Star Breeze News

dandee2

@minidonuts85 – the email you quoted talks about the new West Coast and Tahiti itineraries for Star Breeze in late 2021/early 2022.  Did they give you any details?  I can't find anything on their website [the August 10-21, 2021 cruise from Seward to Vancouver is the latest shown]

Hi there, Unfortunately no other detail other than what came across the email. I’ve been checking as well and haven’t seen the new itineraries yet. We are west coasters who can’t make the May sailing when the Breeze goes up up to Alaska so we will be very interested in what the details are back down the west coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Or maybe Wind Spirit will go in for refurbishment and Breeze will take over Tahiti sailings until Spirit is spruced up. There are limited ports here to rework.

This sounds a bit fantastic. Not like I dont believe such thing may not happen but due to recent news everything seems very possible to me. I am not getting surprised anymore really. I even wonder if there is something that can shock me these days. If it ever happens.. I wont be surprised

Obviously we are all guessing here but a consideration must be the financial benefit of a larger boat.

The Breeze would accommodate 164 more passengers than the Spirit does. If the average fare was around $3000 pp, that’s before the current blowout sale, thats an additional $492,000 income per week. Add to that potentially 312 people using Windstar excursions and the probable substantial income, with no effort, that they realize from the flight/hotel packages, as well as the on board liquor income.
I'm certainly not assuming a full boat every week but the additional potential is there. We have been on the sailboats three times, including Tahiti, and on the motor yachts eleven times. Both are great and actually sailing, maybe,  in Tahiti is a bonus, but the motor yachts are great, more overall space, bigger cabins, balconies etc.
Who knows, whatever happens we are all hoping that Windstar makes the right decisions and we agree with what they decide.

BTW. On June 10 Fincantieri published a video of the Breeze being towed out of the dry dock. As of yesterday it’s still there, obviously a wet dock now, and the Legend is docked nearby, waiting. I know there is a lot of work to do on the interior of the Breeze, but there is an adjacent dock that can be used and allow work to start on the Legend.

Just got email informing now April 29 2021 Wind Spirit is now going to be on Breeze. That’s all I know so far except that itinerary remains same.

Edited: never mind we are not impacted. The Breeze will be in Alaska Aug 2021.

Wait a minute! I think I’m wrong wrong wrong. I’ve booked Wind Spirit 4/29/21 but also booked same cruise 11/21 and while the email doesn’t say I’m pretty sure it’s not 4/29/21 WS refers to but the latter.

Wait a minute! I think I’m wrong wrong wrong. I’ve booked Wind Spirit 4/29/21 but also booked same cruise 11/21 and while the email doesn’t say I’m pretty sure it’s not 4/29/21 WS refers to but the latter.

I bet it is the Nov 2021. The Breeze is coming by San Diego 10/3/2021 and from there maybe to México and eventually heading to Tahiti.

@minidonuts85

Yes the other Tahiti sailing we are booked on is the 17 day on 11/22/21 and now Star Breeze shows as the ship we're on for that date. So I guess we are the first sailing of Star Breeze Tahiti. (We also have 4/29/21 on Wind Spirit).

Really lucked out as we purchased when the fares were a steal.

Edited by Petoonya

We got excited about he news that the a Breeze was going to be our 4/29 ship but thanks for the quick correction. Either way, we hope it all works out.

We got a bit excited too and then I realized I had my years all mixed up! We’re Aug 2021 and off by a year haha.
Although I am curious about the trans-pacific to Tahiti from (presumably) the west. We may try to jump on from San Diego to wherever it stops in Mexico, likely Puerto Vallarta. We did the Legend Sea of Cortez last Oct and really enjoyed it.

9 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

I am curious about the trans-pacific to Tahiti from (presumably) the west,

If you see the transpacific before me will you shoot me an email? petuniafish@gmail.com

Nancy

• Like 2

Highly recommend the trans Pacific. We did it on the Spirit when she first went over, to say we loved it does not even begin to say how great it was. Because we were two days ahead of time  we sailed, sails only for two days and Captain Pinto just about sailed into Papeete Harbor. It was one of our greatest travel experiences. Happy Sailing. 

@Strenz

Can you tell me what port you sailed from? And direct to Papeete, no Hawaii? How many days? I think we're all referring to Breeze sailing transpacific here, but wonder where Wind Spirit will head. Now if Spirit did Papeete-LA, gosh would really love to be on it.

We went out of Puerto Caldera in Costa Rice. The Spirit took 19 days.  As  I stated we were early so we actually took 19. We went along the equator " the doldrums" and we had the calmest seas one could imagine. Sails only for 2 days. Glorious. Hawaii was far to North. The only land we saw were the  Îles de Disappointment. I think the Spirit is staying in Tahiti. She should the Breeze will be nice, the Spirit with sails is gorgeous. 

I did trans-Pacific on Star Legend; a Northern crossing from Japan to Alaska b2b with the first Alaska cruise.  The crossing was very relaxing. It took 9 days (8 on the calendar because of the dateline). We stopped several times to watch whales and an albatross

The sky was overcast the whole way, but the sea was surprisingly calm - not doldrums calm, but smoother than the 2m we had near Japan. The only rough day was the start of the Alaska trip crossing the gulf from Seward to the Inside Passage.

I'd happily do the longer more Southern crossing in either Spirit or Breeze.

4 hours ago, Strenz said:

. I think the Spirit is staying in Tahiti. She should the Breeze will be nice, the Spirit with sails is gorgeous. 

Wonder why Spirit will be staying in Tahiti? Can't begin to imagine your voyage on Spirit and those sails out! What year was this?

1 hour ago, new_cruiser said:

I'd happily do the longer more Southern crossing in either Spirit or Breeze.

Can see being happy doing either southern or northern on an ship. Your cruise must've been fantastic!

Tahiti is a money maker for WS. Until  Asia is safe I think it is a good idea for WS to have a sailing ship and a motor yacht there. I think  the Spirit is there to stay. We crossed in 2014. I made an error my previous post we had 19 days to cross and we made it in 18 days with two days of sails only. We had a lovely night in Papeete. 72 crossed and 39 stayed on for the 7 day cruise. 26 days of bliss. We are on the East Coast it is a really long flight. I say 19 days on a ship is better that 14 hours of flying. Enjoy Happy Sailing.

• Like 1

@Strenz

Thanks for the word. Had no idea that it would be possible for them to keep both ships going in FP but makes a lot of sense. Add to that Ponant hasn't won over it's loyal PG fans and lot of mutiny talk on the PG board. Bet there will be a lot of PG faithful who'll be looking for a new home. Your 26 days on Wind Spirit sound heavenly.  Can't imagine any cruise being more perfect than that.

One last thing. FP is a moneymaker for WS, but what was with the incredible prices this last spring/early summer? Just because they needed a shot in the arm and that was a quick way to get it? If so it really worked as prices zoomed back up in the last few weeks. Know many who waited too long.

@Petoonya

Hi again, I really do know a lot about how cruises are priced. Because we have been on many WS cruises we have been friendly with some captains and we were told that Tahiti was a money maker from them. Since Tahiti is relatively safe  I think , no evidence, that WS is gambling to get through this pandemic and to become semi operational a good bet would be to put two ships there plus the Breeze will be in good placement if Asia opens up sooner. Again as for pricing I know they float prices, obviously to see what they can get also from past similar  cruises they can semi know how high/ low things will go. When they start filling up, the prices go up. I think it is an educational, mathematical, capacity game they all have to play. I like going to Europe and the Caribbean, for the Caribbean, coming from the NE  best time  I have  experienced in buying air tickets is in June so I generally reserve my WS cruise then. You can wait so long for cruises to go down then airfares go up, in the NE way up. Europe is different I have absolutely no airline  status so in order to use miles for business class ( only way I can afford to do that ) I reserve a seat year out, I reserve my WS and watch  the prices carefully and adjust when I can. Really all a game and trying to do my best. Sometimes I lose and sometimes win. The prices for the Caribbean were so low I jumped on them in April, thought we would go out of Barbados on the Surf for the Caribbean I adore that ship, but we could not get to Barbados without going through NYC and in the winter it always shuts down due to weather, plus 6 hours NYC to Barbados, WS offered me the same price with balcony on the Breeze so we jumped, Jet Blue Boston up/down 3 hours, great miles rate,   paid for legroom, we are happy, will miss the Surf but  in these times we did what was more sensible. I hope we turn  a corner soon with the virus, so looking forward to getting back on the WS ships that among others is my motivation to be so diligent and safe. Happy Sailing. Susanne

• Like 1