What tour have you done that blew you away?

ilikeanswers

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Happy Anniversary twice😃 so I am guessing you went to Uffizi and The Accademia......😃

Yes, those were the two major museums I was referring to. And the city itself could almost be called an outdoor museum.

This year we spent anniversary #44 in Gronk, Pennsylvania, definitely different than being on a cruise. (Our best anniversary cruise was our #30, a Baltic cruise.)

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I thought I blew 25 years of marriage when I got us on the train going the wrong way, and we missed Florence. (In my defense, the signs were in Italian.

Is it OK if I got a chuckle of remembrance from your statement?  

Hamburg:  en route to Bremerhaven by train.  Couldn't find a sole in the train station that would admit to speaking English.  With my 2 years of college German not totally forgotten, I thought I had figured out which track the train would be.  A train pulled in; a Conductor walking on the platform knew no English; in the worst German he probably ever heard, I asked:  "which car to Bremerhaven"?  His reply was "Zwei, Zewi".  My friend and I got onto car 2.  As the train then left the station, my friend asked, "Is this the right car"?  I said:  "We will soon find out".  It was.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Is it OK if I got a chuckle of remembrance from your statement?  

Hamburg:  en route to Bremerhaven by train.  Couldn't find a sole in the train station that would admit to speaking English.  With my 2 years of college German not totally forgotten, I thought I had figured out which track the train would be.  A train pulled in; a Conductor walking on the platform knew no English; in the worst German he probably ever heard, I asked:  "which car to Bremerhaven"?  His reply was "Zwei, Zewi".  My friend and I got onto car 2.  As the train then left the station, my friend asked, "Is this the right car"?  I said:  "We will soon find out".  It was.  

🤣Well you did better than I did.

I didn't think of using either my 3 years of high school Spanish or 2 years of high school Latin. But it probably would not have helped anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

🤣Well you did better than I did.

I didn't think of using either my 3 years of high school Spanish or 2 years of high school Latin. But it probably would not have helped anyway.

Just as I am sure you did, I chalked it up to "just another travel experience".  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Just as I am sure you did, I chalked it up to "just another travel experience".  

Yes, it was funny later, but not at the time.

Plus I filed it away as something I had to make up to DW. And 10 years later we took a similar cruise (both Barcelona to Barcelona, but a few different ports and a different cruise line) and made sure we got to Florence by booking a cruise line Florence on your own excursion. 

Making my DW miss Florence considering she is an art teacher was just a terrible thing to happen. Luckily, now we have been there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have two, actually, because they were both part of my "I'm going to get over my fear of heights" cruise to Alaska. I've always been a little nervous with heights, but as I get older, it seems to be getting worse. If there's anything I completely hate, it's being afraid. So on this cruise, I decided to do something about it.

In Ketchikan, I went ziplining with a company called Bear Creek. I'll probably never do ziplining again, but I would recommend it to anyone, particularly with this company. My guides were fabulous. I'm not joking when I say that I gave them all the money I had with me as a tip (maybe $150.) because those two young men took such great care of me. They didn't sigh or roll their eyes once at this middle-aged woman who talked too much! At the end, I felt on top of the world and felt like there was nothing I couldn't do. I was exhilarated for weeks afterwards.

In Juneau, taking a helicopter onto Mendenhall Glacier and then hiking on the glacier itself. The guides used a pick to open a vein of fresh water for us to drink. It was the purest, cleanest, best tasting water! When hiking, they took us to a deep crevasse. They wouldn't let us get too close, of course, but the colors ... I never knew that there were so many shades of blue! Standing on that glacier, looking at this pristine landscape, trying my best to memorize all this beauty is probably one of my very favorite memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1