Another obstacle, can I renew my passport?

crusinbanjo

As I’m sure many already know, Mrs Banjo and I are scheduled to end a trip in Jan 21 8n Auckland NZ.  Our plan was to renew our passports now, (they expire in April 2021),  so as to have extended the expire date beyond the six month requirement.  When reading up on renewals, apparently the centers are not working on anything except “emergency requests” and we would not be considered an emergency.  What they are doing is piling up the incoming requests and will work on them on a first in, first out procedure when they get back to work.  When will that be? Who knows.  So I am reluctant to send in our passports for fear they may not be renewed and returned for many months.  What to do?

It appears that the US State Department is now working on all passport applications, both new and renewal, in the order they were received.  They have a backlog of 1.72 million applications currently but in the past week, increased the number issued per week to 154,000.  So they are making progress in reducing the backlog.  At the rate they are now processing applications, they should have the backlog completely resolved in approximately 12 weeks.  They say that in all phases of their facility re-openings, "Applications will be processed on a first in, first out basis, beginning with the oldest applications received. "

Here is the information from their COVID-19 update webpage (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html):

Are you making progress on U.S. passport applications?

Yes. Every Thursday, we will publish U.S. passport statistics in the table below so you can track our weekly progress as staff at our agencies and centers safely work on applications. This week, 14 of our agencies and centers moved to phase one of our three phase reopening plan.

Week (Thursday-Wednesday) Applications Received Passports Awaiting Issuance* Passports Issued
This Week (June 11-17) 120,000 1.72 million 154,000
Last Week (June 4-10) 92,000 1.76 million 38,000

*The number of passports currently awaiting issuance is only a slight increase compared to what we have awaiting issuance in normal circumstances during June.

Unless you will need your current passports for travel before January, I'd recommend you go ahead and send in your renewal applications so at least they are in the line for processing, even if it takes a few months longer than usual to receive your new passports.  

That's where I am, mine expires in Feb 2021 and we (hopefully) have the Moon cruise from Lima-FLL in Dec. Paperwork is done and will be mailed Mon. We'd like to do something (Sandals??) in Sept/Oct. but won't book until new passport is in hand.

10 minutes ago, silkismom said:

That's where I am, mine expires in Feb 2021 and we (hopefully) have the Moon cruise from Lima-FLL in Dec. Paperwork is done and will be mailed Mon. We'd like to do something (Sandals??) in Sept/Oct. but won't book until new passport is in hand.

We were also planning to be in western Canada in October, but looks like that is now off as well

I guess we were really lucky with regard to timing. We sent ours in for renewal in January, right after we got back from Antarctica. They were set to expire in November of this year, and we had plans to go to China in June, so there would not have been 6 months of validity left to cover the China trip. Wishful thinking - we would have returned home yesterday...

Anyway, it took a few weeks longer than expected but we got the new passports back in late March, right before the stuff hit the fan and the Passport agency stopped processing applications.

So now we have brand-new passports with no stamps, and nowhere to go! 

The EDL does allow LAND crossing to/from Canada without a passport. It's not good for flying to Canada. We thought about making a run for it before the Covid-19 got too bad in New York... But we stayed put. Good to know for future reference, that an EDL can serve as a backup while your passport is in limbo.

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/enhanced-drivers-license.html

Unfortunately for cruisinbanjo, I don't think MA offers an EDL. I got mine in 2013 - back when they first started making noise about Real ID, and we upgraded Chris's license to an EDL 2 years ago in order to beat the rush. The people at DMV could not figure out why we wanted to get her an EDL, since we already had passports... Guess they hadn't heard of Real ID yet. Who wants to carry a passport around for a domestic fight?

45 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Unfortunately for cruisinbanjo, I don't think MA offers an EDL. I got mine in 2013 - back when they first started making noise about Real ID, and we upgraded Chris's license to an EDL 2 years ago in order to beat the rush. The people at DMV could not figure out why we wanted to get her an EDL, since we already had passports... Guess they hadn't heard of Real ID yet. Who wants to carry a passport around for a domestic fight?

I didn't know an EDL would work to go to Canada, Mass does have EDL now, it came in just AFTER I renewed my license last year.  Mrs Banjo has the new license, but because I had a passport I wasn't worried about getting the EDL anytime soon.  

I think I'll contact the G3Visa and see if they can expedite or not.

4 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I didn't know an EDL would work to go to Canada, Mass does have EDL now, it came in just AFTER I renewed my license last year.  Mrs Banjo has the new license, but because I had a passport I wasn't worried about getting the EDL anytime soon.  I think I'll contact the G3Visa and see if they can expedite or not.

Expedite??  As another U.S. Passport speed-up option, you can contact your local Congressional office and/or the staff for one of your state's two U.S. Senators.  They are happy to assist in order to help "PUSH" the process.  Just call and ask!!  Have had pass success in going this route and the State Department has special staff to assist those request coming from Congressional/Senate offices.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,371 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

One of the girls who works for me sent hers in in mid-March.  She received notification that it had been received then nothing.  She is still waiting.  doesn't really matter now as the cruise she was planning to go on in August has been cancelled anyway, but she is worried she will never see it again.  I am trying to reassure her.

• Like 1