September Sailings?

fudge

Has anyone had a September sailing cancelled yet please?  The reason I ask is that we sail from Amsterdam on the 8th, I need three flights but as yet have only booked one, not holding my breath for the sailing.

I am also supposed to sail on September 10 from Seward. My SS Cruise Consultant told me some weeks ago that my cruise is likely to be cancelled. So I am just waiting the formal announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read on one of the other boards that CCL has canceled all cruises through September 15 and it is expected to go longer.  One reason is that the CDC has not been willing to engage in discussion about protocols for health issues on cruise ships 

The CDC probably thinks we should never cruise again. Remember when they said a ship is a Petre Dish? That opinion probably has not changed but who knows......it has been months since anyone has "been allowed" to speak about anything to the public................

This information was announced yesterday.  I wonder how Silversea will re-configure the schedule to get the Muse to Asia?  I assume they can't go from Vancouver?  The logistics folks at headquarters certainly are going crazy right now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/06/19/us-cruise-ban-cruises-suspended-until-sept-15-industry-group-clia/3222379001/

23 hours ago, nowornever said:

This information was announced yesterday.  I wonder how Silversea will re-configure the schedule to get the Muse to Asia?  I assume they can't go from Vancouver?  The logistics folks at headquarters certainly are going crazy right now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/06/19/us-cruise-ban-cruises-suspended-until-sept-15-industry-group-clia/3222379001/

Is it even going to be worth getting it to Asia? We're booked on it from Hong Kong to Sydney on 10th October but from what I can see it's not going to be able to go to Australia. I phoned SS and they told me that as far as they know it's still going but I just can't see it happening!

29 minutes ago, Mocamps said:

Is it even going to be worth getting it to Asia? We're booked on it from Hong Kong to Sydney on 10th October but from what I can see it's not going to be able to go to Australia. I phoned SS and they told me that as far as they know it's still going but I just can't see it happening!

Mrs Banjo and I have the same feelings.  We are booked to go from Ft Lauderdale to Auckland in Jan 2021, but our friends in OZ don’t think NZ or OZ will be open to cruise ships by then.    We are seriously looking at canceling in the near future, because the situation doesn’t look like it is improving sufficiently.

I'm holding off on cancelling because if SS cancel then my understanding is that we'll get a full refund or 125% FCC. My dilemma then will be which to take. We really want to cruise again and Silversea are our favourite but can all these cruise lines survive if they don't get to cruise again this year?

On 6/20/2020 at 9:08 AM, Lois R said:

The CDC probably thinks we should never cruise again. Remember when they said a ship is a Petre Dish? That opinion probably has not changed but who knows......it has been months since anyone has "been allowed" to speak about anything to the public................

Not sure, Lois, that the CDC has been totally silent and/or doing nothing.  From the top newspaper located at the center of the cruising industry in Florida, the Miami Herald had this headline Friday afternoon: “U.S. cruises canceled through mid-September as COVID-19 outbreaks continue” with these highlights: Summer cruising is canceled.  The cruise industry lobbying group Cruise Lines International Association announced Friday that its member lines will cancel U.S. cruises though September 14. Cruise ships continue to experience COVID-19 outbreaks more than three months after the industry shut down on March 13 as more than 42,000 crew members remain stuck at sea without pay.”

Of added interest from this news story, their writer shared: "So far conversations between the CDC and cruise companies have focused on preventing outbreaks among crew during the hiatus, a spokesperson for the agency said, and have not yet addressed how cruising will safely resume with passengers on board."

My reaction/analysis?:  CDC does not, yet, see a clear path forward for giving the green light to resume cruising operations. Indirectly related, yesterday's news had stories about how Major League Baseball, college football, etc., are seeing infections Covid-19 increasing as they are trying out ways to restart some form of operations. 

Full story at: 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243663752.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,432 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On 6/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, nowornever said:

I wonder how Silversea will re-configure the schedule to get the Muse to Asia?  I assume they can't go from Vancouver?  The logistics folks at headquarters certainly are going crazy right now.

Why?, a magic wand was waved and the Muse arrives in Manila tomorrow!

Yes we received a call from silversea for the September cruise from Norway to Halifax for 21 days, aboard the Silver Explorer . They said it was cancelled due to Canada not allowing them to dock. So it looks like the next cruise to replace it is going to be mid 2022 or 2023. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I said I wouldn't hold my breath for our September 8th sailing, Amsterdam to the UK. We have just been informed of the cancellation of the cruise. Really disappointed, I was going to celebrate my 70 th birthday during the cruise. 

Oh well, not the end of the world, shall we have a FCC or refund, million dollar question? 🤔

48 minutes ago, fudge said:

Oh well, not the end of the world, shall we have a FCC or refund, million dollar question? 🤔

To our CC Board friend in Cyprus, if it were my money, I would want my "CASH" in my hands and personal bank account.  NOT resting in some international's corporation beyond our direct control and any effective legal reach.   This "situation" is going to be taking longer for a recovery and that could put such credits and refunds beyond any access in case of a worst-case situation.  Agree, it is a "million-dollar question"!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

11 hours ago, relaxed traveler said:

Received notification yesterday that the Oct 17 and Oct 29 Spirit Cruise were cancelled. 

Oct. 29 cancellation, yikes!  That is getting very close to the Moon’s Oct. 30 sailing.  Wonder what is going to happen to all of the October Moon sailings?

It will be interesting to follow the online angst when the reality of the inevitable equation is confirmed.

There will come a point where folks will realise that the cruise lines cannot survive , let alone sail anywhere and want  a refund.

There will , of course, be no cash left and the wailing will be heard around the world… 🙂

Of course I could be wrong….

Because our September sailing was cancelled we took the plunge and re booked a cruise for next September, Silver Moon, Venice to Athens 7 days. Lets hope the world is a better place by then?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fudge said:

Because our September sailing was cancelled we took the plunge and re booked a cruise for next September, Silver Moon, Venice to Athens 7 days. Lets hope the world is a better place by then?

Hi, one would hope...........🙂

I just put a deposit down on an OCT 2021 cruise.  Spirit for 12 nights, Lisbon to Lisbon.......it is a wonderful

itinerary and the places are all new for me.  The Azores and the Canary Islands are on the itinerary and I hope

we can sail as well.🙂

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, one would hope...........🙂

I just put a deposit down on an OCT 2021 cruise.  Spirit for 12 nights, Lisbon to Lisbon.......it is a wonderful

itinerary and the places are all new for me.  The Azores and the Canary Islands are on the itinerary and I hope

we can sail as well.🙂

That cruise sounds really great. It is very much like the one we were going to do this September on the Spirit except that one went from Lisbon to Barcelona. I really like that Oct 2021 cruise but still debating whether to wait until 2022 to cruise. Just not sure since so much is in the air. I wish we all knew where things were heading.  I am not sure when September and October cruise itineraries for 2022 are released for I would like to see if there are any similar cruises then. I really want to plan a cruise but it is so difficult now.

2 minutes ago, travelingbagheera said:

That cruise sounds really great. It is very much like the one we were going to do this September on the Spirit except that one went from Lisbon to Barcelona. I really like that Oct 2021 cruise but still debating whether to wait until 2022 to cruise. Just not sure since so much is in the air. I wish we all knew where things were heading.  I am not sure when September and October cruise itineraries for 2022 are released for I would like to see if there are any similar cruises then. I really want to plan a cruise but it is so difficult now.

Hi, they have 2022 itineraries on the website now......maybe not all of them but there are some available.  

I understand how you feel though.  I figured I could put a grand down (they have lowered the deposit) and I don't have

to give any more money for a good while (like next year LOL).   If that time comes where I have to make final payment

and things don't look promising I can transfer that $$ to 2022 cruise.   You are right, it is very uncertain and nobody

knows the timing of anything.

Yes, $1000 deposit does make the idea more appealing. I will think about it because that cruise does look like one we would like. I would also like the business upgrade but I have a feeling that would be available for awhile so we could wait a bit to pay for that. I think the 2022 are up to June on the website. I am waiting to see the September October sailings. We think fall would be a nice time to go to Europe. I suppose they will release them in not too long. 

We all are left to take our best guess at what is going to happen. 

Oh, I always book that business class upgrade too!😀....once you fly it you never go back to coach!  And I agree,

October weather will probably be really nice. 

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Oh, I always book that business class upgrade too!😀....once you fly it you never go back to coach!  And I agree,

October weather will probably be really nice. 

Isn't it the truth about business class? Once we started we cannot stop lol. I suppose the upgrade availability will last until early next year. I do not want to pay until it is a fairly sure the cruise will be a go. 

I just retired from teaching and so now we can finally travel in off times like October. Well let us hope we can all travel soon. 🙂