on the Croatia itinerary are very close, walkable and manageable. 
Imagine walking the walks in Dubrovnik, the magical sail into Kotor and strolling the streets of Mykonos. No they aren’t the “big” names but I bet you’ll enjoy it more. And be relaxed. 
JMHO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

What's wrong with the train, bus or taxi?

Because the best way to arrive in Venice is by water ..... you start to get the atmosphere the moment you board from the airport .

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

We will also be doing Harmony in the Med next year.  Barcelona is by far the easiest port to get to and navigate as a tourist. We are looking forward to Naples/Capri as we have never been there before. Keep in mind that Harmony was built as the destination with ports being secondary.  A older smaller ship would be better if ports are your main concern.  If you choose Rome as your departure port check out Bob's Limo for transportation and tours, they have great prices. happy cruising 

3 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We will also be doing Harmony in the Med next year. 

If you choose Rome as your departure port check out Bob's Limo for transportation and tours, they have great prices.

We will actually be on Harmony in the Med next year too, after L&S-ing from Allure this year.

For us, as Europeans, we are going more for the ship than for the ports, although the ports are pretty good too. La Spezia is great for a DIY excursion to Cinque Terre.

And I can second the recommendation for Bob's Limos. We used them on the one occasion we sailed from Civi and were more than happy with the service.

We chose a round trip from Civitavecchia (Rome) simply out of convenience. At the time of year we sailed, we could fly nonstop from where we live to Rome, but not to any other port in our itinerary (including Barcelona). It turned out to be a wonderful decision since we spent a few days pre-cruise exploring Rome and the Vatican. Absolutely wonderful. Yes, the drive to the port is about an hour, but it was a very easy, picturesque, and leisurely drive. I actually enjoyed the drive as we got to see a bit of the country side. We pre-booked private transportation (from Stefano’s Rome Cabs), and we were picked up at our hotel and dropped off at the cruise terminal. Couldn’t have been any easier. 

From the ports we visited in our itinerary, the highlights were Barcelona and Valletta. Both were fantastic destinations. I would love to return to any of these two ports on a land vacation. Something that you will quickly learn when you cruise the Med is that a few hours in port is like tasting one droplet of a fine wine. I left each port with a pain in my gut, realizing how little we had a chance to see. 

Still, it was an absolutely fantastic experience, and one that I’d love to repeat in the future. I recommend that you look beyond Royal Caribbean. And if possible, outside of the summer, high season months. Not only are the crowds substantially thinner, and the temperatures much more conducive to sightseeing without melting, but you’ll be surprised at how much cheaper it is to sail the Med if you have some flexibility. We actually chose a November cruise over Thanksgiving aboard one of MSC’s newest ships. The cruise was so dirt cheap, that we decided to splurge to a two deck duplex suite (the equivalent of a crown loft suite on Royal). We paid less for that suite than what we’ve paid for a standard balcony in the Caribbean! Truly amazing.

16B55A6B-6360-4266-A5AF-B72BCE6DA72D.jpeg

2426D11A-D722-4817-BE0C-898E8FB58E81.jpeg

F1EE7453-607B-40BB-ADFC-CC98B1645EE8.jpeg

E40E504E-053B-4EE8-8F97-2C231B0DCC5F.jpeg

931D3515-030D-48F9-9BA3-9AD9E0657748.jpeg

2FB197CF-5A13-4C89-9F2E-239D353DF6CB.jpeg

200B9F46-8F82-42C4-8C50-E7919E891361.jpeg

91DC63E0-8D7B-4EAC-8302-03CB750EA984.jpeg

AA195A78-5C42-4012-A2DC-AC03B12A5071.jpeg

28A5FCC6-4A47-4FCB-85AB-DB3E5557EBA6.jpeg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, little britain said:

Because the best way to arrive in Venice is by water ..... you start to get the atmosphere the moment you board from the airport .

We did the bus and boat combo, much cheaper and still gives you atmosphere.  Plus as I traveled with kids there is nothing like a good rendition of the Wheels on the Bus at midnight ( true story, my kids were wide awake on our arrival). This is your opinion, but at 100 euros that is not feasible for everyone.

I would agree with others on pick your ports first and ship second.  I travel with kids, but travel often so I never use expensive cabs and transfers and use the buses and other public transportation for ease and cost effectiveness.  Venice can be a nightmare if you don't plan, but so can then other places.  Use the different Mediterranean port boards so you know how easy/ difficult getting to each place is by public transport or how much it costs in a cab.  Rome is far so costs around 100 euros in a cab or shuttle service, but if you can handle luggage, it costs 5 euro to take the train, with no elevator at the port, which is how my family did it.  While Barcelona is cab efficient with cabs costing around 30-40 euro ( airport or town) with many hotels around 20 euros to the port. But if you can walk a few blocks there is a port bus convenient to many hotels that is only 2 euro. So ease of getting places depends on your fitness and budget.

What I like may not be what you like so a guidebook of ports, library has them when open, to get an idea of what places you want to travel to and to see your options is what I recommend.  Set a budget and go from there.

Now if you want my opinion, I recommend embarking out of Barcelona because the city was one of my favorites and I also agree as a first time abroad it is an easier city to maneuver ( be aware it has a reputation for pickpockets so travel light with less cash).  My next choice is Venice because it is a unique city unlike any other. I thought it was all hype until I went, but it is an amazing place. If you can handle luggage it was easy, but more planning if you are mobility challenged.

As for ports, my favorite cities ( not all visited on a cruise) were Istanbul, Dubvronik, Funchal, Athens (Piraeus) and Montenegro. I love nature/gardens unique experiences ( look at the toboggan in Funchal), ruins, and churches. 

Happy planning whatever you choose.

Edited by bearette

Hello!  My daughter and I went last year for a graduation gift.  Not sure if true for next year, but Royal does one itinerary from Barcelona and finishes in Venice. Only happens once a year. In ‘19 it was in the middle of May which was perfect for us. The rest of their itineraries are either up and down Italy on the west or the East. (ex leaving Barcelona and returning there). We really wanted to see Rome and also a Croatian port so this was great. We flew into Barcelona and departed from there. We stopped on Cannes, France, Rome, Naples, Sicily, Zadar, Croatia and finished in Venice. It was truly magical. We loved every single place. Probably my favorite was the Almalfi Coast, and seeing the towns of Positano and Sorrento. Magical!!!!  We used RomeinLimo for our Rome excursion and I can’t say enough good things about them. I booked this and was able to get two other cruisers which cut the price in half. Much better than going on a bus load full of people. We used Aldo Limos for the Naples excursion and they were also fantastic. We used Private Guides Croatia for that trip to Krka National Park. So beautiful. Please let me know if you have more questions or just need more info!!!  

49 minutes ago, bearette said:

We did the bus and boat combo, much cheaper and still gives you atmosphere.  Plus as I traveled with kids there is nothing like a good rendition of the Wheels on the Bus at midnight ( true story, my kids were wide awake on our arrival). This is your opinion, but at 100 euros that is not feasible for everyone.

The Alilaguna is €15pp from airport to city centre for a 90 minute trip. Cheaper if you prebuy on line.

4 hours ago, CruisinMark said:

Hi Everyone!

I have been on a few RC cruises, absolutely love them. My wife is turning 30 next July and we're looking to book a ~7 night cruise as her birthday gift, to include some immediate family on both sides. She has requested it to be in the Mediterranean, to see Italy / Spain / etc. Looking for advice as I have only sailed the Caribbean. Seeing some interesting itinerary options aboard the Harmony, but would like to optimize this trip.

What ports are generally considered the best to visit? Or worst (like Nassau in the Caribbean!)

Which is the easiest to sail out of - i.e. best port experience, easiest to fly into, etc. Seeing Barcelona and Rome as two immediate options, happy to look at others.

Thank you so much for the help!!

Barcelona would be my choice for embarkation.

The airport is 20 minutes away from the port and there are hundreds of hotels for pre cruise stays and lots to do around las Ramblas in the centre which is 10 minutes taxi from the cruise terminal.

Palma in Majorca is a nice stop.

Villefrance is a tender port but very close to Nice and Monaco.

Naples is a favourite of ours as you can visit Capri by hydrofoil or Sorrento, Pompeii,Amalfi coast by coach.

Rome is a wonderful city but is 1 hour coach from Civittavechia port.

Ajaccio Corsica is picturesque and Napoleon Bonapartes birthplace.

Livorno is much close than La Spezzia for access to Florence or Pisa.

Santorini is beautiful but is a tender port and you need to go straight to the cable car to get to the top as there are long queues.

Kusadasi in Turkey is great for shopping in the Bazaar's or a trip to the ruins of Ephesus.

Marseille has a nice port area but not much there.

Other people have mentioned other ports and you are literally spoilt for choice.

Graham

1 hour ago, little britain said:

The Alilaguna is €15pp from airport to city centre for a 90 minute trip. Cheaper if you prebuy on line.

This brings up a good point too that we ran into, we flew in late and the Alilaguna was not running.  We like to book apartments instead of hotels and a lot of the apartments won't let you check in late without a fee. As so done mentioned flights from your home airport will come into play because it you can do a nonstop or short layover to one place and not another that will be worth it. Check transportation options that match with your flight times for early morning or late evening.  We ran into issues with this on a vacation in Finland where the public transport by where we were staying didn't start until an hour to our flight, so we had to walk a good mile (1.5 km) to the bus station in the snow at 4am.  Looking back on that trip, it would have been a good time to spend the money on the cab....